PDA

View Full Version : Anyone actually had trouble with wireless ai transmitter?

Byte Me
12-29-2007, 13:08
Specifically regarding rough handling (ex, using it as a handle accidentally, BC/tank falling down on the boat or getting dropped?) and having it stop working or otherwise break?

I recently bought a VT3 and was reading this thread http://forum.scubatoys.com/computers-gauges/1275-wireless-transmitter.html
about putting the transmitter on a short hose. I'm not keen on extra failure points though and adding a few o-rings sounds like more potential problem than having the transmitter either mishandled or otherwise busted.

I guess I'd think that if OEMs intended them to be used on a short hose they'd have provided it that way to begin with. Along those lines - if the transmitter is broken due to picking the the BC/Tank up by it OR from falling down is that covered under warranty?

Mycroft
12-29-2007, 14:30
The only dive I had a problem with, I mounted the transmitter / first stage upside down and it was trying to transmit thru the tank. Intermitant problems that dive.

Otherwise 100+ dives withno problems.

Scoobidoo
01-02-2008, 02:34
Good poll! I have an Oceanic Atom w/ an AI transmitter. Great little comp! I have been thinking of getting a 6" HP hose for the transmitter though, I find it hard to tell ppl off not to grab hold onto the transmitter when all they do is try to be helpful and give you a hand on carrying the gear or pull you up onto the boat.

CompuDude
01-02-2008, 02:56
I have mine directly attached for the past couple hundred dives, no problems other than occasional loss of signal for a second or two (then it comes right back). Uwatec SmartTec.

I am careful to warn people not to grab it as a handle, although this is becoming less of an issue since more and more people have them and people learn where not to grab.

I've considered moving it to a short hose but have not bothered to do so yet. I'm not overly worried about the extra "failure points". First off, even if the HP hose did go, it takes quite a while to empty a tank through the HP port since the hole is so tiny. An LP hose failure is FAR more dangerous. (Counter-intuitive but very true)

ryssyr
01-02-2008, 04:42
does anyone sell a rubber band or some other sticker that would warn not to handle? another good way is to make it very uncomfortable to grab. maybe someone will make a band with spikes on it to keep the dive ops and boat handlers from picking it up by the transmitter.

Matt P
01-02-2008, 05:33
I've not had any problems with my transmitter (Suunto Vytec). My transmitter is mounted on my 1st stage opposite the side I wear my computer. Transmitter is on the right, computer is on the left wrist...never any had problems. FYI - transmitter had to be on the right b/c I use a back-up SPG which I wanted mounted on the left.

Aussie
01-03-2008, 02:12
The only real problem I have had with my Suunto transmitter was not pairing it to the dive computers before the dive. It takes like 5 seconds to do and isn't a big issue. I have my D9 on my left wrist and the Vytec on my right.

I also dive with a good brass SPG also. Its hard to ask how much air a customer has when you point computer. They come over and look at your computer and it might take them a while to work out whats going on. Easy to pull out the SPG and point to it.
I like the AI tank pressure on my wrist when I am taking photos as I always have my hands full.

Aussie

Byte Me
01-03-2008, 08:03
Great input! Thanks - I'm going to add a glass/brass backup SPG so I may set things up similarly to many of you where the transmitter is on my right so the backup can be attached to my left chest.

DarkCoffee
01-03-2008, 08:36
I hacked up a 'spiked' plastic dryer ball and slip it over the Tx when I know others will be handling the equipment. Its rounded with blunt 1/2" knobby spikes so it makes the Tx less 'visually appealing' as a grab spot. Being hard plastic it does not appear to effect the Tx distance in any way.

Its a hard call to say if its worth the comments I get about the 'baby pink inflated french tickler' mounted on my tank. :smiley2:

does anyone sell a rubber band or some other sticker that would warn not to handle? another good way is to make it very uncomfortable to grab. maybe someone will make a band with spikes on it to keep the dive ops and boat handlers from picking it up by the transmitter.

thor
01-03-2008, 10:38
Mine is attached directly and haven't have a problem yet. (knock on wood). Woudn't the transmitter bang against the tank if it were on a hose, and run a greater risk of getting damaged?

cummings66
01-03-2008, 11:34
I've always thought the short hose would make it more prone to getting damaged, but who knows. Mine is on my first stage.

habiger
01-03-2008, 22:41
I have never abused my transmitter, never used it as a handle, never dropped it, nothing but it regulerly looses connection to my watch, sometimes it seems to take forever to find it again, maybe its just me but i have had all kinds of trouble

ryssyr
01-04-2008, 02:16
I hacked up a 'spiked' plastic dryer ball and slip it over the Tx when I know others will be handling the equipment. Its rounded with blunt 1/2" knobby spikes so it makes the Tx less 'visually appealing' as a grab spot. Being hard plastic it does not appear to effect the Tx distance in any way.

Its a hard call to say if its worth the comments I get about the 'baby pink inflated french tickler' mounted on my tank. :smiley2:

thats great. ..its exactly what i was thinking, but I didnt consider the hazing factor by doing something like this. maybe if it were black or silver not pink...