PDA

View Full Version : Snorkels

picxie
07-25-2007, 04:05
Who uses one and why?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think I might be part of a minority group as I always dive with one. I prefer using a snorkel on the surface and I think it's always good to have one (even if just one of those folding ones that go in your BDC pocket). Yet I seem to readan awful lot of complaints about how inconvenient they are!!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What's your preference?</DIV>

Judestudio
07-25-2007, 05:13
picxie, there's a big thread on "snorkels" over at the Mask/Snorkels/Fin forum

Here go smileys/smiley20.gif http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=371

kevinj1
07-25-2007, 13:18
When I got certified at the age of 12, my dive instructor told me to ALWAYS have a snorkel with you.
<DIV>I have listened to him for all these years, and have used it in the past from time-to-time.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

picxie
07-25-2007, 14:43
picxie, there's a big thread on "snorkels" over at the Mask/Snorkels/Fin forum

Here go smileys/smiley20.gif http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=371

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ahhh I thought there was one somewhere ... I read through the 2 pages here and thought I must have been remembering wrong when I couldn't find it!!! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gifI'm sure I've even posted in the other one!! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif</DIV>

sasscuba
07-30-2007, 17:51
No snorkel for me unless in heavy surf.

CompuDude
07-30-2007, 17:55
No snorkel for me unless in heavy surf.
What good is a snorkel going to do you in heavy surf?

DirtyWaterIL
07-30-2007, 18:15
I hate snorkels. I only use one when I'm in class. I wish the industry would try to phase them out as standard equipment. Ive seen countless people descend with a giant straw in their mouth only to come back up to the surface couching and trying to catch their breath. Ive also seen many new divers grab their snorkels, hold them above their heads looking confused wondering where the inflation/deflation buttons went.

diverkatie
07-30-2007, 19:23
I hate snorkels. I only use one when I'm in class. I wish the industry would try to phase them out as standard equipment. Ive seen countless people descend with a giant straw in their mouth only to come back up to the surface couching and trying to catch their breath. Ive also seen many new divers grab their snorkels, hold them above their heads looking confused wondering where the inflation/deflation buttons went.

That makes me laugh - we always tell friends that snorkeling sucks after you've been diving. Not only do you miss cool things that are a little further down, but I know a lot of people (me included) who have sucked in a mouthful of water because we are so used to having the air there...Your brain knows that there's something in your mouth that gets air in your lungs, but then you see something cool and forget that that thing in your mouth isn't attached to a tank or anything...But, I still wear mine when I am out diving, even though it can be an annoyance sometimes...

TxHockeyGuy
07-30-2007, 19:46

That makes me laugh - we always tell friends that snorkeling sucks after you've been diving. Not only do you miss cool things that are a little further down, but I know a lot of people (me included) who have sucked in a mouthful of water because we are so used to having the air there...Your brain knows that there's something in your mouth that gets air in your lungs, but then you see something cool and forget that that thing in your mouth isn't attached to a tank or anything...But, I still wear mine when I am out diving, even though it can be an annoyance sometimes...

I have actually forgoten several times that I cannot breath underwater. I've even tried to do so without the snorkel in, although it is more common when I do have a snorkel. I guess I'm getting a little too comfortable with the water.

picxie
07-31-2007, 03:32

Haha I too have been guilty of starting to descend while breathing from a snorkel!!

But I do disagree that they should be phased out. I think they can be an important piece of equipment in certain circumstances. For me, I use them all the time although could leave it out on most dives. But I wouldn't want to not dive without one. Who knows what could happen on the next dive.

comet24
07-31-2007, 06:37
I hate my snorkel. Seems it always in the way. Or was always in the way as I can't remember the last time I dived with one.