PDA

View Full Version : New Job

lucidblue
07-25-2007, 10:55
Just gave notice yesterday and start my new job in a few weeks. Going back to one of the places I worked at in the past. Anyway, point is I have more vacation time, which should in turn equal more blue warm water diving smileys/smiley4.gif.

94GTStang
07-25-2007, 11:21
Sweet! That's always a perk.

JahJahwarrior
07-25-2007, 11:29
I got "laid off" at the beginning of summer, had just come back from vacation and had no job.....they didn't tell me ina dvance or anything. I tried to find another job, but most places didn't want to hire me for only a month. One place at the beginning acted like they would hire me, so I lost about a week and a half of time when that place told me "ah, nevermind." So, I'm done odd work, gotten into wedding photography, which is something I've wanted to do for a while. Looking at my finances, I've survived entirely off of money I've made, without taking anything out of the bank, infact, I've put some money into the bank! And it's been a relaxing time for me, which I really needed, the last four years in HS I have been working my tail off at various places, paid and unpaid work, and I've truly been able to relax for a while now.

So getting laid off turned out to not be so bad after all. Good luck with your new job!

JahJahwarrior
07-25-2007, 11:42
I realize that, but I am a student paying for college on my own....I actually had most of the tuition, room, books and allcovered, money from the summer was for the car, scuba and if I wanted any spending cash at college :) I think every two or three weeks in college I will have enough money, if I don't spend it, to fil up the car's tank. If I wasn't going away to a different town for college in the fall, I could have gottena notherjob. Most places didn't want to train me when I would be leaving in a month or a month and a half.

OP gave notice though, and has another job lined up, which is the smart way to do it.

Moxie
07-26-2007, 08:08
Even being laid off can be a blessing in diguise. I know of a few people who have found better employment that they would not have sought out on their own.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Congrats Lucidblue on the new job! More vacation time is awesome</DIV>

3rdEye
07-26-2007, 08:13
Even being laid off can be a blessing in diguise. I know of a few people who have found better employment that they would not have sought out on their own.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Congrats Lucidblue on the new job! More vacation time is awesome</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>i was laid off 3 yrs ago, and haven't had a full time job since http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif</DIV>

lucidblue
07-26-2007, 08:25
<div></div>
<div>Congrats Lucidblue on the new job! More vacation time is awesome</div>
<div></div>
<div>i was laid off 3 yrs ago, and haven't had a full time job since http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif</div>

Yeah but that's by choice smileys/smiley32.gif.

Thanks Moxie! I'm definitely looking forward to the increased vacation time... they also have programs that offer travel discounts. Haven't looked into them too deeply yet, but hopefully it can at least help with flight costs.

loudgonzo
07-26-2007, 10:54
Wish you the best in your new job. Work until you get fired or find a better job, whichever comes first....

dallasdivergirl
07-27-2007, 16:29
That's great! Congrats

Losing my last job was the best thing that ever happened to me.

plot
07-27-2007, 19:21
Everytime my boss used to make a reference to firing me (joking around of course), I'd just smile and tell him it'd be good motivation for me to find a better job.

He's quit joking around about it now because he's afraid I might really quit. (And hopefully, I'll be motivated to do so this winter. It's about time to move onto a dif. employer)

Moxie
07-28-2007, 22:11
I don't think I'd take too kindly to my boss "joking" that he would fire me. But a change of jobs can be a good thing!

Rascal1933
07-28-2007, 22:23
Hey there lucidblue,
My favorite frame of mind is:
"I was looking for a job when I found this one!" :smiley32:
If you keep that perspective it's all good.
The more vacation time sounds like you are off to a good start already!

Best Regards with your new job.
Rascal

lucidblue
07-30-2007, 12:33
I don't think I'd take too kindly to my boss "joking" that he would fire me. But a change of jobs can be a good thing!

I agree, that wouldn't go over well with me.

tx.lakerat
07-31-2007, 09:14

I agree, that wouldn't go over well with me.

I agree with this... I'd have a problem with this action from a boss

plot
07-31-2007, 17:18
if you deal with it properly then he knows he can't control you.