PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Compter Users

bjoseph
12-20-2007, 11:31
I just purchased a VT-3 and have a question for you wrist computer guys. I would like to buy a compact, but high quality backup SPG. What I am looking for would show tank pressure, show depth, and have a compass.

What is the best backup out there? Highest quality, and smallest footprint.:smilie40:

NitroWill
12-20-2007, 11:38
Id recommend a brass and glass - small, rock solid, and reliable.

ScubaToys-SF Search Engine Output Page (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=brass+and+glass&Submit=Go)

I use this same spg, its small and reliable - I keep it clipped away on my hipring.

Damselfish
12-20-2007, 11:55
If you're looking for pressure, depth, and compass, you're really not looking for a SPG, you're looking for a console.

Depends on your diving, but if you want to keep this small, well I don't think backup up depth is as important as pressure. You can always look at a buddy's gauge or computer for depth; can't do that for air. And you could get a wrist compass, which is a bit easier to use if you actually use it a lot. (I'm not crazy about 2 things on my wrist, and actually prefer it out of the way in a console because I don't use it a lot, but just a thought.)

bjoseph
12-20-2007, 12:04
Thanks Damselfish. You are correct, I am looking for a nice, small console. I really don't want 2 things on my wrist. I guess I may just put a compass on a retractor if I have to. It would be nice to have a good console/compass though so that depth & air pressure are right there in front of my eyes while using the compass to navigate.

NitroWill
12-20-2007, 12:13
If you want all 3 in a console the smallest thing you can get is probably this tusa setup:

Tusa SCA-330T Compact Analog Gauge with Compass, Dive Gauges, Tusa, Tusa SCA-330T Compact Analog Gauge with Compass (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TusaSCA330T)

They also have it without the compass and without depth too.

CompuDude
12-20-2007, 12:15
I just purchased a VT-3 and have a question for you wrist computer guys. I would like to buy a compact, but high quality backup SPG. What I am looking for would show tank pressure, show depth, and have a compass.

What is the best backup out there? Highest quality, and smallest footprint.:smilie40:

Brass and glass. Compact or full size, as you prefer, either disappears when on a 22" hose clipped off on your left. Very streamlined, rugged, reliable, simple and time-proven.

Put your compass on your wrist (Suunto SK-7 compass in a Dee Sea Supply mount is probably the best money can buy), or, if you don't like wrist compasses for some reason, on a retractor.

FOUNDATIONER
12-20-2007, 12:29
I use a wrist puter and the Tusa SCA-330. It's pretty compact, accurate, swivels nicely when you want to use the compass. I just clip it to the
hem ring on the bottom of my bc with a retractable lanyard. Works very
well for me.

ertechsg
12-20-2007, 12:35
Why do you want a back up? you just spent good money on a great compu. Just looking you have < 24 dives so I assume you not doing any tech diving or solo. While a back -up may be nice to have you do have a buddy that has a compu right? Unless You are doing some type tech dive I don't see why spend the extra money.

Damselfish
12-20-2007, 12:45
Why do you want a back up? you just spent good money on a great compu. Just looking you have < 24 dives so I assume you not doing any tech diving or solo. While a back -up may be nice to have you do have a buddy that has a compu right? Unless You are doing some type tech dive I don't see why spend the extra money.
your buddy's computer cannot tell you how much air you have.

mitsuguy
12-20-2007, 13:45
I have a Mares small console that I am getting rid of...

Mares Compact 3 Gauge Dive Console at Divers Direct - Scuba gear & equipment online dive catalog! (http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts/ecatalogisapi.dll/Item?Item=42204&Template=9990000048000999)

Its a nice little console, but my wife wants a computer in the console, so she will no longer need this. It is virtually new... I use just the single gauge SPG version myself... it is fairly small as well...

bjoseph
12-20-2007, 13:50
:smiley20:

Personal preference I suppose. I don't like or want to be dependent on someone elses gear. If something that I own breaks, I want my own backup. In my line of work I always plan for the worst possible scenario. Relying on someone else to be right there with good info is nice.... I just like to be self sufficient.

Besides, so far the units suggested are all in the $100 to $150 range. That seems like cheap insurance to me. I'll probably spend more than that partying on New Years Eve!

mitsuguy
12-20-2007, 13:55
:smiley20:

Personal preference I suppose. I don't like or want to be dependent on someone elses gear. If something that I own breaks, I want my own backup. In my line of work I always plan for the worst possible scenario. Relying on someone else to be right there with good info is nice.... I just like to be self sufficient.

Besides, so far the units suggested are all in the $100 to $150 range. That seems like cheap insurance to me. I'll probably spend more than that partying on New Years Eve!

I'd let my Mares compact console go for $75, so it's really worth the peace of mind... :)

Navy OnStar
12-20-2007, 14:03
I have this same set up and I went with a retractable compass and an SPG. As damselfish said you can look to someone elses stuff for depth in a pinch. I Got a Suunto SM-36 which I can add a depth guage to if I want. I ma very happy with the setup

ertechsg
12-20-2007, 16:04
If you are not aware of that then you shouldn't be diving. You should know about how much you had if it should go out. Then you're heading for the top anyway right? Buddies comp can get you up saftly. IMO I don't see spending $800 on a great comp then going out to buy a console not for most rec diving.:smiley29: Just me though, but I also won't do cave or wreck penatration . AND THE VT3 CAN"Switch between up to 3 independent transmitters, tracking up to 3 Nitrox mixes or your buddy’s tank pressure

bjoseph
12-20-2007, 16:16
"or your buddy’s tank pressure"

none of my buddies have a VT-3 to monitor my pressure so if mine goes 'TU' I want a backup for myself. Everyone has their own opinion and that cool. I plan on having a backup for safety as well as convenience.

If my VT-3 breaks on vacation or while traveling I will fall back on my 3-gauge backup with tables and not lose any dive time. I was in Jamaica in October and saw someone get stuck on the boat because his dive computer crapped out while he was trying to program it on the ride out.

No backup. Long day on the boat. Like I said before... $150 is cheap insurance for a 'just in case' scenario.

ianr33
12-20-2007, 16:52
If it were me I would get a cheap nitrox computer (or a bottom timer) and put it on my wrist next to the all singing all dancing VT-3. That gives a quick check that the depths on the 2 computers are in agreement.
Would also get a small brass and glass spg.

Probably overkill for recreational diving but lots of redundancy.

Damselfish
12-20-2007, 17:07
If you are not aware of that then you shouldn't be diving. You should know about how much you had if it should go out. Then you're heading for the top anyway right? Buddies comp can get you up saftly. IMO I don't see spending $800 on a great comp then going out to buy a console not for most rec diving.:smiley29: Just me though, but I also won't do cave or wreck penatration . AND THE VT3 CAN"Switch between up to 3 independent transmitters, tracking up to 3 Nitrox mixes or your buddyís tank pressure
Sure I know how much air I have without looking (note that most new divers may not), but that's not really the point. My statement was in response to "you do have a buddy that has a compu right?" since that is certainly of no use to backup the OPs SPG.

And nope, if my computer dies, I'm not heading up. I dive with a backup computer. (Neither is AI.) If my SPG failed, I would head up - I don't have a backup to that, and while I may know about how much air I have, I'm certainly not relying on that for the rest of a dive.