PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

devildog
12-29-2007, 12:48
What is the best Reg. set to buy and why would you recommend it?

ScubaToys Larry
12-29-2007, 12:54
That's kind of like asking what's the best car to buy... A Porsche... but wait... I want to haul sheet rock. A Pickup truck... but I want to go 140 mph... a Ferrari, but I want to climb hills...

So if you give a bit more info like what kind of diving are you doing, cold, deep, recreational reefs once a year, etc, and do you have features you want?? Like adjustable, swivel, etc... Then we can give you a more informed answer.

mitsuguy
12-29-2007, 18:40
couldn't have come up with a better response...

at the same time, even though that ferrari is one of the best out there,
you can pick up a Z06 Vette that is arguably just as good, but 1/3 the price...

teknitroxdiver
12-29-2007, 19:14
I have two Zeagle Flathead VIs, and love them. They breath wonderful, seem to be quite durable, and the hose routing with them is wonderful! Also they're sealed so you can dive in whatever you want to. Just recently bought the second one for doubles, and look forward to pumping some helium through it!

Zeagle Flathead VI Regulator, Regulators, Zeagle, Zeagle Flathead VI Regulator (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Zeagle_Flathead_VI)

Z-naught
12-29-2007, 20:10
I suggest you look at Atomic Aquatics (http://atomicaquatics.com/). I dive a T1 and consider Atomic's regulators to be among the best in the world. I'm planning on buying an M1 as well. If you plan on doing allot of deep diving or decompression diving, Poseidon's (http://poseidon.se/) regulators would be an excellent choice.

SarahBella
12-30-2007, 08:06
I always thougt the best reg is one you had tried and found to be acceptable as well as fitting into your budget. Everyone raves about the Zeagle gear here on the boards so that may be one to try. There are almost too many possibilities.

CODMAN
12-30-2007, 09:10
Good point Sarah!

Just for your info, most Reg manufacturers make good quality, dependable equipment covering a variety of price ranges. Unless you are doing something out of the ordinary (like very frequent diving, very cold water, very deep, etc...), most low end regs will be fine for recreational use. No need to buy the "Ferrari"... Now if you do have more demanding needs (for diving as I mentioned above) or you want higher performance out of your reg (like easier breathing, low weight for traveling, etc...), you'll need to start looking at the higher end regs and spending more money. Also, you might have personal preferences (in this case you will need to try lots of different models to determine which you prefer) which will push you to buying a more expensive reg.

These are all things you need to think about/ check before buying a Reg.

Oh yeah, one more thing! Buy a Reg you can easily get serviced near you. This will save you many pains in the future when service time comes around.

Have fun shopping!:smiley20:

I always thougt the best reg is one you had tried and found to be acceptable as well as fitting into your budget. Everyone raves about the Zeagle gear here on the boards so that may be one to try. There are almost too many possibilities.

Kokomo
12-30-2007, 09:24
We have Aqualung and a Sherwood mainly because that is what LDS carries and he does the yearly servicing. But we do like them very much.

whse56
12-30-2007, 09:29
One of my diving buddys asked me a question when I asked "how much I should spend on regs"? He asked " if you were into skydiving would you buy the cheap shute that opens 95% of the time, or the more expensive one that opens 99.999% of the time?".
Now I like a little excitement when I dive, but having a reg problem at 100ft is not the kind of thrill I need, I like to breath.:smiley36:
Don't go cheap, buy a good quality reg unit. The one I bought was a Apeks 100, and I love it, but there are several good units out there.
just my 2 cents

skdvr
12-30-2007, 09:51
I have a sherwood Maximus (2 of them) and love them. I also just ordered a scubamax RG 1008 first stage with a scubamax XR 2002 second stage for my pony. I already use a scubamax XR 2002 as my backup second and like the way that it breaths at depth so I figured I would give the first stage a shot...

Phil

divingchef
12-30-2007, 10:13
I grabbed about a month ago 2 new Mares MR12 Abyss (yeah, the nasa rig that Scuba Toys has) for me and my wife....we love it.....easy to manage, comfortable, compact, rugged, and not the most expensive reg on the planet......I would reccomend highly this reg.....

Mares MR 12 Abyss, Regulators, Mares, Mares MR 12 Abyss (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Mares_MR_12_Abyss)

Flatliner
12-30-2007, 10:32
Zeagle Flathead VI: Because, if you buy one, it validates my decision to buy one and I therefore feel better about myself...

Seriously, Great reg for a great price if you think Tech is in your future.

mitsuguy
12-30-2007, 11:18
One of my diving buddys asked me a question when I asked "how much I should spend on regs"? He asked " if you were into skydiving would you buy the cheap shute that opens 95% of the time, or the more expensive one that opens 99.999% of the time?".
Now I like a little excitement when I dive, but having a reg problem at 100ft is not the kind of thrill I need, I like to breath.:smiley36:
Don't go cheap, buy a good quality reg unit. The one I bought was a Apeks 100, and I love it, but there are several good units out there.
just my 2 cents

The only problem with that analogy is that it really doesn't apply...

In skydiving, the chute is obviously considered life support equipment, and the rate of failure is extremely low (and usually due to improper packing or lack of maintenance, not an equipment fault) - and the same applies for regulators, even in the inexpensive models, you typically find they last literally forever, have extremely few problems, and when they do have issues, its almost always due to lack of maintenance, or using one in an environment it wasn't designed for (cold, dirty water, etc)

that being said, I like my Tusa regs, and the particular model I purchased (2 actually) is a Scubapro design, so they are serviceable many places... they breathe easy, and thats all I really care about as I don't do any cold water or serious dirty water diving

devildog
01-03-2008, 19:47
thank you

devildog
01-03-2008, 19:48
Thank you

devildog
01-03-2008, 19:52
Thank you very much great advice

devildog
01-03-2008, 19:55
Which TUSA Reg?

devildog
01-03-2008, 20:17
When you are new and there are so many choices and you do not know the difference between all the regs. You need to ask questions to make sure that you are making the right choice. If I knew what the differences were I would not need to ask the question.

Tom A
01-03-2008, 20:47
also need to make sure your LDS can service them

mitsuguy
01-03-2008, 21:36
When you are new and there are so many choices and you do not know the difference between all the regs. You need to ask questions to make sure that you are making the right choice. If I knew what the differences were I would not need to ask the question.

and it's great that you ask the questions here... I guarantee we will always give you as much and as most confusing info as possible...

myself, personally, have posted no less than three threads regarding which regs to buy and why certain ones justify the higher prices...

What I've come up with myself is a few simple guidelines for a rec rig:

1) Features: do you need a reg that is sealed for dirty water, do you need a reg that is resistant to freezing in extremely cold water, do you care about weight (and spending extra to save fractions of a pound)

2) Reliability: almost all regulators are reliable so long as serviced regularly... IMO, this is not a deciding factor when choosing a regulator due to a lack of measurable difference between different models or manufacturers

3) Serviceability: ability to get parts is a necessity no matter where you are - I have seen no reports of any manufacturer not being able to get parts for recent regulators, so this should not be an issue - as far as the actual labor, well, it's nice if your LDS does service on your equipment, but from what I see, the cost of shipping your gear to Scubatoys is cheaper than paying LDS prices for service, and typically more reliable as well, so unless out of the country, this is almost a non-issue as well...

So, it comes down to price and features... I chose the Tusa RS460's as they are a Scubapro design and if I ever need to get them serviced (I intend on learning myself), almost any shop should be able to (two brands in one is nice), they are a well reviewed regulator with a sensitivity knob that breathes very dry in all positions... Plus they look nice and are fairly lightweight... Those are the features I cared about at least, plus I got a good deal on them...