PDA

View Full Version : My Secret Public OW Class Journal - Day 1

Clanggedin
12-27-2007, 13:14
12/26/2007 - PADI OW Course DAY 1

Last night was my first night in OW class. There was only 4 people in our class including my brother and I. Apparently the others that were scheduled to be in there re-scheduled to another date, so we have a very small class.

The dive instructor also mentioned that since our class is so small we can get all our our pool dives completed in 3 days instead of 4 which is nice. My brother (Mike) and I have already finished the entire OW manual and completed the knowledge reviews. In class we watched module 1 and 2 of the OW DVD and took a quiz. When our instructor handed us the quiz book it had the quizzes for the rest of the book and the final. We really wanted to finish all of the quizzes and take the final, but we decided to wait.

The pool session started at the local indoor pool at around 9:00pm. We went over setting up the gear and getting it ready to dive. Then we took our swim test. For some reason I thought that the swim test was taken with your mask/snorkel/and fins, but I guess not. We jumped in and made our 200m swim without stopping. I am not that good of a swimmer, and I have a desk job, so I am not in the best of shape cardio wise. This morning I am definately feeling the swim.

After the tiring swim we had to then had to tread water for 10 minutes. My brother was able to sit there in the water and DO NOTHING and was able to stay afloat (fat floats), me on the other hand, had to work a little harder to keep up. I tried to float on my back most of the time, but for some reason I was having trouble floating. I kept my chest full of air and arched my back, but since I was winded from the swim I was breathing heavily and taking deep breaths, that would put me under the water when I would exhale. I would have to switch from floating to treading every few minutes to keep going. I started my stopwatch at the beginning of the float and around 5-6 minutes into it the instructor ended the test. He said that his watch runs fast it that time was up. Since I was atill winded from the swim I didn't argue, but now I feel like I was deprived a little by not being able to push myself to complete the entie 10 minutes.

After the test we suited up and covered the things that I had learned previously in my "Discover Scuba" class that I took back in October. Reg remove and replace, reg clear with breath and purge. When it was time for me to flood my mask I filled my mask entirely with water and cleared it quickly, so quickly in fact that my instructor wasn't sure if I had cleared it at all because my atomic mask lens was so clear. He asked me if I was OK about 5 times underwater becuase he couldn't believe I had flooded it and cleared it so fast.

We also covered signalling OOA and breathing from his octo and simulating an ascent, plus manually inflating our BCD and dumping the air. After that was fnished we headed into the deep end of the pool where there was a huge class doing their final pool session and played for a bit.

I was amazed at how much of a change in buoyancy your breathing that make. I was taking slow deep breaths and I could notice that when I exhaled completely I would sink quickly, then I would ascend when I would take another deep breath. I ended up not taking as deep of breaths so I could stay somewhat neutral. Towards the end of the pool time our instructor had us tell him how much air we had left by using the SPG.

The other diving couple that was in our class is a couple of younger girls (15-17 yo) their dad said he had taken them diving a few times before, but they were utterly clueless in class, they hadn't read the sections and had complete disregard for the other divers there while in the pool. My brother and I were getting bumped into constantly by them, and a few times they would completely cut us off while we'd be swimming across the pool. At one time one of the girls dumped all of their air in their BCD and began descending quickly to the bottom of the pool. I thought her tank was going to make a hole in the bottom when it was about to hit, but she at the last moment recovered and was able to prevent that from happening. I did notice that with the Tusa regs were were using that I was developing a sore throat from the dry air. It made me want an all metal reg even more. Class ended at 11:00pm and becuase of the icy roads we didn;t get home until midnight.

All in all I had an awesome time excet for how sore I am this morning and we can't wait for our next class on New Years Eve.

I will be updating this thread after each class.

1/2/08 - PADI OW Course DAY 2

Last night was day 2 of our OW colss. It was originally supposed to be on Dec 28, but our instructor rescheduled it for New Years Eve, then called us and told us that his wife will divorce him if he holds class that night, so it was re-scheduled for Jan 2.

We actually did 3 dives worth of stuff last night it was very productive and lots of fun. During class time we watched modules 3 and 4 and took quizzes 2,3, and 4. Then we gather what we needed for the pool session from the back room and headed to the local indoor pool.

We arrived at the pool at 8:30pm and it was still full of people. We are not allowed to dive until 9:00pm so we got our gear ready. Mike (my brother) and I set up our gear like we were shown last pool session. I did however, cinch my BCD a tiny bit lower on the tank because I noticed I need a little more weight by my shoulder to keep me more horizontal in the water. Unfortunely all it did was now give me something to smack my head against while diving. Luckily I have a smaller HP80 steel tank that I will be using after the checkout dives. That should help in getting more weight higher up on my back without having the valve close to my head.

Once all of the kids were kicked out of the pool at 9pm and our gear was ready, we were then shown how to help our buddy don their gear while standing by lifting it and resting it against our thigh. Once our gear was properly put on we then entered the pool using the "giant stride" method and signalling "ok" once we surfaced.

We then spent some time working on clearing our snorkels, switching from snorkel to reg and back, swimming with the snorkel in our mouth. Once we completed all of the snorkel stuff we tossed our snorkels to the side we worked on sitting on the bottom of the shallow end of the pool with our masks off and breathing through our regs for a minute then putting our masks back on and clearing it. I felt very comfortable while breathing with my mask off except when I would open my eyes. For some reason I would always slightly hold my breath for a second when I would feel the bubble hit my eyes while they were open. I tried to lean a little forward to keep the bubble from hitting my eyes, but that didn't help. I ended up keeping my eyes closed so I would pause slightly while breathing. Mike suggested after the class to open my eyes while inhaling and closing my eyes on the exhale, which seemed to work for him.

We went back to the deep end where our instructor shut off our air and had us signal to our buddy OOA and breath from the octo. Apparently my octo needed some tuning because while showing what we were going to work on to the class he noticed that it was a little tough to breath and signaled to me underwater that it was having issues. I made sure my brother knew about its issue before he had to breath from it. While the instructor shut my air off it was neat to see my air disappear on the gauge as I took breaths and how much harder it was to breath as the air got less and less. We also did a simulated alternate air ascent with us shairig air and swimming on an angle to the surface.

We then did the tired diver tow. I was giving my brother crap about having it easy because I am physically smaller than him and how much easier he had it than I did, but when it was my turn to tow him It was nothing. I also tried to see how fast I could go pushing him in my bio fins. We ended up moving very quickly to where we needed to go in a metter of seconds. I am not sure if I like the "fins on the shoulders" tow. I really don't having my forward view obscured by my brother's crotch. :smiley11:

We did the fin pivot and it took me a bit to get enough air in my BCD to get neutral using the inflater. We also did the fin pivot using the orl inflator then once we were neutral we were able to swim for a bit. It was interesteing to see how gross the pool was after a day of kids in it. There were goggles on the bottom, a band aid (didn't touch it this time) lol and pieces of toilet paper (WTF?). It kinda grossed us out, but I guess lakes and oceans are just as bad.

The best part of the night was breathing from a freeflowing reg. It made my teeth freeze, but it brought back memoires of breathing from the air bubbles that come out of the seats in some hot tubs. I used to do that every chance I got when I was little. For some reason I thought it would be harder to keep from breathing in water, but there is no way way water can enter your mouth with so much air going flowing through it. I believe the freeflow ate up about 500 PSI of air in 30 seconds. Now I can see how serious it is when it happens at depth.

We ended up completing all skills for dives 2 and 3 that night. Tomorrow is our last pool dive and we have our first OW session on Saturday at The Crater. Unfortunaely we are also expecting a major snow storm and so Mike and I my have to spend the night in a hotal close to the crater since it is located up in the mountains.

1/3/08 - PADI OW Course DAY 3

Last night was my last day in class and my final pool session. We watched section 5 of the video and completed quiz 4 and 5. We were given some RDP problems to work out before the final. The girls in the calls had a really hard time understand how to use the table. I kept blurting out the answers to the problems he was giving us and Mike hit me and told me to STFU and make the girls answer the questions. I ended up taking them quite a while to understand the concept of the RDP and how to use it. The instructor tried to trick us by having one of the sample problems go beyond the recommended diving limits, but we caught it right away.

After the RDP questions we began our final at about 8:05pm. Mike and I finished the 50 question final test in about 30 minutes. There are some poorly written questions on the test and hopefully PADI will re-write them to be clearer, but Mike and I aced the test regardless. One of the problems that is written poorly is "In an OOA situation what is the best procedure to use to make and emergency ascent?" A. Alternate Air, B. Buddy Breathing, C. Buoyant Ascent, D. None of the above. PADI's answer is A, but in reality it's D because the best way in an OOA is a normal ascent, but in this question they want you to select from the emergency ascents provided in that question. That question caused me to pause for a bit, but I got it right anyway.

After were were finished with our test we just hung around the LDS and waited, and waited, and waited for the 2 girls to finish. At about 9:35 they finished and luckily they passed so we wouldn't have to wait anymore to get into the pool.

Once we got to the pool and our gear set up, the father of the 2 girls in our class joined us on this pool session to test out his regs that have been sitting for a time. He had an old SPG that was encased in bright orange plastic and looked more like a club than an SPG. His SPG started leaking air pretty bad after he submerged it, but he used it anyway. Our instructor said it needed and new oring on the bottom.

We started with skin diving skills. We learned about hyperventilation breathing and then did the skin diving descent where you go head first and kick your legs into the air, while your buddy watches. After completing that skill we donned our Scuba gear and swam from one end of the pool to the other without our masks on and breathing through the reg. I thought I had removed all of the air in my BCD brfore we started the skill, but I didn't while swimming I kept going to the surface. I tugged on my shoulder valve a few times but nothing would come out I could find the dump on the back of the bcd either (the handle was missing). I was lucky enough to at least get myself under the floating swim line thingies they put in to make lanes, where Mike kept getting caught on them. At the end of the swim we had to put our masks back on and clear them before we were done. I forgot once I reached the end of the end of the pool that if you have oyur mask around your neck, no matter how hard you lift you will never get your mask above the reg in your still in your mouth. Once I realized I'm a retard and removed the reg the mask was much easier to put back on my face.

After the skill was completed we headded for the bottom of the pool and practiced removing and replacing our BCDs. I had to remember to not breath as deep as I usually do yunderwater once I removed my BCD, but I did anyway and started to rise, but by removing all of that air I was able to secure my bcd back on me. When then practiced buoyancy again and tonight I was able to stay neutral for quite a while by just using breath control. I felt like a pro showing off to the new class that was in the pool on their second dive lol. Towards the end of the dive I ended up having issues with equalizing my left ear and ended my dive. Luckily it was about time to leave anyway.

As my borther and I were swimming back to the shallow end we paused a moment to let a diver from the other class cross in front of us. As we began swimming again we both noticed that we swam through a very warm patch of water that was directly behind the guy who had just gone in front of us. I felt nice, but we then realized that he probably peed in the pool and we just swam through it.

All in all the we have had fun in the class and can't wait until tomorrow for our first OW dive in the Crater.

1/11/08 - PADI OW Course DAY 4

Sorry for the delay in posts. Our OW checkout dive was cancelled because of a major storm that hit Utah. THe LDS cancelled the dive for fear of people not making it up the canyon to the Crater. We had to wait until our next scheduled time to get up there.

Well, last Friday was our first foray into OW... (Well not really, since the Crater is a giant natural swimming pool, no current, waves, fish etc..) It was snowing like crazy in Utah Valley and were were worried they were going to cancel the dive once again. Our dive wasn't until 4:00pm and so to make sure we could make it up the canyon we left at around 2:45pm knowing that the drive up might be really slow because of possible bad conditions. Mapquest told us it would take 38 minutes reach the Crater from where we were at, but the sun was out and construction had finished on the road widening project they were doing. It only took us about 20 mintues to drive up there and that was drving under the limit even with the wonderful dry driving conditions we had.

Once Mike and I arrived we hung out in the activity center until 4pm. When our instructor arrived we were lucky to find out that the 2 girls that are in our class could not make it becuase of drivers ed. Our instructor was kind enough to bring us hid personal gear to use. I was the only one out of my brother and I to use it since it would be the maiden voyage in his new gear. He is using a Dive Rite SS BP and Oxycheq Mach V wing with Hog harness. He also has Poseidon Jetstream/ Odin regs and an Aeris Atmos AI computer. I had an XS Scuba reg and octo (not sure which model) and Tusa gauges. My BCD was a Cressi-Sub. I couldn't find the model though. He also brought us HP80 steel tanks to use.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the Crater let me explain it a little to you.. The Crater is a 65' deep naturally heated spring that is within a natural dome. There is a hole in the top of the dome and Pioneers used to dump their garbage into a hundred years ago.. You can actually see some planks and what not on the bottom, though you are not allowed to go near there because of silting. A hole has been brilled for access to the 93 degree waters that ly within for swimmers, snorkelers and divers to enjoy the warm waters. Aside from the bottom there are only a few things to do and look at in the Crater. They have a ring for you to swim through at 45', a platform at 15' and a wagon wheel at 35'. I have heard there are some plastic creatures in there, but I didn't see them. Visibility was 40'+ while were were there and ther are light placed in the sides to help with visibility.

Mike and I donned our gear, did our BWRAF checkout and prepared for a 5 point descent using a line. We descended to the platform at 15' where we did mask replace and removal, alternate air shares and fin pivots to check our buoyancy. Mike was getting used to his gear and he realized he was terribly overweighted with the SS plate. It took him a bit to get neutral, but he had to use way more air in his wing than he was used to in his bcd becuase of the added weight of the plate and steel tank. He was also having freeflow issues with his Poseidon regs mostly because he had the switch to + instead of -. We spent about 13 minutes down at 40' and then began our 5 point ascent. After the first dive we worked on the tired diver tow and then did a free descent and made another buoyancy check at 35'. It was getting much darker in the crater so my instructor produced his dive light and used it while Mike and I swam throught the ring and floated around. Mikes computer started beeping when his air got to 1000 psi when we decided to begin our ascent. We made a safety stop at 15' on the platform and did an OOA alternate air share ascent to the surface with my brother breathing from my octo. I had about 1200 psi left for another dive, but Mike was around 800 because of the free flow issues with his regs. So that was our last dive for the day.

Our next dive is scheduled for Feb 1. I begin AOW on Jan 21, so our next trip to the crater will finish up our OW cert and we ill also make an AOW dive while we are there. I guess we can either do an altitude, night or nav dive there. We plan on borrowing my father-in-laws dive lights so we can explore the bottom a little closer (without getting too close to cause silting) .

BuzzF117
12-27-2007, 17:01
12/26/2007 - PADI OW Course DAY 1

Last night was my first night in OW class. There was only 4 people in our class including my brother .

Would that be your brother Joe who drives the A Team Van? Hopefully your secret public journal is in reference to Mike Bribiglia...

Thisshouldbeme
12-27-2007, 17:40
I wish he had a A-team van, I got stuck in his stupid Toyota Sienna. I also wish I had the comedic genius that Birbig's has, but I only share his name.

I think he left out one of the best parts of the story though.... As we were diving I noticed him in the deep end picking up an object that I had just swam over. When I had surfaced and talked to him later about it he said that he thought it was a shell of some sort. Remember, we are in a public pool. Upon realizing what he picked up was a used band-aid he quickly discarded it and signaled to me not to pick it up. I was chuckling at this point, because I had already seen it when I passed above it.

I think that should have been a greater lesson, due to the fact that he wasn't wearing gloves and we had just watched the movie stating not to pick up unknown objects. Classic.

Daved
12-27-2007, 17:58
I thought that I should be the first to start on the psychical demands of diving. I too have a desk job. I resort dive for 2-3 weeks once a year. About three months out I start reading the Diver Dan and Scuba tragedies stories. It seems that the majority of incidents happen to people in my age group that are "just a little bit" out of shape. After reading the articles I start working out--less beer, walking after dinner, taking the stairs--that type of thing. I find it goes along way and while the only six pack I have is a type of beer--it truly does improve my diving by being in better shape.
Sorry for hi-jacking your thread. Looking forward to the next installment.
Dave

cummings66
01-02-2008, 21:13
New Years eve has come and gone, I'm still here waiting for my story, lets get on with it...

mitsuguy
01-02-2008, 23:52
I have a question regarding the swimming and 10 minute float...

Is it required for OW?

I can do it no problem, in fact, I can do the Divemaster requirements no problem, but for my OW, it was not even mentioned that there were any swimming or floating requirements...

Clanggedin
01-03-2008, 16:05
updated original post with day 2

I tried to checnge the title, but I guess it's not the one that everyone sees.

Kokomo
01-03-2008, 20:32
I've really enjoyed reading your experiences. Can't wait to hear the rest!

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 20:57

Is it required for OW?

I can do it no problem, in fact, I can do the Divemaster requirements no problem, but for my OW, it was not even mentioned that there were any swimming or floating requirements...

Yes, there is definitely a swim test, but I don't think it's timed in any way. The OP probably could have gone a LOT slower and not been winded when time for the float test. I can't recall about a requirement for a 10 minute float. I think there is a float test, but I don't know that it's actually 10 minutes.

This assumes we're talking about PADI rules, as I'm not as familiar with other agencies' various requirements. The steps outlined sounds fairly standard PADI SOP, however.

Clanggedin
01-04-2008, 12:37
According to the PADI Instructor paperwork that I saw yesterday it says you have to do either a 200m swim or 300m mask snorkel, fin swim and a 10 minute tread.

I was stupid and blasted out of the gate at first on the 200m swim and totally wiped myself too fast. I tried to recover closer to the end by slowing down and laying on my back and swimming, but it was too late.

BTW.. First post updated again with Day 3

mitsuguy
01-04-2008, 12:44

Is it required for OW?

Yes, there is definitely a swim test, but I don't think it's timed in any way. The OP probably could have gone a LOT slower and not been winded when time for the float test. I can't recall about a requirement for a 10 minute float. I think there is a float test, but I don't know that it's actually 10 minutes.

This assumes we're talking about PADI rules, as I'm not as familiar with other agencies' various requirements. The steps outlined sounds fairly standard PADI SOP, however.

well, we definitely swam quite a bit, maybe he didn't actually tell me it was a swim test, and just made sure we swam the required amount....

CompuDude
01-04-2008, 18:24
After the RDP questions we began our final at about 8:05pm. Mike and I finished the 50 question final test in about 30 minutes. There are some poorly written questions on the test and hopefully PADI will re-write them to be clearer, but Mike and I aced the test regardless. One of the problems that is written poorly is "In an OOA situation what is the best procedure to use to make and emergency ascent?" A. Alternate Air, B. Buddy Breathing, C. Buoyant Ascent, D. None of the above. PADI's answer is A, but in reality it's D because the best way in an OOA is a normal ascent, but in this question they want you to select from the emergency ascents provided in that question. That question caused me to pause for a bit, but I got it right anyway.

So explain this to me. In an OOA situation, how is a "normal ascent" possible without moving to some form of alternate air supply?

Situation: You are in 45' of water when your buddy goes completely OOA, since he was a dork and didn't pay attention to how fast he was sucking down his tank. What do you do next?

If your response to that question is to offer your octo, you just answered "A" to the test question. I don't see how another option is available, and any hope of a truly "normal ascent" is pretty much shot from the moment someone goes OOA.

A normal ascent is always preferred, of course, but the situation described is an OOA situation. In that situation, the best answer is indeed to change to an alternate air supply, assuming one is available.

Clanggedin
01-04-2008, 19:42

So explain this to me. In an OOA situation, how is a "normal ascent" possible without moving to some form of alternate air supply?

Situation: You are in 45' of water when your buddy goes completely OOA, since he was a dork and didn't pay attention to how fast he was sucking down his tank. What do you do next?

If your response to that question is to offer your octo, you just answered "A" to the test question. I don't see how another option is available, and any hope of a truly "normal ascent" is pretty much shot from the moment someone goes OOA.

A normal ascent is always preferred, of course, but the situation described is an OOA situation. In that situation, the best answer is indeed to change to an alternate air supply, assuming one is available.

You are right. I gues I got stuck on "the best solution for an emergency ascent" and forgot about the OOA part.

CompuDude
01-04-2008, 19:49
You are right. I gues I got stuck on "the best solution for an emergency ascent" and forgot about the OOA part.

No worries, you understood the concept and that's what's important.

Every test has poorly worded questions. I'm still miffed at one of the terrible (and I contend, actually incorrect) questions from my Dive Master exam.

The good news is the grade is irrelevant... the important thing is knowing the correct answer/concept, even if you marked it wrong on a test back on dry land. No one checks your GPA in scuba. :smiley36:

RoadRacer1978
01-04-2008, 19:54
You should take some rules exams for the railroad. I have to take a rules exam every two years and an 85% is passing. If you fail you have to retake it and the minimum score becomes a 90% to pass on the second try. The problem is that throughout the year the rules are changed. The test is written at the beginning of the year and they do not update it throughout the year as the rules change. So you have to learn the new rules to keep from getting in trouble at work, then when you take the test you have to remember what the rule said at the beginning of the year. It is quite frusterating.

cummings66
01-05-2008, 09:04
I recall some tests like that in electronics, the manufacturer gave you the test based on current technology, but it'd been a couple years and what is out now completely changed how it's done. You had to know the old way in order to pass the test, a new guy had problems where the old guy could pass it.

Clanggedin
01-15-2008, 11:55
upadated post with dive day 4

dogseatmayo
08-05-2008, 17:33
nice idea, to make a journal of your certification.
i really enjoyed reading it though.
thanks for the 10 minutes of peace...

Jenn
08-05-2008, 18:21
Great journal I like you have been keeping a journal and posting them for us to read. I enjoyed reading about your experiences with ow class. Good luck with everything I look forward to reading more. keep us updated.

Clanggedin
08-06-2008, 15:07
Thanks for all of the interest in my journal.. Since my OW cert in January I have gone on to complete AOW and begin Rescue in Sept.

My Venturing crew also has been OW certified, with one of the scouts completing AOW and will begin rescue with me in Sept. He is trying really hard to make himslef eligible for the Divemaster class at Florida Seabase in December.

I will be creating another journal documenting my Rescue Diver class once I start.