PDA

View Full Version : Worst Dive of the Year?

Kingpatzer
12-22-2007, 16:18
Ok, so 2007 is closing down. What was your worst dive experience of the last year, and what did you lessons did you learn from it?

For me, my worst dive was my deep water dive for AOW. I was wearing a 7mm, hood and gloves, but the first thermocline in the quarry where I was at was high at about 20' down, and a second thermocline at 60 dropped it down to the mid 40's. My face hurt, my hands hurt, the cold was just more than I was prepared to deal with on a day when it was 80 on the surface.

I was breathing hard due to the cold. The depth didn't bother me, I'd made clear, warm water dives to 90' while on vacation before. It was the cold. I just couldn't take it. I just returned to the surface and was floating on the surface waiting on the rest of the class.

My lesson was simple: there are 2 and only 2 types of diving. 3m dives and dry suit dives!

Cold is just more than I can take.

My best "lesson dive" of the year was a boat dive in Puerto Vallarta. I hit the water and realized I had forgotten: my gloves, my camera, to defog my mask, and to turn my tank on.

The lesson was simple: pre-dive checks are important. I printed up a check card and had it laminated, and now go over the list with the list in front of me for each dive.

wheelman
12-22-2007, 17:42
My worst was cancelled due to bad weather. An Aug. trip that never happened.

dannybot
12-22-2007, 20:59
Worst dive: In Belize, the hotel we were staying at was in the process of changing their dive operator, they seemed a bit disorganized, but nothing scary. We booked a night dive at Hol Chan. The DM almost crawled into the current, kicking up silt ahead of the whole group. When getting back on the boat, he insisted that divers hand up their masks first thing, two of them got dropped (I managed to find one in the sea grass).

When we got back to the dock, the DM insisted all divers pay cash before getting off the boat, all eight of us had planned to just charge it to our rooms, no one even had any money on them at all. And to make matters worse, he jacked up the rates 50%.

After calling the shop owner, we negotiated the rates down to the published rates, paid cash and never went back.

emcbride81
12-22-2007, 22:03
My last dive back in November in Mt. Storm WVA I did three dives,

My dive watch flooded on dive 1
My surface flag was lost on dive 2
My SPG flooded on dive 3

Grin
12-24-2007, 08:54
Woke up with sinus issues. Looked at the sea forcast and thought it wouldn't be as bad as they were stating. Ate a few dramamines, loaded the boat and off we went. Sea were as bad as NOAA stated, and my Dramamines were only working about 50%. Jumped in and vis was about 5 ft. Completed the dive anyway. I was suprised my buddy, who I couldn't see underwater and the dive became a solo dive as soon as we were under anyway, stuck his dive out also. We both caught a few lobsters so we were fairly happy(me pretending to be happy, since the seas were slowly taking their toll on my seasickness). As the other pair was doing their dive I suggested we abort the day after they come up, and my dive buddy was estatic. And I was really, really happy to see him happy to want to abort the rest of the day. The other guys came up and noone complained about heading in. Whew! I hate those type of days. When your the boat owner it is stressfull to call a day as you don't know if others are wanting to stick it out. I am a inbetween guy when it comes to sea conditions. Some are much more durable than me, but I am more durable than many others. When vis sucks and it's rough that's two strikes. I guess it's two big strikes and we're out of here with my rules.

MSilvia
12-24-2007, 09:10
No particularly bad dives for me this year, but I'd say the worst of them was one I aborted when my computer flooded during a seafood hunt in 30' of water this past August. When I first got to the bottom, and tried to put a couple puffs of air into my wing, the o-ring on my power inflator extruded partially and there was a steady stream of bubbles coming from it. I quickly disconnected the inflator hose and added those puffs manually and continued the dive. I wasn't having much luck finding legal lobsters on that dive, but I got a pretty good haul of mussels and was tickled pink to have local water warm enough for me to dive in a microprene skin instead of a drysuit.

When I noticed my computer giving me bad data though, I was ready to call the dive. By the time I communicated to my two buddies that I was having equipment issues and was going to return to the boat, the bad data had turned into a bubble and the screen had gone blank.

On the plus side, the failed computer got me out of the water just in time... apparently my camera housing had a very slow leak too, and because there wasn't enough time or pressure for it to get more than a trickle of water, my camera escaped unharmed. Also, on the way back to the boat the other two divers hit a scallop bed. :)

Lesson learned: pay more attention to o-rings and seals!

Grin, I totally agree with the two strikes rule. By the time you get to strike three, the proverbial snowball generally has too much momentum for my liking.

Goober
12-27-2007, 21:11
My last trip to troy springs. It was not really worth the drive (3.5 hours on a good day) There is just so much dive traffic there now. And most are check out dives for OW students.

divingchef
12-27-2007, 22:36
my worst dives of this year were the 40 or so I couldnīt go on due to last minute changes at work requiring me to work.....seemed like once a week for a spell of about 2 months.....then I finally learned to turn off my cell the morning of the dive......since then, I havenīt missed one......

OTGav
12-29-2007, 22:19
Lots blown out with winds this year - then a chain of boat issues.

Up at 4:30am, on the road with the group at 6am, on the boat ramp kitted up at 9am.

45mins out towards nice reef - engine troubles - DM/saftey officer calls the trip (rightly) and we limp back.

Back at the shed washing down the boat while swearing at it quietly by midday.

Duckydiver
01-06-2008, 13:41
The worst dive this year was in the spring at the Ponquoge Br on Long Island. No vis to speek of. But I still had fun.

Puffer Fish
01-06-2008, 14:02
Mine would be a Feb dive on the Destin Jetties.. I found the bottom in 15 ft of water when I ran into it. The dive lasted less than 5 minutes.. but that walk out and walk back to dive is soup sucked.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-06-2008, 18:29
My wirst was the second dive from a drysuit class. I had to pickup large rocks from the bottom of the quarry in order to stay down for the dive. Miserable experience carrying that rock around. Problem was a drysuit that was too large combined with underweighting. Lesson: wear a drysuit that is just big enough but not too big and make sure you have the right amount of lead.

Kokomo
01-06-2008, 18:52
I guess I was lucky and didn't have any bad dives. There was one dive at Mt Storm where nothing felt right...bouyancy, equipment etc so we aborted the original dive plan to go to the 50 foot platform and just played around in more shallow water.

kancho
01-08-2008, 22:38
Last Sunday.. Since it is so warm the snow run off caused zero vis and cancelled the dive..

snagel
01-09-2008, 05:35
I didn't know there was such a thing as a "worse dive" - hey if your wet and weightless, what's more to ask. But, if you are asking has to be showing up to do some diving at a quarry only to find that a treasure hunt about to start. In minutes the viz went to about 2 inches with all the divers splashing around looking for treasure.

S. Nagel

Lone Frogman
01-09-2008, 05:45
Worst Dive of the Year? Are the ones I did not do, I enjoy all the dives. Even the dives at work.

mitchy
01-13-2008, 07:32
The one when I got motion sickness and chummed the water.:smiley11:

RoyN
01-13-2008, 20:56
The charter partnered me up with someone having no experiences in my local waters. Eventually the kid went into the chamber because he shot up a little too fast. It was his 8th overall dive and he was deep as I was at 100ft. From then on, I never signed up with that boat ever again.

navyhmc
01-13-2008, 21:34
Like a few others, my worst dives of '07 are the same worst dives of any year: The ones I wasn't able to make. :(

abcitydiver
01-14-2008, 02:18
it must have been that bathtub dive.....
:::ducking::::

marchand
01-15-2008, 12:15
My worst dive of the year was when I went to the keys. reefs are so boring.

cyclone3565
01-15-2008, 12:51
We dove the Dinosaur State Park in Texas, which is a 150 diameter hole, 12 ft deep, vis of 3 inches. I was looking for/and found something my wife had lost swimming there a few weeks before. In addition we found 3 watches and 4 sunglasses as well as a pair of swimming goggles.

DiveSooner
01-15-2008, 14:30
A so called friend let my dive buddy buy a sub-alert a/k/a the"quaker." My buddy, shall we say abused the use of the quaker on a Coz trip. To gain may attenstion on every little sighting, quack-quack-quack... More than 10' away... quack-quack-quack... quack-quack-quack.... you get the picture!

My friend, whom is an instructor at the LDS, was laugh so hard back on the boat.... My dive buddy, wife, didnt get the reason why everyone was laugh at me.... AS, I removed the device!

dannybot
01-15-2008, 17:09
A so called friend let my dive buddy buy a sub-alert a/k/a the"quaker." My buddy, shall we say abused the use of the quaker on a Coz trip. To gain may attenstion on every little sighting, quack-quack-quack... More than 10' away... quack-quack-quack... quack-quack-quack.... you get the picture!

My friend, whom is an instructor at the LDS, was laugh so hard back on the boat.... My dive buddy, wife, didnt get the reason why everyone was laugh at me.... AS, I removed the device!

I got one for my wife too. Last week: "quack" = "Where are you?" or "Quack" = "I'm out of air" or "Quack" = "I'm at NDL" or "Quack" = "Current too swift, abort dive" or "Quack" = "Look at the giant green eel" or "Quack" = "Swim for your life, the giant green eel is trying to bite your fingers off!" or "Quack..."

DiveSooner
01-15-2008, 18:49
It must have been invested by a female....

Quack = Nag

DiveSooner
01-15-2008, 18:50
invented*

dannybot
01-20-2008, 06:58

Quack = Nag

Yea, I like diving because she can't nag me underwater.

scubasamurai
01-20-2008, 09:58
late to the forum, worst dive was in choppy seas ( guess the marker bouy wasn' t reading correctly) stayed out anyway. if that wasn't bad the air temp was in the 40's and the water 59 and we were wearing 7mils my assigned buddy lost it in the water, never knew that you could really puke through a regulator!!!! the second dive the student , had only one dive to finish open water cert, lost it in the water puking and screaming hanging onto the anchor line and refused to go down. finally convinced her to get on the boat. the fish had alot to eat that day, thankfully i didn't contribute and suffered only minimal frost bite hahaah

DiveSooner
01-20-2008, 11:26

Quack = Nag

Yea, I like diving because she can't nag me underwater.

Not sure about your wife, but mine always seems to find a way to nag me, even underwater.... :smiley13:

Super-Duper Scubasteve
01-26-2008, 10:40
My worst dive was when I wasn't properly weighted and I had bad fins. My legs would float up and my legs ached like crazy from kicking :smiley21:.

hicole
01-26-2008, 10:57
Last year my buddy and I were first in and first out. We missed the manta flyby and the dolphin pod because we were in the boat already. BTW the diving is T&C was fantastic.

cutter77
02-14-2008, 23:18
Approximately 24 dives missed on a liveaboard I had to cancel because of shoulder surgery. 2008 will be better!