PDA

View Full Version : Underwater towns in TN

Aric
12-27-2007, 15:12
I was wondering if anyone has dived any underwater towns in TN? Ive been researching and have found several that were flooded when various dams were built. Just wondering if anyone has dove any of these.

snagel
12-28-2007, 05:49
What have you found?

S. Nagel

finflippers
12-30-2007, 19:57
I believe that the structures was torn down prior to the flooding on most of the lakes. Some of the maps will show where buildings was but they are not there anymore. I have been told that there is a lake in Kentucky that still has buildings in it.

I do know where a bridge is that is intact and flooded in Chilhowee Lake. There is a Cabin Cruiser in Cherokee Lake (which I might be diving on Thursday).

Aric
12-30-2007, 21:19
I do know where a bridge is that is intact and flooded in Chilhowee Lake. There is a Cabin Cruiser in Cherokee Lake (which I might be diving on Thursday).

I was told by my instructor that there is alot of underwater hazards in Cherokee lake? How the diving there? Whats the water temps like this time of year on Chilhowee and Cherokee lake?

finflippers
12-30-2007, 21:30
I have not been diving them in a few months but I would guess Cherokee to be in the 50's around this time. I will know after Thursday LOL. You can run into hazards in these lakes around here. The area I will be diving is off of is the earth part of the dam and there are three boats and a monument for a diver down there.

Chilhowee is COLD even in the summer. I do not know if it gets colder in the winter or not but I dive it in a 5mm in the summer when I am diving other lakes around here in skins.

sgarland
02-21-2008, 11:54
I haven't dove any in TN, but come north a little into KY and you can find several when Lake Cumberland was built. The largest that was covered was Burnside (about an hour from the KY/TN line). Of course with the drought and the dam leaking this summer, you could walk on the old town.

A good tool is the old USGS maps, you can download for free from
Kentucky Division of Geographic Information :: DGI :: KYMARTIAN (http://kymartian.ky.gov/)

be warned the lake ranges to 450 feet deep and is cold, muddy, with heavy boat traffic in the summer. If you use a marker up top the boaters don't realize what it is. Its best to have someone top side watching out for you.

MicahEW
02-21-2008, 12:10
normandy lake in shelbyville TN is a good one the water is really down but there are tons of structures. there are even underwater springs those are pretty cool.

texdiveguy
02-21-2008, 12:18
I haven't dove any in TN, but come north a little into KY and you can find several when Lake Cumberland was built. The largest that was covered was Burnside (about an hour from the KY/TN line). Of course with the drought and the dam leaking this summer, you could walk on the old town.

A good tool is the old USGS maps, you can download for free from
Kentucky Division of Geographic Information :: DGI :: KYMARTIAN (http://kymartian.ky.gov/)

be warned the lake ranges to 450 feet deep and is cold, muddy, with heavy boat traffic in the summer. If you use a marker up top the boaters don't realize what it is. Its best to have someone top side watching out for you.

Lake Cumberland/Ky....I was thinking its deepest point was around 200ffw....(?)

mike_s
02-21-2008, 12:19
Dale Hollow Lake I think still has some underwater structures.

sgarland
02-21-2008, 12:51
your right - Lake Cumberland is a deep water lake, approximately 200 feet deep near the dam, with an average depth of 90 feet at summer pool. Normal summer pool elevation is 723 feet above sea level with 50,250 surface acres and 1085 miles of shoreline. The Army Corps of Engineers reduces the lake level in winter to prevent flooding in the spring. Winter pool elevation ranges from 690 to 673 feet above sea level. Even at the minimum winter level, Lake Cumberland boasts 35,820 surface acres.

But I will say my depth finder goes to 200' and blinks off in several places in this lake. I was quoting a web page I had read from memory- sorry for the confusion

texdiveguy
02-21-2008, 13:01
your right - Lake Cumberland is a deep water lake, approximately 200 feet deep near the dam, with an average depth of 90 feet at summer pool. Normal summer pool elevation is 723 feet above sea level with 50,250 surface acres and 1085 miles of shoreline. The Army Corps of Engineers reduces the lake level in winter to prevent flooding in the spring. Winter pool elevation ranges from 690 to 673 feet above sea level. Even at the minimum winter level, Lake Cumberland boasts 35,820 surface acres.

But I will say my depth finder goes to 200' and blinks off in several places in this lake. I was quoting a web page I had read from memory- sorry for the confusion

No problem....regardless it is deep!

Safe and fun diving to you!!

pyre24
02-21-2008, 19:04
That would be cool to dive in an underwater town. Cant wait for internet to get back up so I can look for some.

terrillja
02-21-2008, 19:07
Well we have a big reservoir in MA (quabbin) where they just demolished entire towns. Can't dive it it though, since it's drinking water..

Quabbin Reservoir (http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/quabbin.htm)

DZorn00
03-04-2008, 11:58
Now if you could only open a Hooters down there! Who would care if the water was cold!?:smilie39:

mike_s
03-04-2008, 15:55
Marthas Quarry in TN almost qualifies... It's still got the old building in it sunk underwater.

sgarland
03-08-2008, 12:16
Drove down to Burnside Ky last weekend, lake is down 43' right now due to TVA lowering it for winter, dam repair etc.

You can see the old US 27 down in the lake bottom right now and an old stone railroad tunnel that is normally about 25 underwater.

Might be worth a drive up from TN for you to check out.

Jamesmb
03-15-2008, 21:49
Hi,

I have dove some in Norris, Cherokee, Chilhowee lakes. Been told that the town of Loyston was flooded when Norris Lake was formed. Think the town of Butler was flooded when Watagua lake was flooded. Think alot of structure were demolished prior to flooding especially where shallower waters might be. Norris Lake is suppose to have two areas called Ghost Forests. Never dove them but think they are in the 100' range. From a map of Cherokee several miles above the dam, looks to be a bridge or what is left of it crossing the river channel which might be interesting to dive. If you had a boat and GPS and depth graph you could probably park your boat right over many spots and check them out. Im sure there is stuff there that has not been dove.

In TN NC I think Fontana is deepest at about 400' or so. Lake Jocassee upstate SC is maybe 360'? Those are the deepest I know of. Norris Lake is 220' by the dam, know a diver who has been to that depth. Cherokee Lake when water is up is as deep 150'.