PDA

View Full Version : accessing a spare air mounted on a ranger LTD

nlamere
12-29-2007, 07:41
I was woundering if you somehow got in trouble and need an xtra air supply if a spare air mounted on the utility zipper under the wing was accessible fairely rapidely... As anyone tryied it before?

rfb3
01-14-2008, 13:37
I used to zip tie mine to the back between the tank and the wing. I don't lkke it there! Too hard to get to... I now put the chest strap and (click-able) cumberbund strap thur it (upside down) and I like it there. I have also used it from that location, and I felt like Johnny Quickdraw getting it out! :)

marchand
01-14-2008, 20:02
It would be pretty accessible.

If you are worried about needing an emergency air supply have you considered getting a pony bottle? Spare air is the bare minimum for an emergency air supply. depending on how deep you are you are either better off not waisting your money on a spare air and doing a CESA, or it will barely give you enough air to make an accent giving you no time to solve any predicament you may have gotten into. You are better off getting a decent sized pony bottle. IMO the only use for a spare air is to give divers a false sense of security.

diversteve
01-14-2008, 21:25
Notice that it mounts upside down so it's pretty easy to grab if needed. Try reaching for your lower back pull dump, it would be in front of that. Personally I'm considering a 13cu. ft. pony mounted there instead.

diver-wife
06-09-2008, 19:08
It would be pretty accessible.

If you are worried about needing an emergency air supply have you considered getting a pony bottle? Spare air is the bare minimum for an emergency air supply. depending on how deep you are you are either better off not waisting your money on a spare air and doing a CESA, or it will barely give you enough air to make an accent giving you no time to solve any predicament you may have gotten into. You are better off getting a decent sized pony bottle. IMO the only use for a spare air is to give divers a false sense of security.
I have never heard a diver recommend spare air, either in person or on these boards, just curious if anyone has anything positive to say (actually had to use one in a OOA situation):smilie40:

rfb3
06-10-2008, 08:29
I have one, used one, and bring it as my "travel" pony bottle...
There always seems to be a lot of unwarranted emotion when it comes to SpareAir. If you haven't noticed yet, there are a lot of divers out there that think their way is the only way... I have found these are usually people that aren't very good at anything else, so they have a complex of some sort. This is NOT a personal attack on anyone in particular, just an observation I've made over my many years of diving.

Zeagle makes a "sleeve" the SpareAir slides into, and it works great!