PDA

View Full Version : Hair Question

GruPoo
12-28-2007, 21:38
Laddies a moment of your time.

My wife has shoulder length hair and finds it in the way while diving. She also dislikes the idea of having any constrictions around her neck. What type of products (caps, hoods, etc) work best for you?

Diver Kat
12-28-2007, 22:44
I also can't stand wearing a hood due to the neck constriction, and the caps are pretty geeking and not too comfortable either, so I have a number of Dee-Rags that I use to keep my hair out of my face. Here's a link to Dee's website ...

Welcome to the home of Dee Rags! (http://www.dee-rags.com/)

chrissysb
12-29-2007, 16:11
I have shoulder length hair with angles around my face. My hair USED to drive me crazy when diving and the thought of a hood in tropical water killed me. Now, I use head bands with rubber on the bottom to hold the short hair back then I have the rest of my hair either french braided, in a low pony tail, or a combination where I have mini pony tails down my head like a french braid. (Hard to explain - I'll try to get pics)

Here is a link to the hand bands:

Collections - StayPut (http://www.goody.com/Products/Collections/StayPut/StayPut.aspx)

You can find them or something like them in Walmart, Target, or anything like it.

gentry1375
12-30-2007, 21:51
Great question. It's kinda ironic, my boyfriend and I were just discussing this topic a dinner. I have hair half way down my back with bangs that layer around my face. I asked my boyfriend if I should braid my hair in pig tails and wear a dew rag. Of course he didn't know what I was talking about.

I checked out the Dee Rags website that was posted. However, what makes them worth paying $15 each for instead of just wearing a bandana? Are they that much better?

navyhmc
12-30-2007, 22:04
I haven't had that problem since I was 17 and long hair was in vogue.

Back then, I just used a bandanna.

cutter77
12-31-2007, 19:45
I haven't had that problem since I was 17 and long hair was in vogue.

Back then, I just used a bandanna.

I usually get a haircut just before a trip, short enough it won't float into my eyes. I also get a professional pedicure just before a trip....when the polish is completely worn off and may hair is to my shoulders ---- it's time for another trip!

CompuDude
12-31-2007, 20:26
I have nothing useful to contribute to this discussion.

:icon_razz:

(but french braids seem like a pretty good solution)

ixrayu
01-01-2008, 14:10
A ponytail at the nape of my neck. But I jsut had my hair cut shorter so am searching for other options for this dive season. I know one girl who sometimes uses a swim cap but I haven't tried it.

Diver Kat
01-01-2008, 15:50
I checked out the Dee Rags website that was posted. However, what makes them worth paying $15 each for instead of just wearing a bandana? Are they that much better? I think they were a slight bit less when I ordered them a few years ago, but they are cut and sewn to specifically fit the shape of a head. So whereas a bandana would have extra fabric sticking out, the Dee Rag has a band sewn along the bottom that ends in ties that tie over the tail that holds all your hair in ... clear as mud - right?:smiley2: I tried to attach some pix to give you an idea of what I'm talking about .....

(And you can get them in some cool marine life fabrics, which bandanas don't come in!)

] http://www.dee-rags.com/images/side_s.jpg

Foo2
01-01-2008, 16:41
This is like what I wear. <B>rachel weissman</b><Br>striped doo rag - red/blue<br><font color=#CC0000><strong>FINAL SALE</strong></font> (http://www.lauriesolet.com/browseproducts/rachel-weissmanstriped-doo-rag---red-blueFINAL-SALE.html) Foo got mine for me from Cozumel last summer. They're in almost all of the gift shops by one of the Carnival ports. This was the only website I could find. I love mine. It keeps my hair out of my face and feels secure the whole time.

*Edit* I just found this site that has them for half the price of that other one. Etsy :: Cappuccino London headband bandana (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8240067)

AquaGirl
01-01-2008, 19:23
Well I just went through this whole issue diving for the first time last week in Cozumel. I have that Posh Spice/Jenny McCarthy hair cut that is above the shoulders, shorter in the back and angled longer in the front (hopefully you've been reading your gossip mags and are picturing this).
Also let me state that as far as my "appearance" goes I am a "girly-girl" - so I still wanted to look good while scuba diving, so no damn swim cap(and water-proof make-up all the way, I still want to look good for underwater photos!!).

All of my hair will not reach into a pony tail due to it's uneven lengths, so here's what I did: (these directions are for men to pass on, so that's why I'm being a little remedial with the explainations - women probably will read this and say "duh!")
For hair shoulder length and up:
-pull the bangs or shorter hair around your face, basically temple area on up, into a little pony tail or clip (clips in my case) to the middle on the top of your head (right about to the spot you make the hand signal on your head for "OK" in the water - following me still?) That is the majority of the hair that will get in your face while swimming. Make sure you secure that section really well and you can be good for the entire day (I'd leave that part in, take the rest down and go out for the night!)

The remaining hair should be long enough to be pulled into a ponytail in the middle of the BACK of the head. It will end up being right in the middle of where your straps from the mask will sit. This will secure the rest of the hair and the straps from the mask actually help keep it in place during the dive and keep my straps in place as well! In between dives on the boat I would pull this part down and dry it out, then throw it back into a pony tail right before we jumped in. Worked perfectly every time.

I used to wear it like this when I played soccer to keep it out of my face and not have to worry about using a head band or bandana while running around sweating on the field. When I had LONG hair - I went with the french braid.
Hope this was helpful - maybe I'll figure out how to download my pics someday and then I can just use visuals from now on!!

dallasdivergirl
01-02-2008, 11:09
I do the multi-rubber band hair-do with those clear little rubber bands that come in a 100 pack. It works every time. I tried to do something like pig tails and someone took my picture. I didn't ever do that again :D

Danica
01-02-2008, 12:04
I've got mid back length THICK hair, I just start at the temple and work two french braids down each side of my head and my braids I put under my hood but they float around outside of my suit, never had a problem with water getting in, it's my 'dive hair' look. It always looks like ass when I get out of the water but who am I trying to impress? I just went diving, that's all I care about!

JMAY
01-02-2008, 15:49
Try a baseball cap and turn it backwards. This should allow for a good mask seal and will hold the hair down. I have thought about trying this with my students after I saw an Instructor Examiner wear his like that. Good for guys with bald heads to keep the sun from burning their head at the surface.

dallasdivergirl
01-02-2008, 15:53
This is like what I wear. <B>rachel weissman</b><Br>striped doo rag - red/blue<br><font color=#CC0000><strong>FINAL SALE</strong></font> (http://www.lauriesolet.com/browseproducts/rachel-weissmanstriped-doo-rag---red-blueFINAL-SALE.html) Foo got mine for me from Cozumel last summer. They're in almost all of the gift shops by one of the Carnival ports. This was the only website I could find. I love mine. It keeps my hair out of my face and feels secure the whole time.

*Edit* I just found this site that has them for half the price of that other one. Etsy :: Cappuccino London headband bandana (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8240067)

I checked those out. She had some really cute ones but I wasn't sure how durable they would be. I would also have to find one with out any white on it which would discolor in no time flat.

is yours a bandana type fabric?

azdiver
01-02-2008, 16:59
I simply put it up into a ponytail at the back... low enough to keep my mask strap in the perfect spot! I use the terryfabric coated rubberbands. Works great... as for my bangs, I just cut them short enough to be above my eyes before i take off for my dive trip

Foo2
01-02-2008, 21:18

I checked those out. She had some really cute ones but I wasn't sure how durable they would be. I would also have to find one with out any white on it which would discolor in no time flat.

is yours a bandana type fabric?

Mine isn't near as cute as some of those on that website. I have no idea how durable they are. Mine is most deffinately 100% cotton. It's kind of a rough feeling fabric. My main concern as far as durability would be the elastic going bad from being wet. But so far, mine has been in water 15-20 times and is still going strong. I used to tie a bandana around my head like a doo rag, that came off too easily so I was really glad to recieve this type of headband. It works great for me. Good luck!

Danica
01-03-2008, 12:41
I wentout and bought a set of those goody stay puts and I LOVE THEM! its on my head right now. The colors are ugly but holy CRAP there's nothing in my face and it hasn't moved, thanks for the suggestion!

scubajane
01-14-2008, 22:03
I wear a beanie. no neck issues, no hair issues. never any fashion statements when diving. It's just good to dive.

Li'l Castaway
01-16-2008, 12:21
I have very long, and very curly hair. (Permed by God.) I usually put my hair in two pig tails (braids). Yep, I look 12 but my hair does not get caught in the tanks and is out of my way. Or I make one pony tail and then take tiny scunchies (from Walmart) and use about six, and space them down the pony tail. I don't know how to french braid my own hair and my husband - let's just say he is braid-challenged. We won't discuss his ability to make a part. Sore subject, best left not discussed. :-)

lifeispunny
01-16-2008, 12:46
I have a little longer than shoulder length and I just do a ponytail not pulled all the way through on the last go around high on my head. The mask strap holds it down well.

But the Do-rag sounds interesting, I would just think that it would float off my head. I'll have to try it.

Foo2
01-16-2008, 13:15
I have a little longer than shoulder length and I just do a ponytail not pulled all the way through on the last go around high on my head. The mask strap holds it down well.

But the Do-rag sounds interesting, I would just think that it would float off my head. I'll have to try it.

A regular do-rag could come off pretty easy. That's why I get the kind with the strap that makes it more like a headband. My dad uses the Dee-rags that someone else mentioned, it works great for him, but he doesn't have a whole lot of hair either. :smiley2:

azdiver
01-16-2008, 17:21
I have very long, and very curly hair. (Permed by God.) I usually put my hair in two pig tails (braids). Yep, I look 12 but my hair does not get caught in the tanks and is out of my way. Or I make one pony tail and then take tiny scunchies (from Walmart) and use about six, and space them down the pony tale. I don't know how to french braid my own hair and my husband - let's just say he is braid-challenged. We won't discuss his ability to make a part. Sore subject, best left not discussed. :-)

My friend has very long hair as well and she uses the tiny scrunchies as well. Then she loops her hair up and under the mask strap. Definitely works in keeping her hair out of the way.

mona
01-20-2008, 12:38
I have long, straight, fine hair. I've been putting mine up in a french braid or just a regular braid. I do find though that I have some stray hair that doesn't stay in the braid and gets in my face. I like the idea of clips or small rubber bands to gather loose hair; I'll definitely try that. I will also try the pony tail held by a number of rubber bands along it's length - that might actually work better than a french braid.
I haven't tried this yet but I bought a neoprene baseball-style cap which, if it stays on my head (I'll wear it backwards as someone else mentioned above), should help. I will be looking for Dee-rag type do-rag. And as a last resort I am packing along a swim cap if the stray hair just won't stay out of my face.
I'll give you an update as to what worked and what didn't upon my return from my dive trip south.

azdiver
01-20-2008, 16:54
Guess I would rather have some of the stray hairs that don't stay in my ponytail fly around than wear something like a cap on my head. Part of the fun is brushing it away every now and then underwater.... not to mention those great hair floating shots. :-))

MysteryGirl
01-20-2008, 23:11
I have really long hair, and so far have never been able to control it underwater. Somehow or other, rubber bands loosen, no matter how many you have, long hairpins slip off - especially if you've wrapped the hair into a french twist. Most of that is because the water permeates between each strand of hair and you'll constantly end up trying to keep it all together. I wear a silicone swim cap at the Y for my daily laps, but have never tried it while diving. Even at the Y, the silicone swim cap works it's way up and I end up looking like a "conehead." All I need is Beldar in the other lane.

Good luck, and if you find a solution, let us know. I've gotten so used to diving with the hair just as it is, and as someone stated in another thread, makes for great photos.

ScubaGir1
01-21-2008, 23:17
My hair goes about two inches past my bra strap....so fairly long LOL.
I put my hair in two braids and also put some conditioner on my hair before diving. The braids help keep my hair in one place (more or less LOL), and the conditioner helps not rip out my hair when I'm putting on or taking off my hood.

WAHMof2
02-01-2008, 17:00
My hubbys hair is longer than mine (about middle of his back), and he wears those damn doo rags (I hate 'em!) all the time with a pony tail. He tried it in the water a few times but they wouldn't stay on. Those little thin neoprene beanies work pretty good for both of us though. You can tuck your hair up under it, and it stays. They velcro under the chin, and are pretty comfy!

MSilvia
02-01-2008, 17:10
...a bandana would have extra fabric sticking out...
I tried to attach some pix to give you an idea of what I'm talking about .....
http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/womens-issues/1156d1199224110-hair-question-bandana.jpg
That guy looks like he doesn't know how to tie a bandana. There's really no need for fabric sticking out.

Here's how I wear mine, and it works even on my gigantic head:
http://thedecostop.com/matt/matt_TDS_avatar1.jpg
Not to slight Dee, but I'd try the $1 solution before deciding on the $15 solution.

Cheddarchick
02-01-2008, 17:19
Matt you need to show us the back of your head....Girls are challenged when it comes to dewrags

ScubaShuggs
02-06-2008, 20:56
I have shoulder length hair. I pull it up in a high pony tail and on the last loop through i dont pull the hair through all the way. I just end up with a loop on my head and my mask strap sits under it. I dont have bangs, but I either use clips or bobby pins to pin one of my gf's bangs back. It works for me but sometimes i get flyaways. Just something to try next time, I too dislike hair in my face or anything on my head while im underwater.

obrules15
03-01-2008, 08:39
I have shoulder length hair and for the last 8 years I have used the speedo LYCRA swim caps. Keeps hair contained better than the scuba stuff but does not pull or tug.

Damselfish
03-01-2008, 09:08
I hate stuff around my neck too, I use a neoprene beanie and that's fine. I don't really need anything where I dive, but it contains the hair and provides some extra warmth. And as a bonus if your hair is permed it seems to make the perm last much longer with less water flushing through. Without the beanie my perm would be wiped out after a week of diving, this helps a lot.

To the person concerned about elastic going bad when it gets wet, not sure why that would happen. Pretty much all bathing suits have elastic and they don't go bad.

DollFin
03-01-2008, 12:00
My hair is about mid-back legnth. So far, just putting it in a braid works well enough, and I just let my bangs go loose. It's gonna get messed up no matter what I do, so I might as well use as little effort as possible. :)

divergirl
03-15-2008, 22:33
lucky for me I have to wear a full hood haha (definately no way to look good when diving in canadian waters) so I just tie my hair in a low ponytail and bobby pin the bang hairs to the side

Eurodiver
04-19-2008, 10:00
I have often wondered what other people use. My hair is THICK and a little past mid back. I can't stand the mask pulling my hair. But found the Hair saver mask strap to cure that. But as for the bang area and the rest ? ?
Got to try something new this year.:smiley13:

I am a hairstylist and one reminder ALWAYS shampoo and DEEP condition after a dive. Paul Mitchell shampoo 3 works great to get all the impurities out of the hair. If I have been diving all weekend or week. before I return home depending on my schedule I will put a deep conditioner in my air before I get on the plane and leave it over night. {in my line of work I can leave a deep conditioner in for up to 2 days.}
A good SPLIT end trim {not just the ends, a common confusion between split ends and "just" the end} once every 4 to 6 months is a good idea keeps those little whisp-y pieces under control. :smiley2:

Happy Diving!
Eurodiver

Zenagirl
04-20-2008, 08:30
I tried a Dee-rag, but it just wouldn't stay on while diving. Haven't a clue what I was doing wrong, but I gave up after about 4 attempts to get it right. So I'm back to a simple ponytail with my bangs twisted on the top of my head and fastened with a clip. Bangs always come out by the end of a couple of dives, but it's simple to grab, twist, and reclip during an SI.

Largo
04-20-2008, 12:14
The next time she goes to the beauty parlour, she could ask for a "High and Tight." No more hair related issues there.

CFDAlden
04-21-2008, 00:07
My wife french braids her own hair, which is just past her shoulders in length. The only issues she has is getting some of the hair from the side of her head caught in the mask strap and/or snorkle retainer.

One of our dive buddies has hair down to her butt, and braids it all into one thick braid, and uses a slap strap on her mask, which she says works well.

CamaroChick
04-21-2008, 07:05
A ponytail at the nape of my neck. But I jsut had my hair cut shorter so am searching for other options for this dive season. I know one girl who sometimes uses a swim cap but I haven't tried it.

I tried the swim cap thing in the pool during a practice session... mainly because I have blonde hair and didn't want the chlorine from the pool turning my hair green. I HATE public pools :smiley11:

It did not work out well for me - I don't know if my head was too small for the thing or what, but water got in there (defeating the purpose of avoiding the shlorine) and it was just a mess trying to put my mask on with that thing!

One thing that is a must for me is a neoprene mask strap cover - that silocone rips my hair right out. I've just been doing the low ponytail or french braid, but my hair has long layers and I get the "float-away" hair.

The do-rag seems like a good idea...

CompuDude
04-21-2008, 12:45

I tried the swim cap thing in the pool during a practice session... mainly because I have blonde hair and didn't want the chlorine from the pool turning my hair green. I HATE public pools :smiley11:

It did not work out well for me - I don't know if my head was too small for the thing or what, but water got in there (defeating the purpose of avoiding the shlorine) and it was just a mess trying to put my mask on with that thing!

One thing that is a must for me is a neoprene mask strap cover - that silocone rips my hair right out. I've just been doing the low ponytail or french braid, but my hair has long layers and I get the "float-away" hair.

The do-rag seems like a good idea...

Swim caps are not intended to keep chlorine from your hair. They're intended to keep your hair out of the drains.

Additionally, swimmers who are racing go faster with them, since they reduce drag. Those tiny helpers add up at elite levels.

But it's mostly a health thing, and keeping the pumping system cleaner. Just like wearing a hair net when working fast food.

Eurodiver
04-22-2008, 13:21
[/quote]
I tried the swim cap thing in the pool during a practice session... mainly because I have blonde hair and didn't want the chlorine from the pool turning my hair green. I HATE public pools :smiley11:[/quote]

If you don't want "green" hair try Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three
PAUL MITCHELL SHAMPOO THREE (Various Sizes) (http://www.lookfantastic.com/hair/paul-mitchell/shampoo/paul-mitchell-shampoo-three-300ml.html)
Cleanse and brighten your hair, helping to remove residues from chlorine build-up, minerals and other medications with Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three. It’s the perfect for use after swimming or before conditioning treatments.then just use a GOOD not Pantene but a GOOD professional conditioner after.

Sounder
04-22-2008, 14:25
I tried the swim cap thing in the pool during a practice session... mainly because I have blonde hair and didn't want the chlorine from the pool turning my hair green. I HATE public pools :smiley11:[/quote]

If you don't want "green" hair try Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three

PAUL MITCHELL SHAMPOO THREE (Various Sizes) (http://www.lookfantastic.com/hair/paul-mitchell/shampoo/paul-mitchell-shampoo-three-300ml.html)
Cleanse and brighten your hair, helping to remove residues from chlorine build-up, minerals and other medications with Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three. Itís the perfect for use after swimming or before conditioning treatments.then just use a GOOD not Pantene but a GOOD professional conditioner after.[/quote]

Or pull a Britney Spears - just shave your head. :smilie39:

Eurodiver
04-22-2008, 14:44
GI JANE
Brittney

It all works

jimmysdevoted
04-24-2008, 19:52
My hubby found this stuff from Got2be its in ayellow tube. Its hair glue. He braids my hair low and then combs the glue through. It keeps all day atfer drying and repels water........ my mask stays in place too......

mona
06-07-2008, 10:08
I didn't end up trying the squid cap I bought so can't comment on that. Didn't try the do-rag either as I didn't get one in time. Simply kept my hair in a braid (regular braid or french braid) and lived with the few stray strands around my face. I did make sure to have a little spray bottle in which I diluted some inexpensive hair conditioner with water and sprayed it on my hair before diving and between dives. When all done and time to shower I put lots of conditioner in my hair trying to finger comb it in or trying to work tangles out with a wide tooth comb while in the shower; then wash with shampoo and apply regular amount of conditioner to hair as I normally do.
I figure no matter what I do I will end up with tangles...so load up on inexpensive hair conditioner (I've been keeping my eye out for sales and clearance and drug stores and department stores...I don't need salon stuff when just diluting to spray on before dive and just washing it out after dive)...keep the better more expensive product to use on your last hairwash of the day.