PDA

View Full Version : Air-Integrated or wrist

LostnVA
12-26-2007, 10:25
I am looking around for a new computer so that I can use with my new EAN cert, but I would like to others opinions about whether Air integrated or a wrist computer is better and why? :smiley29:
Wireless is a whole new can of worms with a much larget pricetag as well.

RoadRacer1978
12-26-2007, 10:32
For the price I went with a wrist computer. Just got the Mares M2 for Christmas. I like the wrist computer because to me it was more natural to look at my wrist for the details of a dive than to reach down and pull up guages, plus during an ascent that is one less thing to hold onto as it is mounted to me. I would have liked to go AI just for the convience of never having to pull up the guages to look at my air pressure, but that is off in the future when funds are less tight. I haven't had a chance to get my new computer wet yet, but have been using a dive watch with integrated depth and time on it, so it shouldn't be that big of a transition. So I went with the wrist computer for the convience of not having to pull up guages as often and to keep one less thing out of my hands during the dive.

wheelman
12-26-2007, 10:36
I started with a console but moved my computer to the wrist. Just personal preference after having tried both. I still have my SPG clipped on my left side.

Mycroft
12-26-2007, 12:26
I started witha console AI computer, and grew to hate that. I now use a wrist mount wireless AI. Best type of computer in my opinion.

ertechsg
12-26-2007, 13:06
I use an AI wrist mount VT pro. The only bad thing I don't like about wrist mounts is if you have an accent indicator when you go up if you move your arms to much it will signal too fast and beep. Now that said I woulden't give mine up and I think most people like theirs.

TX1Chica
12-26-2007, 13:53
I look at my watch all day (to stay on schedule) so underwater its just natural to look at my wrist. I have been using a friends Aries but just got my own Geo for Christmas...can't wait to get it wet:)

imasinker
05-10-2008, 16:38
I Bought an Air integrated computer at first when I started up. I bought the Suunto Cobra 2. I love It and for the price It was a great investment. I looked into the wireless rout but the prices were alot more and I need many other peices of equipment. After I was finished with buying everything else I found a great deal on the Suunto Gekko so I have two now and some redundancy. I wear the Cobra up on my center ring of the BCD shoulder strap. I find this best since I love being stream lined, and It is nicely snug out of the way. If I need to see my tank pressure I just tilt it a bit and there It all is. No need to reach down. I keep a OMS brass pressure gauge as back up and haven't needed It yet.

texdiveguy
05-10-2008, 16:49
Non AI wrist is the way to go IMHO.

mobeeno
05-10-2008, 16:53
Non AI wrist is the way to go IMHO.
I like non AI wrist too.

rawalker
05-11-2008, 11:59
I have 2 wireless AI wrist computers. An Oceanic Atom and VT3 I like them both and haven't had any problems with either.
What I like about the wrist computer is that it can be used without the transmitter when using rental gear. You still have the computer you know for depth, accent and timing. Just use the rental's SPG for bottle pressure readings.

mitsuguy
05-11-2008, 12:57
wrist, non-ai here as well... I can't see spending an extra $600 after you've paid for the transmitter, and then STILL having to have a backup SPG... So long as you are comfortable with your air consumption, you don't have to even look at your SPG that often... even then, I clip mine to my left shoulder strap, and a glance down is all I ever really need...

Wrist mount over Hose mount for sure though - so much more convenient...

PFD305
05-11-2008, 15:21
I had a Cobra and put over 100 dives on it. I never had any problems with it. But when the AI- wrist computers started hitting the shelves I couldn't resist. I bought an Atom with the transmiter, and it's great. For the first couple of dives I attached another SPG just to be safe, but I soon came to trust it and did away with the spg. The one less hose is a plus. But the biggest one is that now I find that I dont have to think about checking my air. I am constantly looking at my computer. While pulling my Cobra out of my waist strap to check wasn't difficult, it was something that was out of sight and a wrist computer is always in front of you.

CompuDude
05-12-2008, 18:23
Wrist mount over hose mount fo' sho.

I don't care if it's AI or not. That's up to your wallet, and the type of diving you're doing.

elijahb
05-12-2008, 20:53
wireless air integration is really nice but it has a cost. I would get it if i could afford it

DOWNDEEP73
05-12-2008, 21:45
wireless air integration is really nice but it has a cost. I would get it if i could afford it
Ditto!

longtailbda
06-07-2008, 19:47
They both have their advantages, for me price was the deciding factor. I'm much more comfortable relying mechanical gauges than electronics. The convenience and flexibility of computers makes them a joy to work with. So I keep both for the best of both worlds.

Sansho
06-08-2008, 06:50
I've kept the mechanical SPG and added an Aeris Manta on the wrist, which handles air and Nitrox.

Aquatrax
06-08-2008, 07:12
I use the Aeris Atmos AI with compass mount.

The angle on the compass when mounted to the console I find, makes it easier to navigate and watch my depth and air at the same time. Gotta love 3ft vis

I have tried wrist mounted with seperate console but I prefer my current setup

thesmoothdome
06-08-2008, 12:50
In the minority here, but I prefer hose mount computers, AI or not. I hate having big bulky things on my wrist.

scootermcfly
06-08-2008, 13:20
I dive the Mares M2 on my right wrist and its great. My brother has two young boys that will eventually be divers-He told me that the extra money for an AI comp with multiple transmitters would be worth it so he could keep tabs on all the tank pressures would be ca$h well spent. For now it stays on the wrist and works great!

Zenagirl
06-08-2008, 16:10
I think this is one of those things that comes down to personal preference. I really like my Aeris AI (w/compass) console since it fits perfectly in the palm of my hand and I can navigate and see my computer at the same time. I absolutely prefer air integrated as I want to see everything in one place instead of having to look at two readouts (computer and guages) to see the psi in my tank. I'm also one who like the air time remaining (ATR) feature that AI computers offer.

I love the idea of a hoseless air integrated computer and will look hard in that direction when the time comes to replace my Aeris AI, but for now I'm very happy with my choice.

Hopefully you can find exactly what you want at the price you can afford.

Martin2
06-09-2008, 07:30
I would add another vote to hoseless AI if you can make it happen. ST has a handful of demo VT3s at a GREAT price if you're interested in going that direction.

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 08:51
Non AI wrist mount