PDA

View Full Version : DM swim tests; anybody have the metric standards?

CODMAN
12-30-2007, 11:19
Hi all, I'm going to be doing my DM course soon and am getting ready by swimming laps in the pool. I found the scoring tables/times for the swim tests in yards (on this site) and read there was an equivalent time for the metric versions (400 yard swim isn't equal to a 400 meter swim).

Does anybody have these times/ score tables for the metric distances?

Thanks in advance!:smiley20:

awb
12-30-2007, 16:26
That would be 365.76 meters.

RoadRacer1978
12-30-2007, 17:25
I think he is wanting the times, not just a conversion from yards to meters. The op is aking for the standards in metric, time and distance. The website says there is a 400 meter/yard swim. Since these are different distances the standard for time limit could not be the same.

CODMAN
12-31-2007, 07:57
Exactly Road, it would seem when in a Metric system, they make you do a 400m swim/ 800m snorkel, instead of just adjusting the distances (which means it's harder too!!:smiley5:). Someone insinuated they do this and adjust the required times/scoreboard. And what I wanted to know was what are there times? Although, I'd be plenty happy doing the distance in yards since it is shorter... :smilie39:

happy New year all!:smiley20:

cummings66
01-02-2008, 19:46
I was told they had the same times which meant it was harder for our metric cousins. Could be wrong though, never heard otherwise.

CODMAN
01-07-2008, 13:50
That doesn't sound too fair to me...:smilie40: Especially since you're graded on the time... Oh well...

I was told they had the same times which meant it was harder for our metric cousins. Could be wrong though, never heard otherwise.

Kingpatzer
01-07-2008, 14:20
A score of 5 for the 400 yards is "under 6 minutes."

In a 25 yard or meter pool, that's 45 seconds a lap. I'm 40, overweight, and haven't swam competatively since high school and I can do 38 second laps in a 50 yard pool. That works out to about 41 seconds a lap on a 50 meter pool. Work on flip turns and your arm technique. If your lateral roll is solid, and you've got a good stretch and catch, you'll make the time easy, regardless of it's yards or meters.

If roll and catch are new concepts to you, spend an afternoon with a swim coach and you'll quickly discover that this test is pretty easy. For swimming, technique is really, really important and bad technique will cost you a lot of time on a 400 that has nothing to do with how good of shape you're in.

CODMAN
01-08-2008, 06:47
King, you're absolutely right... I've already started spending time in the pool doing laps. I have no doubt I'll be able to complete the distance... The only question is in what time...:smiley5: Basically, my technique is... Basic...:smilie39: Never had any swimming courses and the last time I did laps in a pool was over 15 years ago...:smilie40: I was amazed at how much technique (the little I already had) I had lost! Especially the breathing coordination.:smiley32: I sucked bad!!!!!!! :smilie39: But I got a local coach to give me some reminders/ pointers, and in just 2 pool sessions, I have already greatly improved the basic technique/ breathing rythm. Aerobic Fitness isn't a question (I race mountain bikes). I figure all I need to do is practice the technique some more, especially to get the "swimming" muscle groups used to the exertion (they sure don't work the same way the biking muscles do). That should do it...

Anyways, I was just wondering since the Meter/yard difference could easily mean a minute difference for me in my swim time. My local pool is 25 meters. If it were yards, I'd need to do 16 laps. The same distance in meters would be about 14 laps.

What do you want...:smiley9: I'm competitive! I always like to do my best at tests and things!

Cheers!:smiley20:

OTGav
01-09-2008, 08:02
400m is under 6 min 30 sec

800m fin is under 14 min

100m tow is under 2 min 10 sec

and the 15 min tread is 15 min no matter how you measure your hamburgers.

It's not so hard at all - unless you have the wrong fins for your legs, enjoy the cramp if you do.