PDA

View Full Version : How do I Sling a Pony.

Duckydiver
12-28-2007, 20:41
Stupid question, I know. But I am a little confused as to where you attach the clips of the sling for a pony. It seems apparent that that the top clip by the valve goes on he left shoulder d ring, but what about the bottom clip with the longer strap. It seems that if you clip it to the lowest d ring on a bC the tank would hang to low when horizontal.

So which clips go to which d ring on the BC. I use a Sea quest pro if that help

Thanks for any help

CompuDude
12-28-2007, 20:47
Not all BCs are set up to sling a pony. Slinging works perfectly with all bp/w's, however. I'm not familiar enough with the d-ring arrangement on your particular BC to see if it has appropriately placed rings for slinging.

Here's how it looks with a bp/w and full size Al.40 deco bottle:

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/rhea-cayman_stage219.jpg

MSilvia
12-28-2007, 21:16
It should clip to the right hip D-ring, assuming you have the top clipped to the right shoulder D-ring. Of course, that's assuming a harness that's suited to doing so, and not all are. I use the aforementioned backplate/wing system.

I've never used that BC, so I'm going to make some guesses based on the Seaquest Pro QD and XLT pictures I found with a quick Google image search. It looks your BC has a stainless steel D-ring below the pocket on each side. You ought to be able to make it work, but the ring is looks like a 1" ring and ideally you want one twice that size so you can find it easily. That ring is positioned a bit differently than mine, and my stage rigged bottles (which I rigged myself using the directions at DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging (http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html)) all hang just the way I like them. That makes me suspect my bottles might hang differently on you, but that doesn't necessarily mean that yours can't be adjusted for your BC.

It should work, but I can't really say how well. It could be great, it could be not so great. If it seems like it hangs too low, it might be because your D-ring isn't where you want it.

Daved
12-28-2007, 21:26
1) Is this used for a redundant air supply--or other?
2) What size bottle?
3) 13cf or smaller do work well "pony-ed" on the back of main tank.

I use the sea Quest passport for traveling--typically for redundancy I would use something attached to main tank

Duckydiver
12-30-2007, 20:30
Thanks for the info guys.

To be more specific, I was looking to get a 30 cf. That size seemed to be the best size for me. Perhaps I should consider a smaller tank to mount to my main.

terrillja
01-09-2008, 00:47
Thanks for the info guys.

To be more specific, I was looking to get a 30 cf. That size seemed to be the best size for me. Perhaps I should consider a smaller tank to mount to my main.
I have a 30CF that I have attached to my main tank using the zeagle pony mounts, very stable, doesn't move at all.