PDA

View Full Version : How many computers

teog
12-19-2007, 21:08
Just out of curiosity do you dive with multiple computers? I currently have a dive rite nitek duo. However Im considering buy the sherwood wisdom that is on sale. Would diving with two computers be a little to much? Another thought I could give the dive rite to the wife.

Damselfish
12-19-2007, 21:41
Some people do. I do it, because most of my diving is done while traveling and I am usually averaging 4 dives per day. A computer failure would interfere with my diving, and I'd rather that not happen in some faraway place I spent lots of money to get to. Reverting to tables isn't really acceptable to me as it would would cause me to lose dives and dive time.

If you are doing a local dive or 2 on the weekend, and it's no big deal to you to bail on a dive after your computer fails, and maybe dive tables for the next dive or maybe just hang it up for the day, then you don't gain much by having a backup.

Does your wife not have one at all, and does she dive with you? Then by all means, give it to her. Diving with only one person on a computer loses much of the benefit, and 2 people diving the same computer (if you are doing that now) is not considered a very good idea. A couple things to think about before getting that next computer:

- it can be nice if both of you have computers that are the same for servicing/battery change purposes, or to make it easier to operate both of them. (Even computers that are the same brand but not the same model may be close enough to accomplish this. For that matter, there are some computers that are basically the same and sold under different brands.)

- it is nice if both computers at least follow similar models, that way you should have a pretty good idea how much time your buddy's computer has left. If one computer is very conservative and one is not, you're going to show fairly different NDLs and have to follow the more conservative one anyway.

teog
12-19-2007, 21:47
Some people do. I do it, because most of my diving is done while traveling and I am usually averaging 4 dives per day. A computer failure would interfere with my diving, and I'd rather that not happen in some faraway place I spent lots of money to get to. Reverting to tables isn't really acceptable to me as it would would cause me to lose dives and dive time.

If you are doing a local dive or 2 on the weekend, and it's no big deal to you to bail on a dive after your computer fails, and maybe dive tables for the next dive or maybe just hang it up for the day, then you don't gain much by having a backup.

Does your wife not have one at all, and does she dive with you? Then by all means, give it to her. Diving with only one person on a computer loses much of the benefit, and 2 people diving the same computer (if you are doing that now) is not considered a very good idea. A couple things to think about before getting that next computer:

- it can be nice if both of you have computers that are the same for servicing/battery change purposes, or to make it easier to operate both of them. (Even computers that are the same brand but not the same model may be close enough to accomplish this. For that matter, there are some computers that are basically the same and sold under different brands.)

- it is nice if both computers at least follow similar models, that way you should have a pretty good idea how much time your buddy's computer has left. If one computer is very conservative and one is not, you're going to show fairly different NDLs and have to follow the more conservative one anyway.

Some great advise here. She currently does not have a computer and we both dont dive off mine. Thats why Im thinking about giving her min which gives me a reason to buy a new.:smiley32:

SarahBella
12-20-2007, 07:04
My husband and I both dive wrist comps...one each. The analogue gauges are the back up if the comps go down.

DivingCRNA
12-20-2007, 07:38

Some great advise here. She currently does not have a computer and we both dont dive off mine. Thats why Im thinking about giving her min which gives me a reason to buy a new.:smiley32:

Let me tell you, as a husband with almost 11 years of experience, wives HATE HATE HATE it when husbands give them their old stuff so the husband can get new stuff.
:fight::GRIM2A::anim_frag:

You could give the nitek duo to me :)

DivingCRNA
12-20-2007, 07:39

An option for this problem is "The Wheel". It gives credit for multilevel dives and give more BT than the tables. Just a thought for those that cannot afford 2 computers.

cheebaweebie
12-20-2007, 09:07
I dive with an Aeris Atmos AI. Always carry a seperate Battery. I just sold my back up, a genesis react pro that you could wear on a wrist but if your primary was to go down I wouldn't necessarily want to switch to a new computer because your nitrogen sat would be way off and you could accidentially go into deco without knowing it. At least if your attempting to do additional dives in the same day that your primary goes down. I would switch to tables if in the same day. Switch to your back up the following day.
I know lots of people who dive multiple computers... maybe a hoseless one with a transmitter and one on a hose. But both are used at the same time as to keep similar profiles for the day
I have seen divers with the hoseless ones have their transmitter lose signal or go down on a dive and that was their only computer. Technology has gotten better since then but I prefer my AI Atmos. If that did go down then I have manual guage backup that had pressure and depth on it and I always carry my tables.

fisheater
12-20-2007, 09:11
On the other hand, it's long been said that "a man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

teog
12-20-2007, 09:40

Let me tell you, as a husband with almost 11 years of experience, wives HATE HATE HATE it when husbands give them their old stuff so the husband can get new stuff.
:fight::GRIM2A::anim_frag:

You could give the nitek duo to me :)

This is probably true.:smiley36:

BSea
12-20-2007, 09:44
I've used 2 computers on a couple of occasions. But on my next Flower Gardens trip I plan to. Their rule is if your computer locks up, you are done diving that day. It's just too big of a risk for such a short trip.

divingchef
12-20-2007, 10:23
My wife and I both dive with the iQ 700, and I added a VEO 250 wrist from Oceanic as a redundant system.....I like havenīt the back-up, but I am still amazed at how different the algorithms are.....the Oceanic is much more liberal as to bottom time....I am very "sticky" about redundant systems......I have had enough "failures" along the way either boating or diving, that it sort of just gives me a little more piece of mind..

Damselfish
12-20-2007, 10:59
I wasn't gonna go there. :smiley2:

Damselfish
12-20-2007, 11:03
I dive with an Aeris Atmos AI. Always carry a seperate Battery. I just sold my back up, a genesis react pro that you could wear on a wrist but if your primary was to go down I wouldn't necessarily want to switch to a new computer because your nitrogen sat would be way off and you could accidentially go into deco without knowing it. At least if your attempting to do additional dives in the same day that your primary goes down. I would switch to tables if in the same day. Switch to your back up the following day.
I know lots of people who dive multiple computers... maybe a hoseless one with a transmitter and one on a hose. But both are used at the same time as to keep similar profiles for the day
Yes, a second computer is pretty useless as a backup if you don't actually carry it on all your dives. Of course, it would not make sense to have done a bunch of dives then change to a clear computer that had no idea about tthem.

Duckydiver
12-21-2007, 14:57
If I could afford 2 comps Id most likely dive with them

teog
12-21-2007, 18:54
well I decided to purchase my wife the aeris xr1 tonight. She wanted some basic and reliable so I figured it would be a good choice.

Zeagle Eagle
11-06-2008, 03:20
I carry 2 computers. One on my console and one on my wrist. If one craps out I have a back up.

MSilvia
11-06-2008, 10:09
Personally, I don't dive with even one. I don't see much value in it for the dives I usually do.

mwhities
11-06-2008, 10:19
I dive with a DiveRite Nitek Duo and a UWATEC bottom timer. I use my computer to make sure my UWATEC and I are on track. :)

Plus, I like to compare depths between them. There has been a few times below 50fsw, they read about a foot off or so.

Michael

Wetnurse28
11-06-2008, 10:26
I dive with Oceanic VT3 Wrist Mount and a trusty analog backup.

I say never dive without a computer, damn dive tables are way to conservative and dont account for depth changes.

MSilvia
11-06-2008, 10:34
I say never dive without a computer, damn dive tables are way to conservative and dont account for depth changes.
I say never say never.

I cut my own tables for any dives that matter, and set them to be just as conservative as I like. Most of my dives are either in the <40' depth range where I have a snowball's chance in hell of reaching NDLs, or they're square profile wreck or scallop dives without significant depth changes from the time I reach the bottom to the time I head for the surface. I very rarely make more than two dives a day, and almost never more than three.

My Uwatec bottom timer is all the computer I think I need... unless you count the PC that runs V-Planner for me. Bearing in mind that I've owned and used them in the past, if you can explain how I would benefit from using a dive computer, I'm all ears.

RoyN
11-06-2008, 10:36
Nothing fancy for me, using VT3, SPG gauge, and citizen bottom timer. Preparing for tech diving too so looks like I'm all set. Wish I had that one expansive tech computer though, but wishing wouldn't get me far and money is few and far.

MSilvia
11-06-2008, 10:40
Nothing fancy for me, using VT3, SPG gauge, and citizen bottom timer. Preparing for tech diving too so looks like I'm all set. Wish I had that one expansive tech computer though, but wishing wouldn't get me far and money is few and far.
Yeah, that's a cool unit, but unnecessary.

Rainer
11-06-2008, 10:54
Just out of curiosity do you dive with multiple computers? I currently have a dive rite nitek duo. However Im considering buy the sherwood wisdom that is on sale. Would diving with two computers be a little to much? Another thought I could give the dive rite to the wife.

I dive with two bottom timers. Necessary? No. But it has proven useful on a few dives when a teammates computer has died. Just took off one of mine and handed it over and we continued the dive. Also makes checking depth really easy when you can look at either wrist (e.g. during valve drills). Again, not necessary, but nice. Most of my teammates now also dive two gauges (again, simple bottom timers).

georoc01
11-06-2008, 14:07
I dive two computers as well. Both Air Integrated. Oceanic Atom 2.0 and a Proplus.

As far as the two watch theory, If you stick to the more conservative of the two, I find I am ok.

I have been with dive ops and a liveaboard that requires use of a computer, so I prefer to have both, plus a dive watch if all hell breaks loose.

Zeagle Eagle
11-24-2008, 08:34
Personally, I don't dive with even one. I don't see much value in it for the dives I usually do.
What sort of diving do you do?

Zeagle Eagle
11-24-2008, 08:38
Opps, sorry didn't read far enough in the posts to see what kind of diving you do.

imasinker
11-24-2008, 19:36
I dive with a Suunto Cobra 2 and a Suunto Gekko. I bought the Cobra when I first started diving and love it. I use it for tank perssure mostly now, re dive planing and i love to download the dive profile and figure out my sac rate with the dive manager, but I mainly use the Gekko while diving. I bought the Gekko just in case the cobra fails and I need to use my back up pressure gauge. This way I can still dive with a computer. I don't see anything wrong with using two, redundancy is a good thing. Does it really matter what everyone else thinks, if you like go for it. I know quite a few divers that do as well.

Aussie
11-25-2008, 22:04
I personally dive with two computers. Suunto D9 and a Suunto Vytec. Both are AI and I have a nice glass brass spg also.

Especially on long trips and Liveaboards were you can do up to 5 dives a day with a lot of different profiles and gas mixes (example, Air on one dive then nitrox for the rest of the day) it makes sense to have two computers running. If one dies for some reason you still have a computer with all the data you have done over the last few days. This is more important when on a trip for more than a week and your racking up alot of dives and alot of satuation time.

I also have old Aladin pro as a spare. It comes handy when a dive buddies computer dies.

Two computers of the same make or even the same model are ideal as there isnt a difference in the Algorythm.

Regards Mark

keyshunter
11-26-2008, 05:11
These days, I carry a Suunto Vyper and a Gekko on every dive, although I have never had a computer failure on the more than 1500 dives I have used Suunto.

DMWiz
11-26-2008, 05:37
I dive with a Suunto Cobra 2 and a Suunto Gekko. I bought the Cobra when I first started diving and love it. I use it for tank perssure mostly now, re dive planing and i love to download the dive profile and figure out my sac rate with the dive manager, but I mainly use the Gekko while diving. I bought the Gekko just in case the cobra fails and I need to use my back up pressure gauge. This way I can still dive with a computer. I don't see anything wrong with using two, redundancy is a good thing. Does it really matter what everyone else thinks, if you like go for it. I know quite a few divers that do as well.

I also dive a Cobra which I bought when I first started diving and later picked up a Vyper which was supposed to be for my dive partner at the time. He stopped diving so I now carry both. The wrist computer is more convenient, my cobra is now a glorified SPG :D

I also carry a brass and glass spg and dive tables on my bag as a spare and carry a watch with a chronometer which I start on descent on every dive.

Wiz

obrules15
11-26-2008, 08:58
I dive with an AI hosed computer on a console and a wrist unit--non-AI plus an SPG. I don't want a computer failure to ruin my dives.

RoyN
11-26-2008, 09:45
Thinking of getting a geo, but I'll save it up for my stage deco, the tech class, maybe my cozumel trip again. :D

greenmoray
11-26-2008, 17:19
I'm diving with two computers also since I picked up a Suunto Mosquito in 2003. Having 2 on a dive is great but not needed. It's nice to carry two on an oversea/live-aboard trip though in case one fails.

My Cobra has served as the primary and the Mozzy being the backup. I recently obtained a Suunto Vytec with transmitter and plan on using it as primary computer. My nephew will get the Cobra/Mozzy combination when/if he dives with me.

Shenanigan
11-27-2008, 14:53
I'll ditto what others have posted ... two. Don't want to ruin a good day of diving if my primary goes out.