PDA

View Full Version : Full foot fin choice

azdiver
12-26-2007, 19:22
I started off with Plana Avantis back in the late '80s then switched to atomic splits (LOVE THEM) about 6 years ago. Am looking into getting a pair of full foots so I don't have to bring boots with me when I travel to warm water.

I've been looking at both the Mares Volo and their Superchannels....

Would appreciate any feedback!!

CODMAN
12-29-2007, 11:29
AZ, for what it's worth I have the open heel Volo Powers (not exactly the same as the full foot Volo, but since you didn't get any replies I figured I should post:smilie40:). Well I really like my fins. The fit is great and they do the Job well, although they definetly aren't the most powerfull out there. In general, a good fin I'm happy with (can't find a reason to change). If I needed to change, I'd probably go with something a bit more classic like the quatro excel, and gain a bit of power at the same time. or I'd maybe give the raptor a try. But as I say, I'm quite happy with my Volo Powers.

Hope this helps a bit!:smiley20:

azdiver
12-29-2007, 11:43
Thanks.... any feedback helps. I tried the atomic full foots but didn't like them as much as my atomic open heels so am starting to think that there's a difference between open and full in the same style but want to find out if that's true or not.

surfin009
12-30-2007, 16:02
I would recommend looking at some free diving fins. I both free dive and scuba with the Picasso Black Team Fins and love them. I'm the fastest diver out there! Only qualm is that on beach dives with a little surf they are harder to put on.. and will probably go with the OMS slipstreams for those type of days. So far though I have only used the Picasso's and loved them. Check out Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.spearboard.com) for more reviews on free dive fins...
-Corey

azdiver
12-30-2007, 18:50
thanks for the info.... will check them out online :-)

CODMAN
12-31-2007, 09:43
But you must be missing all the cool small stuff to see! Like the gobies, seahorses, pipefish, cleaner shrimp, etc...:smiley2:
Oh well, to each his own!!:smiley20:

I would recommend looking at some free diving fins. I both free dive and scuba with the Picasso Black Team Fins and love them. I'm the fastest diver out there! Only qualm is that on beach dives with a little surf they are harder to put on.. and will probably go with the OMS slipstreams for those type of days. So far though I have only used the Picasso's and loved them. Check out Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.spearboard.com) for more reviews on free dive fins...
-Corey

No Misses
12-31-2007, 09:52
I still dive my plana Avanti full foot fins. I have tried others. But, I keep comming back to my Avanti fins. They are less bulky than open heel fins and provide the force needed to really power into the current.

Fins I have tried:
Mares Quatro open heel - I liked these fins
Mares Volo Power open heel - I did not like these fins (too floppy). You can dive all day (5 dives) and not get tired. The drawback is that with my finning style, I did not get the propulsion that I felt that I needed.
Tusa Zoom Split fin, open heel - These fins did not match my finning style. They require a shorter and faster flutter.

azdiver
12-31-2007, 10:00
i started out with avanti open heels but like my atomic splits way better over them. i just need to fins a good pair of full foots for traveling to the caribbean so i don't need to keep packing my boots. i do a lot of macro photography as well so need to take that into account when looking for a new pair.