PDA

View Full Version : Need a Bag for Upcoming Trip

pav
12-28-2007, 03:09
I'm going to the Philippines for 2 1/2 weeks and plan on doing as much diving as I can while I'm there. I can check two bags between the US and Philippines, 50lbs each. That part isn't really a big deal.

The potential problem is one domestic flight I will have within the Philippines where I am limited to 44lbs of total luggage and a 7lb carry-on. This is only for a 5 day trip, and I won't be taking all of my clothes with me, but will be taking all of my dive gear.

I am only bringing 1 set of dive gear and plan on taking my reg and computer as carry-on.

Any suggestions on a good bag to get for this trip? Can the 44lb requirement be met or am I going to be stuck with excess baggage fees?

redneckdiver52
12-28-2007, 05:36
If you don't take any weight and stick to the bare minimum on clothing etc. Then you might be pushing the limit but you should be inside it. Put all the gear you know you will need in your desired bag and put it on your bathroom scale. Not an exact method but it should give you a better idea.

LI Diver
12-28-2007, 05:37
Akona roller bag it's great

redneckdiver52
12-28-2007, 05:45
Oh, I misread your question. I live life in the budget world so when I want to do something I look at a bag like the Akona and check all the specifics then I search for some cheaper alternative that best meets the specs. I have always been told to put my mask, computer, and reg in my carry on and put the rest in my check in luggage. This makes shopping for luggage a little easier because you don't have to worry as much about the structure/design of it.

pav
12-28-2007, 07:20
I don't live life in the budget world, I'm just plain cheap. I avoid spending unnecessarily whenever possible, but I have had a lot of cheap luggage break apart during travels in the past, so I'm beginning to acquire luggage that isn't as cheap with the hopes it will endure airline baggage handling.

Also I am not taking weights or a tank.

SHAGGY
12-28-2007, 08:12
I'm going to the Philippines for 2 1/2 weeks and plan on doing as much diving as I can while I'm there. I can check two bags between the US and Philippines, 50lbs each. That part isn't really a big deal.

The potential problem is one domestic flight I will have within the Philippines where I am limited to 44lbs of total luggage and a 7lb carry-on. This is only for a 5 day trip, and I won't be taking all of my clothes with me, but will be taking all of my dive gear.

I am only bringing 1 set of dive gear and plan on taking my reg and computer as carry-on.

Any suggestions on a good bag to get for this trip? Can the 44lb requirement be met or am I going to be stuck with excess baggage fees?

I had the Akona AKB-144 bag on my trip last month to Cozumel and my flight weight was around 48lbs and that was with 2 masks, 2 sets of fins, and a 3/2mm wetsuit and a 5mmwetsuit plus my BCD with "NO" weights. That Cozumel trip was the first time I used the Akona bag and the plate that holds the carry pull handle broke loose on my first day in Cozumel. So when I got back I stopped by ST and they were out of that bag but they replaced it with the XS Scuba wheeled bag which is pretty much the same bag except the XS Scuba bag appears to be better quality since there are all stainless screws and blindnuts holding on the back plate in that bag as opposed to pop rivits thats on the Akona bag. My opinion on personal experience is that you will be fine on weight if you dont take any extra stuff as I did. I would say that the XS Scuba wheeled bag is the best bag that ST carries. It has the same amount of room as the Akona AKB-144 and pretty much the same exact features except it appears that it will be much more durable since it has the stainless screws and blindnuts instead of the poprivits.

azdiver
01-03-2008, 09:38
I usually pack my clothes, bc, fins, boots, books, and other items in a 28" suitcase that I bought at Mervyn's with room to spare and have it weigh in at around 48lbs. I take my regulator, spare mask, bathing suit, change of clothes and camera gear in my carryon. The main reason I use the luggage from Mervyn's is that it weighs in at 7 lbs and no one thinks that dive gear is in it due to the way it looks. So far it's been to Fiji once and the Caribbean 2 times and still looks great. Best of all, I only paid $50 for it on sale!!

Bigg_Budd
01-03-2008, 10:27
One man's opinion, but...

Whatever you end up buying, don't bring a huge wheeled gear bag on the boat. It takes up too much room and pisses off everyone around you. Get a mesh duffle dive bag.

Goober
01-03-2008, 11:19
Pinnacle's Pacific is a excellent choice. Simple duffle with a zip off padded reg bag. Plenty of room, good and strong and cost is right on time...what else does a growing boy need?

pav
01-10-2008, 04:08
Thanks for the advice on the bag for the boat. I have an XS Scuba Deluxe Mesh Bag that I'll stuff in one of my suitcases before I head to the PI.

I'm leaning towards the Tusa BP-2 to transport my scuba stuff in on the plane. Any thoughts on that one?

Puffer Fish
01-10-2008, 04:40
Thanks for the advice on the bag for the boat. I have an XS Scuba Deluxe Mesh Bag that I'll stuff in one of my suitcases before I head to the PI.

I'm leaning towards the Tusa BP-2 to transport my scuba stuff in on the plane. Any thoughts on that one?

While I have a scuba travel bag,on long trips I currently use a North Face rolling duffle, the type that fold in half. At some point bag weight becomes important, an several people make durable, light weight ones that can save you more than 5 lbs and still hold your gear. 5 lbs is a lot of clothes.

b1draper
02-07-2008, 08:58
When I was on a cruise last month I bought a nice dive bag from DeepSEE (Aqualung) from the cruise ships dive shop. I can fit a set of Cressi fins, Dacor RAV bc, booties, regs in Akona Deluxe case, a dive skin and a shorty wetsuit, plus all the other accessories (snorkle, defoger, mask, spare mask, save a dive kit, etc). It's also small enough to fit under the bench on a dive boat.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-26/018463/Deep-See-Excursion-Roller-Backpack.html

wopsushi
02-07-2008, 10:30
HERE IS ONE THAT IS ON WHEELS AND MEETS THE AIRLINE REGS, I HAVE ONE AS WELL. AND CHEAP! $75.00 MADE BY TUSA VERY ROOMY AND ON WHEELS

GOOD LUCK AND SAFE DIVING

http://www.allthingsscuba.com/TUSA/Bags/Roller_Duffel_Bag.html

DevilDiver
02-07-2008, 10:56

Tusa BP 2
Purchased this bag before my last trip. Great Bag!!:smiley20:

This is my 5th dive bag and I have purchased, different manufactures each time. With weight and size restrictions it is always difficult to carry what you need and still meet requirements.

The Tusa BP 2 is the best luggage solution I have purchased yet. It holds allot More than it looks like it should and is constructed very well. I had plenty of room for gear and clothes for a 8 day trip and total weight after packed ran 47 lbs.

No complaints.........

abcitydiver
02-08-2008, 01:43
just finished packing a brand new Tusa bag, zipper split on the fin pocket right out of the gate. NOT IMPRESSED.
On the other had, the new akona bag is stuffed to the gills and those zippers look like they will live to fight many more battles.

Best of luck, safe travels, and have a wonderful trip!

RoyN
02-08-2008, 02:01
I'm probably going to use my XS scuba rolling bag, then again, I cut the strap clips in there and don't know why....:smiley5: