PDA

View Full Version : diving catalina

mudshark
12-26-2007, 01:23
Wanting to dive Catalina soon and get the outside of my drysuit wet (finally!). I've used Scubaluv once when going through my lds. I won't be going through the lds this time so I'm looking for opinions on them, their boat King Neptune and Catalina Diver's Supply and their facilities. Any comments?

When hunting spiny lobster there, what do you do with them after you catch them? Will the restaurants there cook them for you?

I'll be in a drysuit as mentioned but my buddy will be diving with a 3 ml shorty with a 7 ml on top. Will that be warm enough in Feb.?

Thanks,
Anne

rriis
12-26-2007, 12:00
I just got back from there (dove it in October). I went through Catalina Diver's Supply and would recommend them. The dive boat was nice and the staff was great. I didn't see any lobsters, and I'm not even sure you can hunt them. The big attraction is the kelp beds and if you're lucky you might see a seal or two. Fairly shallow though, maybe 60 - 70 feet max (but, hey... more bottom time). I had a 5 mil suit and was fine. Personally, I'd where a 7 for the time you are going, but that's just me (I tend to get colder faster). Last thing I want to worry about is my warmth.

Otter
12-26-2007, 14:38
my buddy will be diving with a 3 ml shorty with a 7 ml on top. Will that be warm enough in Feb.?

I don't mean to intrude on your thread Mudshark but...

I have the same question only I have a full 7mm wetsuit with a 5mm hooded vest. Thanks.

CompuDude
12-26-2007, 15:03
You're not going to be toasty warm, but it depends on your personal tolerance, how cold the air temps are, and how many dives you're trying to do, and how long each is.

Technically, a 7mm suit should be just fine for our local waters. In reality, if you're trying to do four 60-minute dives in a day, you're most likely going to be REALLY cold towards the end if you're diving wet. If you're only doing one or two 30-45 min dives, you'll be cold, but fine. If it's 40-50 degrees and windy topside, it's not going to help you any.

As for lobster, you would do best to talk to the boat owners (contact them via their website) to see if they are going to sites that allow hunting. Catalina has both protected areas and unprotected areas, IIRC. You're not supposed to hunt in the Avalon dive park, although boats don't usually go there.

I've never tried to hunt on the island, so I don't know if any of the local restaurants would cook any catches up for you. A phone call would probably help a lot there.

I'll be at the dive park on Sunday, DMing a class. :)

surfin009
12-27-2007, 16:11
I went to Catalina in late Nov. We stayed for 3 days. On my first dive I wore my 7mil with 3 mil hoodie- only went to 30' for that 45 min dive and I got cold. For the rest of the trip I wore my 7mill vest on top of the 7 mil full suit and was nice and warm, even for the 73 min night dive!

CompuDude
12-27-2007, 16:15
I went to Catalina in late Nov. We stayed for 3 days. On my first dive I wore my 7mil with 3 mil hoodie- only went to 30' for that 45 min dive and I got cold. For the rest of the trip I wore my 7mill vest on top of the 7 mil full suit and was nice and warm, even for the 73 min night dive!

3mm is very thin for a hoodie in these waters. I'd pick up a 7mm at least. Otter Bay sells 12mm hoods that are even better!

scubabell
04-03-2008, 10:07
I dove with Catalina Diver's in March and a wet suit was warm enough for me. Full gloves, booties and hood were necessary.

EuphoriaII
04-20-2008, 11:01

This kindof infor is good for me to know. I travel to the area frequently and have thought about bringing my dive gear but wasn't sure a 7mil wet would be good enough. It still looks like I would be better off to wait for warmer months

CompuDude
04-20-2008, 16:37

This kindof infor is good for me to know. I travel to the area frequently and have thought about bringing my dive gear but wasn't sure a 7mil wet would be good enough. It still looks like I would be better off to wait for warmer months

7mm is going to be cold this time of year, to be sure (temps have been around 50F lately), but lots of people do it. If you're used to diving 7mm in 50-53 degree water, you'll be just fine.

Things will definitely be warmer once summer arrives, though, both topside and underwater.