PDA

View Full Version : NITROX and middle age divers

BORG
12-30-2007, 13:34
I'm 53 and plan on finally after many years, getting my AOW this year. I've heard alot of good things about NITROX and how it makes you feel after a dive. Is this hype from my LDS for me to take a NITROX class or the benefits that good for divers, especially those of us that getting to be "older"
(not OLD ,yet) salts.

THANKS!

finflippers
12-30-2007, 14:03
I have not felt any different from diving with Nitrox but I do love the extra added safety I get from diving Nitrox.

Diving Nitrox has one of two advantages you either get "longer bottom time" or you get "greater safety" but not both.

tedwhiteva
12-30-2007, 14:37
I'm 53 and plan on finally after many years, getting my AOW this year. I've heard alot of good things about NITROX and how it makes you feel after a dive. Is this hype from my LDS for me to take a NITROX class or the benefits that good for divers, especially those of us that getting to be "older"
(not OLD ,yet) salts.

THANKS!
Much discussion, but not much scientific evidence about feeling better. I can honesty say for ME, a 60 years young overweight diver, I do feel noticeably less fatigued after a dive with nitrox - typically nitrox 30 - 32. I base this on about 200+ dives with nitrox and a bunch more without. But many have said here they can't tell the difference, but I don't know their experience level. It will NOT improve your SAC rate.
:smilie40:

GruPoo
12-30-2007, 15:07
I am very new to diving but was a CEP (Paramedic) for six years. Oxygen in moderation is a wonderful thing for the human body. Anytime we consume a larger than normal ammount of 02 we always feel better regaurdless of age.

Capt Hook
12-30-2007, 15:09
At 60, I don't notice any less fatigue diving Nitrox, but my wife swears she feels better.

NitroWill
12-30-2007, 15:14
I feel no difference after diving nitrox - but it does have advantageous and is a good certification to have.

ketchumid2
12-30-2007, 16:07
I'm a recreational diver but enjoy the nitrox when available- Take the course, a week of diving with Nitox can go a long way for deco time on 3 dives a day.

Bob-B
12-30-2007, 22:19
I am 61 years old and just got my OW. The dive instructors mentioned that they love Nitrox and dive it any time they can get it. It was also mentioned that as you get older and your metabolism slows it might take longer to get rid of the Nitrogen in your system. So with Nitrox your levels will be lower to start with. Just another safety measure. I am taking the class next month so I have the ticket before a trip to Mexico in February.

On guy I met in Grand Cayman said that he always wanted to take a nap after the morning two tank dives and now that he is using Nitrox he doesn't feel he need to.

texdiveguy
12-30-2007, 22:59
(not OLD ,yet) salts.

THANKS!

BORG... I would suggest you invest the time/$ in a basic nitrox course....if you are doing the 'target' dive profiles nitrox is geared toward and are doing repeative dives, you will see the benefits of this gas. As to feeling better after diving nitrox....I persl. feel this is a mental thing for the most part---if you are told you will feel better and go into your dives believing this to be true, than you probably will.....I dive every thing from air to nitrox to hypoxic trimix, and I have never persl. felt any better after diving nitrox vs. air.

adv_diver1
12-31-2007, 11:27
all nitrox really is, is your tank is filled with more oxygen than nitrogen, vs. the old style where the nitrogen content is higher and there is less oxygen. nitrox is better for anyone diving, but not required.

CODMAN
12-31-2007, 13:55
I, as well as several people I know (some of which are tech divers) say they feel less fatigued. I find this to be true.. For me... This said, there isn't SUPPOSED to be a difference. And a lot of people claim they don,t feel a difference.:smilie40: All I know is I now dive Nitrox any time I can get it.:smiley20:

Cheers!

cummings66
12-31-2007, 15:30
I feel no different diving with Nitrox.

WD8CDH
12-31-2007, 16:45
I have a severe heart problem and I feel better after a NITROX dive than I do before (don't tell my cardiologist that I am still diving).

texdiveguy
12-31-2007, 17:01
I have a severe heart problem and I feel better after a NITROX dive than I do before (don't tell my cardiologist that I am still diving).

Do you solo dive only...or just with close dive buddies now since your heart problems?

whse56
12-31-2007, 17:12
My schedule for nest summer is definetly Nitrox and Advanced Open Water. I've heard to many people praise Nitrox not to try it.

WD8CDH
12-31-2007, 18:42

Do you solo dive only...or just with close dive buddies now since your heart problems?

A bit of both but my solo diving tends to be limited to untangling lines around rich boat owners props.:smiley36:

TxHockeyGuy
12-31-2007, 18:46
BORG... I would suggest you invest the time/$ in a basic nitrox course....if you are doing the 'target' dive profiles nitrox is geared toward and are doing repeative dives, you will see the benefits of this gas. As to feeling better after diving nitrox....I persl. feel this is a mental thing for the most part---if you are told you will feel better and go into your dives believing this to be true, than you probably will.....I dive every thing from air to nitrox to hypoxic trimix, and I have never persl. felt any better after diving nitrox vs. air.

I would have to agree with this almost in its entirety. Take the class and learn about the benefits. If you decide to dive nitrox to the nitrox table limits you won't be any better off, diving it less than that or to the air limits and you will be.

I personally do feel better on dives post nitrox. I was aware of all the arguments and figured it was also a placebo effect like many others here. In fact I wasn't even the one who noticed the difference with me. I was diving on vacation and family members were the ones that noticed I was staying up later and doing more on certain days vs others, it wasn't until later I realized those were the days I was diving nitrox vs air. I certainly don't consider that 100% proof and there were other differences that day that could possibly account for the extra energy, however nitrox was the biggest difference so I believe there might be something to the less fatigue after diving nitrox belief.

LostnVA
01-01-2008, 21:02
If nothing else, it provides less nitrogen loading so you will be able to do a repetative dive sooner than air breathers. :smiley20:

jbres1
01-12-2008, 22:36
I was in a dive shop this past summer getting some air fills when the kid filling the tanks asked, " why aren't you diving Nitrox , at your advanced age and all". Boy you could have blown me over when I was told that.
I'm 51 years old, and am able to carry (2) lp98's into the shop without any help . I don't think of mself as being old, well maybe a little older than I was 30 years ago.
I will be going to Nitrox this summer, now that I will be almost 52 and all.
Jim Breslin

texdiveguy
01-12-2008, 22:55
I was in a dive shop this past summer getting some air fills when the kid filling the tanks asked, " why aren't you diving Nitrox , at your advanced age and all". Boy you could have blown me over when I was told that.
I'm 51 years old, and am able to carry (2) lp98's into the shop without any help . I don't think of mself as being old, well maybe a little older than I was 30 years ago.
I will be going to Nitrox this summer, now that I will be almost 52 and all.
Jim Breslin

LOL...thats a riot....yep us 'old' guys in their 50's!!

bperrybap
01-13-2008, 00:07
all nitrox really is, is your tank is filled with more oxygen than nitrogen, vs. the old style where the nitrogen content is higher and there is less oxygen. nitrox is better for anyone diving, but not required.

Nitrox is an air/gas mixture that has a lower percentage of nitrogen than regular
air. This is accomplished by adding oxygen to the tank or removing some
of the nitrogen from the air as the tank is being filled.

It is possible that there is more oxygen than nitrogen in the mixture, but not
normally. Normally folks tend to dive 30-36% oxygen, with 32 being quite popular.
Which means that there is still more nitrogen than oxygen in the tank.

--- bill

Puffer Fish
01-13-2008, 12:14
Do you actually feel better after diving with Nitrox? I believe that is a grey area, because what exactly does "feel better" mean...

However, it has been a couple of years since I used any regular air - but for far different reasons.

First: My tanks are O2 cleaned, so I am not going to put regular compressed air in them, particularly because several places I get are to blending in the tank.

Second: Almost all of the diving I do is at or near the sweet spot for Nitrox...where you get far more bottom time and less required surface interval.

Third: Staying down, on a boat, longer that your standard diver does, means you actually need that short surface interval, or you have one upset captain.

Fourth: I get a lot of fills at fill express, where the cost is the same for NITRO or Air...

I would only use air today, if I was on a trip where it was not available, or it was not appropriate for the type of diving.

Aussie
01-15-2008, 07:47
Do you actually feel better after diving with Nitrox? I believe that is a grey area, because what exactly does "feel better" mean...

However, it has been a couple of years since I used any regular air - but for far different reasons.

First: My tanks are O2 cleaned, so I am not going to put regular compressed air in them, particularly because several places I get are to blending in the tank.

Second: Almost all of the diving I do is at or near the sweet spot for Nitrox...where you get far more bottom time and less required surface interval.

Third: Staying down, on a boat, longer that your standard diver does, means you actually need that short surface interval, or you have one upset captain.

Fourth: I get a lot of fills at fill express, where the cost is the same for NITRO or Air...

I would only use air today, if I was on a trip where it was not available, or it was not appropriate for the type of diving.

I would have to agree with you Puff on this one. There is always a first for everything:smiley20:.

Problem is with over here is that there isnt many LDS outside the major capital cities that have Nitrox. If we did i would be diving with it everyday.

I believe i feel less tired when using Nitrox especially diving on a 5 dive a day liveaboard and doing 100min runs.

The strange thing is when I go from diving with AIR to Nitrox on liveaboards is that my first dive on nitrox I consume more gas than normal. It only on the first dive and its happened of several occasions.

Aussie

Lone Frogman
01-15-2008, 08:59
I feel no difference after diving nitrox.

cutter77
01-16-2008, 01:40
I feel no different diving with Nitrox.