PDA

View Full Version : Hysterectomy

ixrayu
12-25-2007, 21:29
Hello ladies! I will be having a hysterectomy at the end of Jan. We normally start diving around April or May. Have any of you had this procedure since you started diving? If so, how long did it take you to recover. Thanks for any info that you can share.

jimmysdevoted
12-26-2007, 08:55
My mom had a hysterectomy when she was 45. The doctor she used had her up and around doing laundry within two weeks.
The niggest problem that she had was the gas afterwards.
She was given these teeny tiny Phazyme simethicone pills to take. For pain she took extra strength OTC Tylenol.
She also had staples and glue instead of sutures.

h2odragon1
12-26-2007, 10:14
DAN Divers Alert Network : Hysterectomy (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=107)

this should help you:smiley9:

Kingpatzer
12-26-2007, 10:52
Get up on your feet as soon as you can. You'll be miserable, but if you don't you'll regret it. Do your exercises and don't baby yourself more than you need to -- but recognize too that sometimes you will need to.

In general there are too types of patients: those who push too hard and those that don't push hard enough. Both will prolong proper healing. Try to listen to you body.

Get in a pool and start swimming or finning as soon as your doctor tells you you can. Once you have your core muscle strength back you'll be good to go.

jimmysdevoted
12-26-2007, 21:45
I wonder if pilates woudl be gentler after surgery. I know its streamlines you and tones well, its a thought.

ixrayu
12-27-2007, 18:42
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I am one of the people who push too hard so I'm going to have to really be careful!! I was told by the doctor that this is a do now or do later. So we decided now so I would hopefully be ready to dive by the end of March beginning of April.

scuba Widow
12-27-2007, 18:50
I wanted to wish you the best of luck...I have wished for sometime for the same thing due to the issues that I have...I think it would be easier.

ParrotheadDiver
12-28-2007, 07:31
When I had mine done 12 years ago when I was 45. I had the same thoughts so I waited until the week after my dive trip to have the surgery. With that said I was up and doing most normal things after 3 weeks, and they had to make an insision, but everyone has a different pain recovery level. Not sure if I would spring back so quickly now at age 57. Most doctors and DAN will say 8 wks but of course they are going to stay on the safe side everyone is different :smiley2:

Foo2
12-28-2007, 15:44
** I'm no doctor ** Just a thought, you may want to don your gear in the water if you plan on diving not long after you're released to play again.

ixrayu
12-28-2007, 17:45
Foo2, I had thought about that also!!! Great minds think alike!!

Kokomo
12-28-2007, 20:26
I've not had the procedure but I'm a nurse and you need to leave 6 to 8 weeks for recovery time. Things may be a little easier if it's a vaginal hysterectomy instead of an abdominal hysterectomy.

Chocoholic
12-29-2007, 16:04
Please let us know how it went. I may be having a hysterectomy in my near future.

jimmysdevoted
12-30-2007, 01:23
when i was yonger i had irratic periods, then when i got older they cam on time like clockwork. So everything straightened out after my daughter was born. I was offically DXd menupausal at 28.
Now I ahve endo and I am in chronic pain.. But with no insurance I cant get one. sigh. I cant even get an annual..... well hopefully one day i will get my wish........

Queen
01-01-2008, 07:48
I was down for a solid six weeks after mine. I had zero energy and slept constantly. I was in good physical shape before I had the surgery so I couldn't understand the malaise...the doc told me she had to get rid of a ton of endometriosis, maybe that the recovery longer?

ixrayu
01-01-2008, 14:06
I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I'm scheduled for Jan 29 - 4 weeks away!! I'm going back to work after 2 weeks but I'll mainly set at my desk (I'm the office manager and whatever else needs to be done person for a family practice office).
Queen, I've had several people tell me they had no energy for 6 weeks afterward! maybe it is just the body trying to heal itself?

Queen
01-01-2008, 14:13
Queen, I've had several people tell me they had no energy for 6 weeks afterward! maybe it is just the body trying to heal itself?

My doctor got frustrated with me after I kept saying "but I should be FINE by now!". She said "you do realize I removed a MAJOR ORGAN from your body right??"

Scuby
01-02-2008, 12:49
Hi, I just had the surgery in November, and did my first dive last week, (8 weeks post op) The first four weeks I was very tired, napping each day, and couldn't do a lot of physical activity. I would be very careful about eating and medication that is constipating, as my system was very sluggish for weeks, and this caused me more problems than the actual procedure. It was wonderful to get back into the water, and I just did a conservative shore dive, and packed my gear slowly, and just took my time. Best of luck to you, I am already happy that I had it done!

ixrayu
01-02-2008, 13:18
Thanks Scuby! You have made me feel better!

Danica
01-03-2008, 12:42
Horray Scuby! I knew you'd come to the rescue on this one!!!

Kokomo
01-03-2008, 19:46
I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I'm scheduled for Jan 29 - 4 weeks away!! I'm going back to work after 2 weeks but I'll mainly set at my desk (I'm the office manager and whatever else needs to be done person for a family practice office).

I'm not sure you'll feel up to this. Maybe they'll let you work half days for a while. We'll be thinking about you and hoping you breeze through this!

Li'l Castaway
01-16-2008, 12:44
Sherry,

I've had the operation, abdominally, about six years ago. You will do fine!!! There is a healing time but that is just a small blimp of time and it will pass.

Start moving as soon as you can - you will not regret it. Listen to your body - when you are tired, rest. (I should have rested a little more.) Leave the house cleaning to someone else. If there isn't anyone - then just leave it. Eat healthy!!! Some of the pain meds might make you constipated so if you can ween yourself from them it will be a good idea. Don't forget to drink plenty of water. (I wish someone told me that.) When it does hurt in the beginning - remember the important rule of diving - don't hold your breath. When you go back to work - go back slowly at first - you know your body, listen to it.

When you do your first dive after the operation, consider how you feel. You might want to consider putting on/taking off your gear in the water. Climbing up the latter with dive gear on is not a good thing for internal healing. You'll feel good until that night. (Kind of like taking skiing lessons - don't ask me how I know this.)

WARNING - naps can be habit forming.

I know that you will hear horror stories and you'll hear the great stories. Ignore the first. Let me tell you - I feel great!!!!!

You will do great!!!!!

MaryAnn

Chocoholic
03-25-2008, 16:26
Rats, I was thinking I would be getting 6 weeks off of work maybe I could go on a 3 week long dive vacation, if I had to have this operation too. The laugh is on me, no diving for 6 to 8 weeks, according to DAN. :smiley19: