PDA

View Full Version : i hate itunes

Doug B
12-25-2007, 21:23
I hate Itunes.

It's gotta be the most non-intuitive, piece of junk software I've ever used.

AND, when my wife plugs in her Ipod, it pretty much locks up the comptuer. I had to tell XP to not allow Itunes to talk to the internet in order to keep the computer from locking up...

....and now both my kids of Ipods. Great. Trying to figure out how to load thier songs to thier ipods, and all of my wife's tunes get loaded.....

This software is terrible.

Shortyman801
12-25-2007, 21:31
Go here Tech Support Guy - Free help for Windows XP, Vista, 98, and more! (http://forums.techguy.org/), and let them diagnose your problem. They are like this forum, but instead of experienced divers, they have experienced IT Techs.

FishFood
12-25-2007, 21:35
Yup. Itunes simply sucks. Even the cheaper MP3 players have better software. Apple is a good company so Im not sure how they went so horribly wrong with Itunes??

teog
12-25-2007, 21:44
That sucks. I have no problems with it. I thought its one of the better programs compared to Zunes and Iaudios.

NitroWill
12-25-2007, 22:03
Been using itunes for many years with no problems. Then again, been using it on mac os x as it was created so maybe the problem lies else where ;)

divingchef
12-26-2007, 10:00
I have to echo Will, I have no problems with the Itunes, but like Will I use the program on my Macbook Pro and only use one Ipod on the machine...up to this point however I have not had any issues....

Shortyman801
12-26-2007, 11:04
I use 3 iPods on one itunes program. I have never had an issue before, and I am running XP. I suggest you go to the website I gave you, and air out your problem there, they are much more experienced than us.

hoop
12-26-2007, 13:45
Anyone have a FREE solution to importing all the media from an ipod to a new computer? I know there is software out there to do it, I'm just a cheapskate.... I really don't feel like loading over 400 CD's on the new computer either....

CompuDude
12-26-2007, 14:57
iTunes works well for me, on every PC and every Mac I've worked with it on. I've seen reports of issues sometimes with others running it on PCs, sometimes, but I have not experienced any of those issues myself. I would look to the root of the problem, because chances are decent that it's not iTunes' fault.

There is a ton of freeware designed to download the music off of an iPod, but you're far better off just copying it directly from your old computer. Check versiontracker.com and ipodlounge, and other places... there are lots of fan sites/ informal support sites to help deal with issues like this.

FishFood
12-26-2007, 16:11
I use 3 iPods on one itunes program. I have never had an issue before, and I am running XP. I suggest you go to the website I gave you, and air out your problem there, they are much more experienced than us.

Honestly, nothing to troubleshoot. What Doug is saying (and I agree with) is that it is just a plain piece of junk program. Ive used it for years and "never had a problem". However, Ive never used it once and thought "Man, this is a great program, I love Apple". :smiley21:

Really, just the fact that Apple made sure I couldnt just open it up in "My Computer" and drag and drop files into it (as I did with my MP3 players before) pisses me off.

CompuDude
12-26-2007, 18:21

Honestly, nothing to troubleshoot. What Doug is saying (and I agree with) is that it is just a plain piece of junk program. Ive used it for years and "never had a problem". However, Ive never used it once and thought "Man, this is a great program, I love Apple". :smiley21:

Really, just the fact that Apple made sure I couldnt just open it up in "My Computer" and drag and drop files into it (as I did with my MP3 players before) pisses me off.

That's funny, I've had quite the opposite impression. I'm nearly always happy with what Apple has done with it. Is it as lean and mean as WinAmp was? No. Does it do a heck of a lot more? Yup.

The lack of a drag and drop option is what kept the RIAA off Apple's back and lead to the current availability of legal downloads. Say what you will, but Apple created an industry, here.

kancho
12-26-2007, 19:09
I hate the itunes spam. I have asked many times to unsubscribe me but it never gets done.. i just gave up and it goes to my spam box..

Doug B
12-26-2007, 20:44

Yeah, exactly.

The program doesn't crash or anything (at least now that I've disabled it from talking to the Apple)... it's just not very intuitive. All I want to do is setup three "accounts" for each of the three IPODs, and then drag and drop songs into each "account" for upload to the Ipods.

... it's just that the software isn't intuitive at all... at least IMHO, and I'm not really sure how to setup the accounts, so, I just start clicking around until I get the thing to sync. It's very frustrating though.

Shortyman801
12-26-2007, 23:35
Your going to want to plug in one Ipod. Then click the name of the Ipod. Then scroll down and there will be a "Manually manage music" or something like that. Then, you can look at the music that is on your Ipod, and manipulate it without messing with the library on your computer. Or you can edit your music that is on the computer by looking at the music in your library, and then drag and drop it onto your Ipod. Reapeat this process for different Ipods, and youll be fine.

Lone Frogman
12-27-2007, 05:42
I tried using Itunes and it loaded every sound file on my computer. I used Realplayer to remove all the junk. Then I removed Itunes. Now I only use Realplayer.

MSilvia
12-27-2007, 12:12
Unless I'm just playing music, it creates a ridiculous number of hardware interrupts when I use it on Win2000 pro, which makes it often seem like it's caused the machine to freeze until it gets done with whatever process (usually synching) it's doing at the time. So long as I don't try to do anything else while I'm using it, no problem... it just seems to have been coded on the assumption that nothing else you might want to do could possibly be as high a priority as using iTunes. Unfortunately, my HP printer/scanner/fax and my Canon A40 both have software that makes the same assumptions. It makes me want to go do some programmer smacking.

plot
12-27-2007, 12:19
get "yamipod", it's a 100% free very easy to use program for putting songs on your ipod. doesn't download or catagorize your music or anything like that clunky itunes does, it's sole goal in life is to put music onto your ipod... and it works very well.

Yet another iPod manager - Downloads (http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/downloads/)

Click the windows link under "Binaries"

FishFood
12-27-2007, 12:41
get "yamipod", it's a 100% free very easy to use program for putting songs on your ipod. doesn't download or catagorize your music or anything like that clunky itunes does, it's sole goal in life is to put music onto your ipod... and it works very well.

Yet another iPod manager - Downloads (http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/downloads/)

Downloadin now. Thanks :smiley20:

torrey
12-27-2007, 15:17

Does it manage your music using the actual folders you have the files placed in? That's what ticked me off most about itunes when my wife got an ipod for Christmas last year. I keep all of my music organized how I want, and then it goes and re-categorizes everything, the bastard. Another question, will it convert mp3's to ipod format (m4a I believe), or will I have to convert them myself first (and then have 2 different file types of the same song taking up space)?

CompuDude
12-27-2007, 15:38

Does it manage your music using the actual folders you have the files placed in? That's what ticked me off most about itunes when my wife got an ipod for Christmas last year. I keep all of my music organized how I want, and then it goes and re-categorizes everything, the bastard. Another question, will it convert mp3's to ipod format (m4a I believe), or will I have to convert them myself first (and then have 2 different file types of the same song taking up space)?

That's an optional setting within iTunes that can be disabled, btw. I had an issue with iTunes re that at first as well, but it's internal organization scheme is actually so close to mine, I eventually caved and let it organize things. Frankly it does a better job than I did, and properly tags all files internally as well.

iPods play MP3s (and a bunch of other formats). Nothing gets converted to anything unless you have your settings wrong. Actually, nothing gets converted unless you want to. One of the first things I always do when installing iTunes, however, is to change the default import settings (for ripping CDs) from AAC to MP3. The only thing you have to stick with AAC (aka m4a) is purchased music, which has DRM embedded. (Just like anything legitimately purchased)

MSilvia
12-27-2007, 15:48
The only thing you have to stick with AAC (aka m4a) is purchased music, which has DRM embedded. (Just like anything legitimately purchased)
Of course, if you really want mp3, you can burn a disk from AAC and then re-import it. It won't have the DRM that way.

CompuDude
12-27-2007, 16:12
The only thing you have to stick with AAC (aka m4a) is purchased music, which has DRM embedded. (Just like anything legitimately purchased)
Of course, if you really want mp3, you can burn a disk from AAC and then re-import it. It won't have the DRM that way.

Right, although you lose a noticeable amount of quality in the process.

Personally, I own very few DRM'd songs, mostly purchased with gift certificates that were presents. I rip most of my songs directly from CDs I buy, which is my preferred source.

torrey
12-27-2007, 16:32
I may go back and re-rip my wife's cd's to mp3 then...and look into the categorization option as well. I have only spent as much time with i-tunes as I had to in order to get music from the computer to her ipod. I try not to open it because it brings everything else to a crawl.

CompuDude
12-27-2007, 17:05
I may go back and re-rip my wife's cd's to mp3 then...and look into the categorization option as well. I have only spent as much time with i-tunes as I had to in order to get music from the computer to her ipod. I try not to open it because it brings everything else to a crawl.

You can choose to have it copy items into it's own data structure, or leave them in place (i.e., the file structure of your own choosing). You can change the default music store location to another drive or simply somewhere else on your drive, if you don't want the default C drive location. (I keep my music library on a very large D drive, for instance, which is easier to back up and leaves my system drive available to wipe without losing data if needed.)

You can set the import format to rip CD's to MP3 (various bit rates), AAC (various bit rates), AIFF (essentially Apple's WAV), Apple Lossless, or WAV. Look over the Advanced tab in Preferences, and the various sub-tabs.

It's a pretty flexible program if you take the time to look over the options and don't just accept the defaults (true of most software, actually). I agree that it's somewhat heavy on system resources, but unless you are doing something really taxing at the same time, or have a computer in serious need of upgrading, something is wrong with your system if it is bringing everything else to a crawl.

I ate nemo
01-09-2008, 20:48
itunes is easy to use also i use limewire to get my music :bush2: hehe :billdance: :CI06R376:

I ate nemo
01-09-2008, 20:51
have you tryied debuggin it at all or maybe even redownlading itunes..sometimes that fixes it.

Brtobin2578
01-16-2008, 22:04
Itunes can be a pain but it also has help change the way people buy legal songs. When you have more then one ipod, you will want to make sure it take not automaic download and make it so you will download song manual. I am sure by now you have figured it all out. Not really sure why it would lock your computer up. I can only figure that you have an older version of itunes compare to your ipod. One fo the good features of itunes is podcasts which can be some great information.

mitsuguy
01-16-2008, 22:19
I'll never own an Ipod...

plain and simple - don't want to deal with Apple's BS software... and not to mention hooking up your ipod to another computer...

With any of my 4 mp3 players, I can plug them into any computer, anywhere, and copy songs (mp3 or wma) to or from... one even has a removable micro-sd card so I can even had extras to store stuff on...

I agree though, Itunes is not intuitive at all, and the learning curve is wayyyy slow... and a few years ago, I owned a computer store... I don't wanna fight with software, especially when there is something it should do, but doesn't...

I do have Itunes on my computer though, to download certain songs I can't find elsewhere... of course, as soon as I do download them, I burn them to cd and then rip them back into mp3 (the easiest, best sounding way to do it) which is a pain in the ass as well...