PDA

View Full Version : FL Springs

ixrayu
12-26-2007, 20:28
Can anyone suggest some springs to dive other than Vortex (which we have done and love) and Morrison's( which we are waiting to do until I get more experience. We have been told that the vis isn't the best there sometimes)? Or if someone knows a good website that lists the springs. Thanks.

BSea
12-26-2007, 20:45
Can anyone suggest some springs to dive other than Vortex (which we have done and love) and Morrison's( which we are waiting to do until I get more experience. We have been told that the vis isn't the best there sometimes)? Or if someone knows a good website that lists the springs. Thanks.
Don't hesitate to dive Morrison. It can be as easy as you want it to be. I've found the vis to be better than vortex, but I've only been a few times to each of them.
Some of the other springs that I know of are Troy, Gennie, Paridise, and Devil's Den. However, these are all down between High Springs & Ocala. I don't know of others in the panhandle that are available to rec divers. I think there are some that are only open to cave certified divers.

BuzzGA
12-26-2007, 20:53
Check out the Florida Geological Survey's Spring Report DRAM, FGS, Florida Springs (http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/geologictopics/springs.htm) it lists all the big springs in Florida, gives their locations, conditions, etc so it may be a good guide.

FishFood
12-26-2007, 22:23
Morrison is usually better viz than Vortex. Usually as long as it hasnt rained in the past few days the water is crystal clear.

ReefHound
12-26-2007, 22:38
I agree, viz at Morrison is better unless the river is at flood level. There's a site - can't recall offhand - that lists the river levels so you can check.

Goober
12-27-2007, 04:59
Troy is kinda neat, I did my check outs there but it is like diving a funnel and can get very crowded. Lots of shops do check outs there so you usually have plenty of people draging there hands down the sides and bouncing off the bottom constantly.

In turn this causes terrible viz, and the spring never gets a chance to purge itself. It can and does in about 30 min but when it is crowded it just does not get the down time to do so.

Ginnie is cool, I'm headed there tommorow. Gonna hit the ballroom for the first time...very mixed emotions about that.

Devils den and Blue Grotto are about 15 minutes away from eachother and are very cool.

DUI just did a drysuit test dive at manatee springs. I've never been there but I've heard it is very nice.

I personaly love the springs. Not only are they beautiful but they allow a new diver like myself to get down time in and work on pinpoint bouyancy control in a fairly nonthreatening enviroment for the mind.

BSea
12-27-2007, 09:48
I love the springs in FL. I just wish I was closer to them. Yeas ago I went to troy when it was closed to the public. You had to get there by boat. It was so cool to be the only divers, and of course it was crystal clear. I went again last spring, and there were about 20 divers. It wasn't near as nice a dive. But it's a great beginners dive.

My favorite spring is orange in the peacock system (Just stay out of the cave). It's covered with duck weed, and it it's a sunny day, the beam of light that comes through where your bubbles break up the duck weed is an awsome sight. But it's an area only big enough for 3 or 4 divers at a time.

If you want an easy beginners spring, try alexander springs. The depth is only about 25', and there is enough flow to keep it clear even with many divers.

ixrayu
12-27-2007, 18:26
Thanks for the tips! I'll be looking into everything suggested. We love Vortex and the quarries that we dive around the house. Florida is such a quick weekend trip for us that we are trying to find some places to dive this summer. Great husband and wife time away when our 17 year old doesn't go and when he does go nice time with him since he is geting older. Our 4 year old will probably join us when she is big enough!

Zyxistal
12-27-2007, 21:04
Could check out Lake Diver - Florida (http://www.lakediver.com/map/florida/florida.html) it has a pretty decent list of the springs.

ScubaSteve
12-27-2007, 22:39

Try this
Florida Cave, Cavern, and Sinkhole Diving (http://www.floridacaves.com/)

Dive-aholic
01-01-2008, 05:40
Sherry, let me know next time you head down this way. My wife and I will meet you at Morrison for a couple of dives. Another decent dive is Cypress Springs, but it requires a canoe trip. Also, if you get cavern trained, it opens up a lot more springs.

ixrayu
01-01-2008, 14:15
Thanks Rob! We will let you know. As for the cavern training... I don't like caves!!! We have gone caving before and I have to fight down that panic feeling that the earth is going to eat me up. lol

blue37
01-02-2008, 18:39
Any suugestions for a first time trip? Considering Ginnie Springs for MLK weekend... will need rentals for my wife.

Goober... how about reports from you visit

Dive-aholic
01-02-2008, 18:45
Ginnie Springs has rentals.

Where are you coming from? There are some sites better suited to open water diving than Ginnie.

blue37
01-02-2008, 18:50
SC... about a 6 hour trip

Love to hear any suggestions... Recently certified...

Dive-aholic
01-05-2008, 10:04
Alexander Springs is a small, shallow area, about 25' max, but 95% OW, just stay out of the cavern/closet. It's fun for a couple of dives.

Troy Spings is larger, max depth about 80', but lots to see in the shallower areas. There's an old paddle boat towards the river - a wreck dive... All OW.

Morrison Springs is a large basin with a river run. Max depth about 60' before the cavern starts. With the water levels up, there should be plenty to do in the river run now.

Vortex Spring is a large basin with fake caverns put in it. Lots of OW area, Max depth of 40' near the cavern entrance. Average depth is about 25'.

I'd start out at Morrison and Vortex (about 20 minutes from each other) and head east from there over the weekend. It will give you a good variety of OW sites.

Goober
01-05-2008, 12:06
Any suugestions for a first time trip? Considering Ginnie Springs for MLK weekend... will need rentals for my wife.

Goober... how about reports from you visit

Well considering some of the company you have here you "May or may not want my suggestions". However, Ginnie Spring is cool yet can be very crowded. Once you have seen it you have seen it. The basin is shallow 10' you can get 21' right there in the river just not quite as clear.

If you have never seen the devil system there I'd suggest snorkleing them. They are usually crowded as well and with the exception of dropping down the small hole that is devils eye and peeking under a ledge that starts that cave system, there is nothing there for you to see that you can not see from the surface and In my opinion a waste of gas.

Troy is cool yet like diving a funnel. I was there a couple of months ago. 68' max depth logged on the Vyper and that was sticking it back in the corner of the deepest spot. The paddle boat was suitable for waterbugs and tadpoles to dive as it was in about 6" of water. It too can be very crowded as lots of dive shops do check outs there. Viz can get horrible as a result. The spring can purge itself in about 30 minutes of time as clear as bottled water, but when it is busy with new divers bouncing off the walls and bottom it does not get the chance until most of the crowd leaves.

Manatee Springs is nice as well as Bule Grotto And Devils Den. In my opinion any of the springs are worth seeing. Some you will want to go back to others you wont. Where will you be travleing from? This may be more of a deciding factor.

phungy
01-19-2008, 22:12
I recommend Ginnie Springs as well. Every time I go tubing, I always see divers in the caves. I hope to go cave diving once I get licensed at the end of the semester :)

ianr33
01-19-2008, 22:28
I recommend Ginnie Springs as well. Every time I go tubing, I always see divers in the caves. I hope to go cave diving once I get licensed at the end of the semester :)

phungy,from your first post here http://forum.scubatoys.com/welcome-introduce-yourself/8776-hows-going.html#post122216
It seems that you are not yet certified. Being a certified diver DOES NOT mean you are certified to go in a cave. You need a LOT more training before doing so.

Just looking out for you. OW divers tend to die in caves.Please do not go into them.

phungy
01-19-2008, 22:31
phungy,from your first post here http://forum.scubatoys.com/welcome-introduce-yourself/8776-hows-going.html#post122216
It seems that you are not yet certified. Being a certified diver DOES NOT mean you are certified to go in a cave. You need a LOT more training before doing so.

Just looking out for you. OW divers tend to die in caves.Please do not go into them.

Thanks! You are right, I noticed that there is a separate class just for cave diving. Will just stick with snorkeling at Ginnie :)

mike_s
01-20-2008, 11:17
FYI... The county as Morrison Springs access closed right now due to "site construction" for improvements.

It may or may not be open. So call the county commision office first to check, or Walton County Rec Department.

It'll be this way on and off until summer according to the person I talked to in the County Comission office.

ScubaJW
01-21-2008, 19:00
Devils den and Blue Grotto are about 15 minutes away from eachother and are very cool.

Blue Grotto and Devil's Den are almost like neighbors, but only about 5 miles from each other. Just that Blue Grotto is down the road from Devil's Den. :)

floridabassman
08-15-2008, 11:49
Florida Springs: Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in Florida Springs (http://underwaterflorida.homestead.com/springs.html)

:smiley20: