PDA

View Full Version : how to lug all your gear

Scubakraut
12-27-2007, 00:05
As some of you know I'm planning my RTW trip starting in February. Now I have my nice Canon 40D but no housing. I have so much stuff I want to take but a housing and strobes would add a LOT of weight plus take all the space in my bag. I already think I'll leave my BCD at home though.
On past trips I shot with my SD900 and housing, maybe I just take it with me. How do you lug all your camera gear to far away destinations? And then your regular cloths and other stuff.

Scubakraut
12-27-2007, 17:45
Maybe I shouldn't have gotten rid of my G9..... :)

dbh
12-28-2007, 07:00
My dive gear (and a few clothes) goes in a rolling duffel that weighs around 5 lbs empty. My housing, ports, cords, chargers, etc. with clothes packed all around it go in a Samsonite hard-side suitcase (that is amazingly lightweight). One bag is 50 lbs. and the other is 53 lbs. I have not been able to get both down to 50 lbs. My camera, lenses, strobes, etc. as well as my laptop are in a wheeled carry-on. I also take my regulator bag with My reg., dive computer, etc. as my "personal" item (equal to a womens purse).

HTH,
Dave

No Misses
12-28-2007, 08:25
RTW? I do not know how remote that place is. Could you FedEx a package there?
I work in the technical service field. Sometimes I will ship my test equipment to avoid lugging it all through the airport.

Scubakraut
01-03-2008, 16:55
RTW? I do not know how remote that place is. Could you FedEx a package there?
I work in the technical service field. Sometimes I will ship my test equipment to avoid lugging it all through the airport.

RTW = Around the world
so shipping is not an option since I don't know future addresses where I'll be next.

Scubakraut
01-03-2008, 16:57
My dive gear (and a few clothes) goes in a rolling duffel that weighs around 5 lbs empty. My housing, ports, cords, chargers, etc. with clothes packed all around it go in a Samsonite hard-side suitcase (that is amazingly lightweight). One bag is 50 lbs. and the other is 53 lbs. I have not been able to get both down to 50 lbs. My camera, lenses, strobes, etc. as well as my laptop are in a wheeled carry-on. I also take my regulator bag with My reg., dive computer, etc. as my "personal" item (equal to a womens purse).

HTH,
Dave

2x+50lb bags Good lord, no that is way too heavy, I can take max one bag with 50lb max weight limit. That's it. So I guess some of my dive gear, probably BCD will stay at "home" or better storage.
I will have to live out of my bag for 10+ months.

devildog
01-03-2008, 18:38
Here is one of the ways I have carried my camera gear without taking up space. I have used hooks on the outside of my backpack to attached the camera case. Since the case is attached to the outside it does not take up space.

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 19:46
I'm headed to Thailand next week. The International flights are no problem, but the flights around the interior are limited to ONE bag at 44 lbs, and ONE 15.4 lb carry-on.

This is going to be a serious exercise in streamlining my packing...

Aussie
01-04-2008, 03:40
It really depends on your camera setup. I had a Olympus c7070 with an Ikelite housing with two ikelite ds125 strobes. I packed most of the camera gear into a storm case (im2400) which is the largest you can take as carry on. I had a laptop backpack which everything else went into that didn't fit into the storm case and a large backpack for my dive gear and clothes. It wasnt an issue around Indonesia and Thailand. I checked in the large backpack with the dive gear and clothes and carried on the storm case and laptop bag. I think the laptop bag weight heaps as I tried to load it up with much weight as possible.

I have then moved onto a dSLR and the required housing, different ports and extra lenses and dual strobes and spare batteries. These now all go into a Pelican 1620 case. Its a large case and it just fits all my camera gear in. It weighed 25kg on my last trip (Vanuatu). I didnt pay excess baggage but was ready too. I know it weights alot but I know that when its properly packed into a pelican case that it will be safe for the whole journey.

I travel with the opinion that my dive gear and camera gear will cost me money in excess baggage but the rewards of diving with my own gear and my own dSLR out weights that cost more so. Most times I pay nothing with excess but sometimes you do. Still cheaper than renting crap quality gear from a dodgy diving shop.

Aussie

Scubakraut
01-07-2008, 23:30
It would not be the trans Pacific flight that worries me. It's the small inland or inner Asia flights that restrict you the most only allowing 20kg checked luggage one piece. I think the DSLR housing in itself is hard to put into the luggage and then strobes and dive gear will make for one heavy bag or suitcase alone. Unless I can pack a entire carry on with only my cloths. :-)

Aussie
01-08-2008, 04:37
It would not be the trans Pacific flight that worries me. It's the small inland or inner Asia flights that restrict you the most only allowing 20kg checked luggage one piece. I think the DSLR housing in itself is hard to put into the luggage and then strobes and dive gear will make for one heavy bag or suitcase alone. Unless I can pack a entire carry on with only my cloths. :-)

They only restrict your free luggage allowance. If you go over you have to pay for the extra. That extra can vary from from nothing at all to lots of money and is dependant on the person at the counter. Being polite and helpful as possible will get you along way.
Most airlines that I have travelled with can be a little flexiable with extra weight due to dive gear. Jetstar Australia isnt one of them tho.

Aussie

torrey
01-08-2008, 09:01
So I guess some of my dive gear, probably BCD will stay at "home" or better storage. I will have to live out of my bag for 10+ months.

Just wear the BCD on the plane...tell them you don't trust their flotation devices and want to be prepared if things go downhill. :smiley_abused:

Scubakraut
01-08-2008, 11:40
LOL :smiley20: :smilie39:
That would be funny....

So I guess some of my dive gear, probably BCD will stay at "home" or better storage. I will have to live out of my bag for 10+ months.

Just wear the BCD on the plane...tell them you don't trust their flotation devices and want to be prepared if things go downhill. :smiley_abused:

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 13:14

They only restrict your free luggage allowance. If you go over you have to pay for the extra. That extra can vary from from nothing at all to lots of money and is dependant on the person at the counter. Being polite and helpful as possible will get you along way.
Most airlines that I have travelled with can be a little flexiable with extra weight due to dive gear. Jetstar Australia isnt one of them tho.

Aussie

Again, domestic flights in Thailand have a 20kg, one piece allowance. Over that and you pay per kg. It's not a monsterous charge, but it's there. I'll be bringing an 20kg extra bag on three flights next week, and the cost on Thai Air will be about USD$90. Well worth it, considering how much photo and dive gear I need to bring.

kancho
01-08-2008, 14:35
I had the problem of being over with my backage when I was in Korea. My scuba gear was over 20kg (45lbs) so they made me pay like 20 bucks each way. I was carrying minimal gear too. Airlines keeps on cutting the allowable weight it used to be higher I remember. THis was for domestic flights. So now I am going to be using bp/w my travel amount should be less. (alum bp)

fisheater
01-08-2008, 15:12

If you have a Zeagle or similar BCD, just tell everyone that you're looking for the 'chute pack you left in the overhead bin. That'd get their attention! :smilie39:

Aussie
01-08-2008, 15:33
Asia and the South Pacific (Australia included) have 20kg weight allowance. Some budget airlines now have a 15kg weight limit. The budget airlines are the ones to be careful with as they make their money from excess baggage.

Normally excess baggage is charged at 1% of the first class fare (or the most expensive fare for that route) per kg over the free allowance.

As an example I went to Bali Indonesia on a trip and I asked the Australian dive shop owner over there if he wanted any gear brought over in a hurry. I was thinking spare parts, service kits etc etc etc small things. Well anyway a 25kg bag turned up with everything in it. So here i am with an extra 25kg to add to my already 40kg of check-in gear and I think I carried on also another 20kg (put all the small heavy items in carry on helps alot).
Check-in at Qantas Sydney and I must have had the check-in lady on a bad day as she was arguing with all the surfers who had surf boards to check in which is alot when your flying to Bali and alot of flights have been delayed also.

Then she got me. Check-in weight was 65kg and I had about 20kg of carry on too (Camera gear, laptop etc etc). I informed her very politely that most of it is dive gear and camera gear. Taking into account she was already in a bad mood she she charged me for the one bag which weighed 25kg. Which I thought was pretty good actually.

You have to work out what you need and what you can do without. As said before If you budget for excess baggage in your trip when carrying all your own gear it is often alot cheaper than hiring crap dive gear. Makes sense to me.

Aussie

aggie99
01-08-2008, 15:45
Has anyone ever checked a scooter? I have two and would like to fly with them. Packed they are just under 50lbs each so they meet weight requirements, I was just curious if they handle the not so delicate process of airline baggage handling. If not do you normally ship them to your destination prior to arrival? Thanks in advance.

Puffer Fish
01-08-2008, 16:07
I believe that packing for travel... particularly overseas is an art form... I have special lightweight bags (so more can go inside). I have special microfiber clothing which does not weigh as much as cotton (two weeks of change every day clothing is just under 8 lbs).

Divide the weight per bag carefully and measure very accurately.

Even with a 7mm suit, I have never had to pay any extra cost...might happen one day... but so far...

I carry my camera (which is not that big), and my BP/W and all my gear with me, alone with lots of spare stuff. Usually I have extra lbs for bring back stuff.

cutter77
01-08-2008, 22:39
My son carries all the photographic gear....but he doesn't take much in the way of clothes etc. That leaves me "extra room" for the good stuff...like chocolate and jerky.

Scubakraut
01-11-2008, 19:39
you're right, renting gear at $15 a dive it makes sense to pay for overweight luggage $30 if you only have 2 dives. A lot of times you have more dives anyway. I may just try to wear my BCD once and see what happens. :-)
Then take it off and throw it in the overhead bin.

DiveSooner
01-11-2008, 20:29
I'm looking forward to reading about your journey.

scubajane
01-11-2008, 20:52

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: Great idea!!

Scubakraut
01-12-2008, 10:40

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: Great idea!!

I will actually try that, and wear it under my big thick winter jacket that I bring along. Will have to see how much I bulge up with it on. I think I will look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.... LOL

Scubakraut
01-12-2008, 10:46
Oh yes I'll be the one that will be in the news then that gets arrested by TSA in the US for looking like a suicide bomber.... :smiley29: as crazy as they are over here....
So when that happens at least I have a post here that can proof I am an innocent diver on a RTW trip just trying to get my equipment along....

bversteegh
01-17-2008, 01:29
I don't see how you get there with a DSLR rig without extra baggage charge on the domestic flights. I carry on my heavy stuff (camera backpack with camera/lens/strobes/laptop) as a personal item and a standard carryon rollerbag (housing, reg, dive computers, clothes for packing). these 2 bags are pretty heavy, but have never got stopped, even on Indonesia commuter planes). I have had to pay extra for my checked bag with gear (one large roller duffel - 55 pounds).

I know this is sacrilege, but have you consided a small point and shoot/compact housing with a single strobe? Much smaller - could still get nice shots.

robcomptec
02-29-2008, 15:02
As some of you know I'm planning my RTW trip starting in February. Now I have my nice Canon 40D but no housing. I have so much stuff I want to take but a housing and strobes would add a LOT of weight plus take all the space in my bag. I already think I'll leave my BCD at home though.
On past trips I shot with my SD900 and housing, maybe I just take it with me. How do you lug all your camera gear to far away destinations? And then your regular cloths and other stuff.

I have an Canon 5D, with Ikelite scuba case and 8 inch dome.
I use the Lowepro Dryzone Rover backpak to carry the camera, some lenses, and the Ikelite scuba case onto the plane.
I had a friend add an additional zipper to the backpak.
I place the scuba case in that section of the backpak.
The scuba case handles are outside the zippered compartment.
The neoprene bonnet of the 8" dome is one the dome.
I zip up with the addded zipper, and the scuba case (with dome) is snug inside the backpack.

As for my strobes, they are in my checkin luggage.

If interested, I will take a picture of this configuration.

- Robert

rfb3
02-29-2008, 15:18
I carry on all camera gear (Peilcan 1550) and valuables... AA allows two carry ons (not a lot of people know that). One "personal item" and one carry on. It's like us guys get to carry a purse, like the ladies...