PDA

View Full Version : Bonne Terre Mine Rescue Course

schu1842
12-28-2007, 21:21
I've been thinking about taking the rescue course this winter and I also wanted to get a weekend dive trip in before spring. I just read that a weekend rescue course is available at Bonne Terre Mine. Has anyone been through the course at Bonne Terre? It sounds like it would be a great weekend.

cummings66
12-28-2007, 21:27
It depends on cost, they tend to be rather pricey. If you want to dive and in some water that's not got ice in it consider Bennett Springs. You do need reservations however.

Personally I'd suggest doing rescue close to home and save the mine for a trip if you really want to go there. Why combine fun with work?

maverick
01-09-2008, 12:21
Where's Bennett Springs?

kancho
01-09-2008, 12:45
Rescue is a good course but I wouldn't want to do it on a trip/vacation. If it is a specialty or advanced yeah sure but Rescue, I wouldn't. If I did my rescue on a trip I wouldn't of enjoyed the trip or not that much anyway.

terrillja
01-09-2008, 12:54
I did my rescue in St. Thomas USVI, and I loved it. I had superb instructors and part of my rescue course was following a group and watching for subtle signs that something was wrong. I got to do my rescue checkouts while diving in beautiful, warm water.

MLenyo
01-09-2008, 14:13
i'll be taking my rescue course in... maybe lake michigan? ah well..

DivingCRNA
01-09-2008, 14:26
I would not do Rescue in Bonne Terre for 2 reasons-the first is why I have not been there-THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!

Second is that you spend A LOT of time in the water for Rescue Diver. Bonne Terre is supposed to be cold. Also, I do not know where there are any shallows there. You need to drag victims/patients up onto the shore.

snagel
01-11-2008, 19:12
I haven't took rescue, yet. But, what I have heard is that you actually don't do a lot of diving. It's more drills and not a lot of diving. If this is the case, why would you want to take the course where you have to spend money to dive.

Again, I haven't taken the course, so I may be talking out of turn here.

S. Nagel

beperkins
10-14-2008, 14:02
Divers are the worlds worst for swallowing a camel and gagging on a knat. We all are perfectly willing to pay $600 for that new reg that probably is not any better than a cheapo reg, $2500 for a dry suit that we will probably want another color in a couple of years; but choke on spending $65 for a dive in 50 ft viz.
Honestly $65 a dive a half a dozen times a year is the least of my wife's fears about the cost of scuba.

Defman
10-14-2008, 14:29
Bonne Terre is supposed to be cold. Also, I do not know where there are any shallows there. You need to drag victims/patients up onto the shore.

Depends on your definition of "cold" I guess, but to this Texas boy 59 degrees was cold... I don't recall any shallow areas either, you'd be dragging them onto the dock I'm sure.

fire diver
10-14-2008, 16:47
Divers are the worlds worst for swallowing a camel and gagging on a knat. We all are perfectly willing to pay $600 for that new reg that probably is not any better than a cheapo reg, $2500 for a dry suit that we will probably want another color in a couple of years; but choke on spending $65 for a dive in 50 ft viz.
Honestly $65 a dive a half a dozen times a year is the least of my wife's fears about the cost of scuba.

I like that camel / knat phrase. I'll have to remember that one.

As for me, I save my pennies for the $600 reg because I know it's better than others, and I don't care what color my drysuit is as long as it's mostly dry. After THOSE expenses I can't afford things like Bonne Terre if there not other reasons to go there. Personaly, I can't stomach hand-hold dives anyway.

georoc01
10-14-2008, 16:50
If I was going to do a course at Bonne Terre, I would probably do the cavern class, but I have decided I would rather do it in the Cenotes in the Yucatan.

My dive shop does rescue in the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM in the Fall/Spring and would probably be a better location than Bonne Terre.

in_cavediver
10-14-2008, 17:49

I don't see the value in the cost for the dive myself. If they'd just let me dive where I wanted and how I wanted - I'd pay the fee. (and I'd eek out every last bit of bottom time for the money as well). They don't so I won't. I don't need their handholding. There is another mine I can dive in Missouri for $10 or $15 for the day. (its a cave not OW though)