PDA

View Full Version : Key Largo dive boats for novice divers

Rick56
12-20-2007, 13:32
Greetings,

My family will be in the Key Largo area in mid-March. We all are novices. I'd rather not be on a boat where we'd inconvenience more experienced divers, and I'd like to be with an operator that is patient with the kids.

Any suggestions for "family-friendly" operations?

Thanks!

BSea
12-20-2007, 13:40
Greetings,

My family will be in the Key Largo area in mid-March. We all are novices. I'd rather not be on a boat where we'd inconvenience more experienced divers, and I'd like to be with an operator that is patient with the kids.

Any suggestions for "family-friendly" operations?

Thanks!
Your best bet is to call the dive operation & tell them your situation. Some sites have multiple boats, and can accomadate differant levels of divers by placing them accordingly. I like conch republic, and they have multiple boats.

saltfly
12-20-2007, 14:55
I dove with my kids with Quiescence. Ask for Chelyn. She was great.

scubajane
12-20-2007, 16:35
we dove with 'rainbow reef.' they were great. let us decide where to dive. majority rules. am dives are deeper than pm dives. bunch of great guys.

BusDiver
01-08-2008, 21:01
Pleasure divers. It is a large boat and operates as a six pack. The owners are amazing and caring people who will dive with you and help show you around the reefs. You do not have to worry about just being another diver on their boat.

BuzzGA
01-09-2008, 19:22
I'll second Rainbow Reef. We dove with them the day after Christmas. They give you a guide and make life easy.

Kokomo
01-09-2008, 19:30
Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort tends to do easy shallow dives. Deeper wreck dives are prescheduled. They seem to work a good bit with kids.

Rick56
03-23-2008, 14:36
We just returned from our Key Largo trip. We dove with Silent World--they were a pleasure to work with and great with the kids. I highly recommend them.

Rick

terrillja
03-23-2008, 14:49
Call Conch Republic, they are extremely accommodating, and have an excellent staff. We dove with them for a week and had a lot of fun. Generally they did deep dives in the AM and shallow reef dives in the PM.

FyVe
03-24-2008, 22:48
Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort tends to do easy shallow dives. Deeper wreck dives are prescheduled. They seem to work a good bit with kids.

2nd that.
they choose reefs that have little to no current on that day, with good vis (when possible) and the crew on the boat is good to talk to going out/coming in.

mpd525
03-25-2008, 19:49
I would second Conch, or silent world, the conch boats will probably be a bit less crowded, but the crew are great, knowledgeable, and very helpful and accomadating.

KansaiKitsune
04-02-2008, 14:15
I dove with Scuba-Do while I was there, and found them to be very professional and fun. My dive club and I would tell them things like, "We wanna see some awesome swim-thrus," or "We wanna see some sharks," and they'd take us right where there were swim-thrus and sharks. They do all the wrecks, and they're very safety conscious. Also, they have cool looking t-shirts, with a neat mermaid logo, if you're inclined.

Give them a look if you get a chance. They launch from the dock right behind the hotels in the channel.

doczerothree
04-02-2008, 16:18
I dove with my kids with Quiescence. Ask for Chelyn. She was great.

Quiescence is a mighty find dive operation and will accommedate any level of diver. scence Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations (http://www.keylargodiving.com/) check 'em out. And enjoy your trip!!:smiley20:

sidneydiver
04-03-2008, 00:03
Conch Republic are great!

scubabell
04-03-2008, 10:03
Thanks for all this information - I'm also looking for a Key Largo dive operator and I'll be sure to check some of these out. Do you all recommend advanced reservations or can you usually just visit the shop when you get to the keys?

Fireplug
04-03-2008, 21:01
Try to get Captain George and Mate Jason at Conch Republic. I had them on my first ocean dives when they were both at Cristal Charters and they took excellent care of me. They kicked me off the boat and got me back up the ladder in 6' seas. Totally excellent seamen and dive guys.

terrillja
04-03-2008, 21:05
Thanks for all this information - I'm also looking for a Key Largo dive operator and I'll be sure to check some of these out. Do you all recommend advanced reservations or can you usually just visit the shop when you get to the keys?
My advice is to reserve ahead, or to tell the shop what you are interested in. When we dove with Conch Republic, we told them when we would be there, what we were interested in, and they took that along with other divers and made it work. We had a boat one day where everyone had wreck cert, and AOW or beyond, so we were able to go dive the Eagle, which is ~110-130' to the bottom. If you had just showed up that day with an OW cert, you wouldn't have been able to dive on that boat.