PDA

View Full Version : "Free Ground Shipping"

Scubastud16
12-20-2007, 17:07
My experience with ST have been great so far, up until my last order. Within the past 2 months, I've ordered over 500 dollars worth of stuff from ST. I paid for shipping on the first order, no problem. Second order was free shipping due to the holiday deal. Awesome! Third order (much smaller), I expect free shipping again. Home page says "Free Ground Shipping." What did I get? Charged for shipping. 8 bucks worth for a pair of boots shipped ground.

These guys have been awesome, but if you're going to put a limit on free ground shipping (which I just learned was $50 or more), put that on the home page, right where it says "FREE GROUND SHIPPING." I just called them up, and the guy who helped me said "it's on the website." Sure it is, when you go to check out. On the home page, it says free.

I respect the fact that you put a limit up there...everyone's doing. Just advertise it on the home page. What is up there is misleading.

Zenagirl
12-20-2007, 17:31
If you click on the link it clearly states $50 in the first sentence. I hate it when I don't notice stuff like that too.

ReefHound
12-20-2007, 17:53
If you click on the link it clearly states $50 in the first sentence. I hate it when I don't notice stuff like that too.

Why would he click on the link?

FishFood
12-20-2007, 18:07

Why would he click on the link?

I always assume there's a catch. Especially with free shipping since that is something that can easily eat through any profit made.

Just goes to show Larry is a tricky tricky whtie boy :smiley20:

Scubastud16
12-20-2007, 19:22
Why click on the link when I'm placing phone orders? When a statement like "Free Ground Shipping" is made, clarifications are necessary....on the page where it's displayed.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it's a little bit of false advertising.

Edit: I CLEARLY understand (now) that it's on the next page. But why not put it on the front page too?

kancho
12-20-2007, 23:55
I am used to reading the fine print.. So I don't mind.. I ordered my stuff friom ST and I will order more. They are really good about their policies

navyhmc
12-21-2007, 05:47
My last order went like this: I ordered on line no forum discount and shipping was included on the original invoice. I get the "You've got cool stuff heading your way!" email from ST and on it it showed my ST forum discount and free 3-day shipping. No catch, my order was over $50 so I was good to go.

ST is now my #1 and only online dive shop.

Zenagirl
12-21-2007, 06:56
Why click on the link when I'm placing phone orders? When a statement like "Free Ground Shipping" is made, clarifications are necessary....on the page where it's displayed.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it's a little bit of false advertising.

Edit: I CLEARLY understand (now) that it's on the next page. But why not put it on the front page too?

Ahhh, they should have told you with phone orders for sure....but you didn't say that in your original post.

I also check out the fine print having been burned more than once, and I agree that putting it on the front page might have been nicer for the consumer.

adv_diver1
12-21-2007, 08:08
Always ASK, never ASSUME.

BSea
12-21-2007, 08:25
If the boots were $45 then yeah, they could have said "hey just $5 more & you get free shipping". But to be fair, it is the Christmas season. You know they are probably just a little busy.

And they can't put everything on the main page. Logically there has to be a minimum otherwise they'd be sending out $3 items for free, and the shipping would cause them to lose money.

Why not look at it this way. You've spent $500 with them. You probably saved at least $100 from what a LDS would have charged for the same stuff. You got a 10% discount. Plus $60 worth of GC (I'll bet you read the fine print there). So all in all you probably are at least $200 better off, and all it cost you was $8.

EDIT: It does say on the main page to be sure & check out the shipping page.

ScubaToys Larry
12-21-2007, 09:27
It's been very crazy around here... we've been processing between 100 and 200 orders a day... Shoot me an email at larry@scubatoys.com with your invoice number and I'll get the shipping credited back to you.

Sorry, guess we should have put that on the icon... not just on that page... and oversight... not a scam... honest...

Krafcheck
12-21-2007, 09:38
Thats awesome Larry.:smiley20::smiley32:

cummings66
12-21-2007, 11:07
That's why ST's is the best around, they do the unexpected and treat a customer like a King.

Dark Wolf
12-21-2007, 14:09
You know, maybe I am funny. I ordered a $300 camera from ST and forgot to mention that I was a member, so I did not get my 10% off. I did not say much, because that was my mistake.

ST has a history of fantastic customer service, and that is why they will still be around for many more years. But let's be honest, you did not read the fine print. On top of that, after spending $500 what is $8 in shipping? I am sure that you blow more than that on a daily basis (I know that I will spend MUCH more with ST in the near future because of customer service). I am a single father and yet the $30 just is not that big a deal.

Not trying to be rude, just my observation. But what this boils down to is that you did not check the fine print.

DW

BSea
12-21-2007, 14:53
You know, maybe I am funny. I ordered a $300 camera from ST and forgot to mention that I was a member, so I did not get my 10% off. I did not say much, because that was my mistake.

ST has a history of fantastic customer service, and that is why they will still be around for many more years. But let's be honest, you did not read the fine print. On top of that, after spending $500 what is $8 in shipping? I am sure that you blow more than that on a daily basis (I know that I will spend MUCH more with ST in the near future because of customer service). I am a single father and yet the $30 just is not that big a deal.

Not trying to be rude, just my observation. But what this boils down to is that you did not check the fine print.

DW
You know, I read this twice. It wasn't funny at all.:)

Iceman
12-21-2007, 20:13

DW

The basic fact is that there should not be any "fine print" to read. On the good side, that the malfunction is made right after the fact tells the consumer that it is not an ethical problem; it is a publishing problem.

As such don't blame the customer; let the company take the information and use it to improve their web site.

I agree ST is one of the companies that does a good job and has high ethics. This is demonstrated by the transaction we are just finishing up. It has been a snake bit, screwed up disaster. The final blow came when the manufacturer of the regulators I was sold by ST sent me two first stages that were missing O rings had not been tested prior to shipment.

This has cost both me and Scubatoys money, time and emotional stress. But both of us understand that these things just seem to happen sometimes; fortunately not often. So we are working it out and I'm sure ScubaToys will sell me more stuff in the future.

In the whole process we don't blame anyone; we work to resolve the problem. I encourage you to do the same.

Goober
12-22-2007, 01:30
It's been very crazy around here... we've been processing between 100 and 200 orders a day... Shoot me an email at larry@scubatoys.com with your invoice number and I'll get the shipping credited back to you.

Sorry, guess we should have put that on the icon... not just on that page... and oversight... not a scam... honest...

In a world were most would have shouted "read the fine print" from a mountain top, what a kind jesture. I'm very impressed. Now that's good Christmas Ju Ju. Merry Chrismas Larry, I hope this time of the year is excellent for your business and the stress loads are managable.

James

BuzzF117
12-22-2007, 11:10
I wouldn't fuss over $10 in the big picure of things when you figure Larry and Joe do offer upto $60 in gift certs just for posting. I had an issue with an order and called in and Rick took care of it ASAP. WTG guys and gals during a very busy time!!!

Scubastud16
12-22-2007, 21:34
The issue has been resolved.

I agree that there should be no fine print to read...put it out in the open, where the original statement is. There were no asterisks, no nothing.

I don't think they're scamming people. I woulnd't order from them if they did....I accused them of nothing. I merely put this up so that they could change their website. I called up and spoke to someone there, and all he could say was "Uh.......I don't know what to tell you." I knew that if something here, something would happen.

8 bucks in shipping is a big deal to a broke college student like me. ESPECIALLY when this was a Christmas gift to me from a family member that I was ordering. They were curious when they got charged for shipping.

Thanks for the wonderful customer service as always Larry.

Danny

BSea
12-23-2007, 10:51

I agree that there should be no fine print to read...put it out in the open, where the original statement is. There were no asterisks, no nothing.

I don't think they're scamming people. I woulnd't order from them if they did....I accused them of nothing. I merely put this up so that they could change their website. I called up and spoke to someone there, and all he could say was "Uh.......I don't know what to tell you." I knew that if something here, something would happen.

8 bucks in shipping is a big deal to a broke college student like me. ESPECIALLY when this was a Christmas gift to me from a family member that I was ordering. They were curious when they got charged for shipping.

Danny
Well, maybe for your situation that 1 line of "$50 minimum" would have helped, but what about overseas shipping, or shipping tanks, or lead. I'm sure there are several other things that would be exceptions. They can't put every situation on the main page. And there was a highlighted link that said be sure & check the shipping page. Very few others failed to notice this. Only in a perfect world would there be "NO FINE PRINT".

To expect a company to cover every conceivable situation in a paragraph on their home page, is a little naive. As I stated earlier, they could have made it clear when you called, but when you called back, and didn't get the response you were looking for, then I would think that you "politely" ask to speak to the manager. If that didn't work, then you would e-mail Larry, or asked to speak to him directly with your concerns. I'm sure you could have been given your $8 without having to go public.

Goober
12-23-2007, 11:04

Danny
Well, maybe for your situation that 1 line of "$50 minimum" would have helped, but what about overseas shipping, or shipping tanks, or lead. I'm sure there are several other things that would be exceptions. They can't put every situation on the main page. And there was a highlighted link that said be sure & check the shipping page. Very few others failed to notice this. Only in a perfect world would there be "NO FINE PRINT".

To expect a company to cover every conceivable situation in a paragraph on their home page, is a little naive. As I stated earlier, they could have made it clear when you called, but when you called back, and didn't get the response you were looking for, then I would think that you "politely" ask to speak to the manager. If that didn't work, then you would e-mail Larry, or asked to speak to him directly with your concerns. I'm sure you could have been given your $8 without having to go public.

Very well put:smiley32:

ReefHound
12-23-2007, 11:19
The adjacent text said to check the shipping page to be sure it would arrive on time. A simple note saying "limitations apply" or "see terms" under the Free Shipping graphic would serve as a catch all.

But it's not a big deal and there was no ill intent to deceive. I agree it could have been better handled privately.

Scubastud16
12-23-2007, 17:43
The adjacent text said to check the shipping page to be sure it would arrive on time. A simple note saying "limitations apply" or "see terms" under the Free Shipping graphic would serve as a catch all.

But it's not a big deal and there was no ill intent to deceive. I agree it could have been better handled privately.

Exactly!

...and to the previous poster, no, they cannot put everything on the home page. But what's the difference between "Free Ground Shipping" and "Free Ground Shipping for orders over $50?" A smaller font and another line? To say "Free Ground Shipping" with no reference to another page with limitations, or without limitations on that page (and you cannot argue that there was a reference to the limitations on another page, because the only reference was to shipping time), is misleading.

wheelman
12-23-2007, 18:25
In the end, no harm no foul.

fisheater
12-23-2007, 19:30
In the end, no harm no foul.

Speaking of "ends," isn't it time this thread came to an end?

Scubastud16
12-23-2007, 22:22
Yup. I'm not aware of a way to close the thread, I wanted to about 2 days ago!

CaptainRon
12-23-2007, 22:53
Yup. I'm not aware of a way to close the thread, I wanted to about 2 days ago!

How about:

"Th-Th-Th-That's all Folks!!!"

:smiley31:

Goober
12-24-2007, 05:30
:smiley32: