PDA

View Full Version : Maui Trip report day 1

Zenagirl
12-25-2007, 00:05
Although we arrived yesterday, today is officially the first day on island. We got up before the sun to drive from Kaanapali to Kihei and catch our charter with Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures (ERDA). Once on board the boat, the crew started talking about the whaleshark that has been hanging around Molokini for the past 3 days, so we headed out there to see if we could find it, which we apparently missed by about 20 minutes. :(

First dive was at Reef's End, which is a really nice Molokini dive. We dropped in and immediately saw the usual fish, but as we drifted to the edge of the wall, we were treated to a White Tip Shark feeding frenzy!! There were about five 3-4 foot White Tips going after something in the coral, and to top it off there were 4 or 5 huge Jacks hunting with them. This went on literally our entire dive (over 40 minutes) and it was crazy to watch.

Since we wanted to see what else we could find, we also poked around in the rocks and coral, only to discover a very large Yellow Margin eel. Within a few seconds, he came out of his hiding hole and began swimming away. It is always soooo cool to see a free swimming eel.

Our second site was Landing Craft and we were treated to a Frog Fish, a Spotted Eagle Ray, Leaf Scorpionfish, lots of Striped Cleaner Shrimp, a Mantis Shrimp (those guys are funny looking!), and a gorgeous octopus. Our DM did a great job of simply putting his hand near the octopus' hole to get him to come out, and when he did, the octopus sat in the sand for awhile watching us. Unfortunately one of the divers in our group was novice (and very stupid) and swam right up and almost over the octopus, causing him to move away. He never inked or changed color, so although I'm sure he wasn't thrilled by us being there, he was afraid for his life.

We also got some tanks and tried a night dive at Black Rock tonight. The water seemed really nice, but the current picked up during the dive and I wound up calling the dive....the first time I've ever done that. My buddies were extremely supportive of that decision, so it was no big deal.

Just goes to show that it's true....one of the most important rules of diving is that you can call a dive for any reason at any time.

Tomorrow we're BBQing with some locals in the morning, then we're diving the Carthaginian wreck with Lahaina Divers. Then we'll be diving with ERDA for the rest of our vacation. Yes, we got some pictures, but I haven't had time to process them, so I likely won't post them (or a link to them) until I get home.

I'll definitely post later if not tomorrow.

teog
12-25-2007, 09:32
Awesome. I would love to see some pics. I dove molikin 15yrs ago and loved it. Its awsome to hear whale songs underwater.

hychang
12-25-2007, 11:15
Merry Christmas!! It sounds like you're having a great trip. I can't wait to see your pics from your dives. Take care and enjoy.:smiley20: