PDA

View Full Version : wetsuit choice

mpd525
12-30-2007, 13:47
I'm gonna get a wetsuit in the next few days. My problem is 1. i can't decide which to get, 2. i can't make up my mind on thickness.

I'm debating the Pinnacle 3mm merino, henderson thermoprene, or a bare 3/2, or maybe even the neosport 4/3. I dive all year, so i know i'm gonna buy a 7mm, but i'm trying to decide whether i want to get a 3mm, or a 5mm for the summer. I dive mostly in the lake, and we will be traveling. Help me decide.

teknitroxdiver
12-30-2007, 14:33
I started with a Henderson 3mm, and now have a Bare 5/4. I would go with the Bare any day. I like it much better than the henderson, and appreciate the extra thickness in the colder months. Besides, you can always flush in some cold water if you get warm, but there's nothing you can do about it if you get cold.

BuzzF117
12-30-2007, 14:51
I dove with a Bare 5/4 all summer long and really liked it especially if you get a thermalcline in the spring fed lakes. It wasn't uncommon to have 80 degree's at the surface and then low 60's at about 30 feet. I found myself changing depth to warm up but the 5mm was fine. I picked up a Henderson 5mm that is on closeout for the price you can't beat it. For colder lakes like Lake Michigan I used a hooded front zip vest and I was plenty warm.

Buzz

dannybot
12-30-2007, 21:49
Where are you diving? What is the temp? In the summer here, I use nothing, sometimes the local quarry water temp gets to the mid 90's. In the Caribbean, where I prefer to dive, I'll wear a 3 mm shorty for water temp in the mid 80's, and a 3/2 full suit for 77-81 deg. Colder than that, I stay home!

navyhmc
12-30-2007, 22:07
Darn, dannybot beat me to the question. All depends on what your water temp is and what your comfort range is. I prefer a farmer john and jacket, but currently have a one piece that zips in the back. It's okay, but I still like the 2-piece better.

Z-naught
12-31-2007, 01:53
I'm a big fan of Pinnacle Aquatics (http://www.pinnacleaquatics.com/). I have the Polar 7/5mm Merino Lined (http://www.pinnacleaquatics.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=2&toplvl=4&catid=4&catprods=4) wetsuit and can vouch for the excellent performance and high quality construction of Pinnacle's products. Their use of merino wool is my favourite aspect of their wetsuits. It's very soft, keeps you warm, and slides off your skin easily, making wetsuit donning/doffing much easier than the others wetsuits I've worn. Their sizing seems to be a bit on the small side, but that makes for a tight fitting wetsuit, which is ideal really. Try one on; you might like it!

CompuDude
12-31-2007, 03:00
I can't really help you on the thin suits... SoCal water doesn't really warm up enough to use anything other than 7mm... if not a drysuit.

But my next ~7mm suit will be an Xcel semidry, if that's any help. I like a LOT of things about my current Henderson InstaDry, but they're too expensive and don't last as long as I'd like for all that money. If Henderson made an InstaDry in the same form factor as a semi-dry I'd have a tougher decision looming.

kancho
12-31-2007, 07:33
I dive a Bare Velocity 5/4.. It isn't bad. I love the zippers at the ankle makes putting it on so much easier than the ones without it. Since I got my Dry Suit I will dive Dry as much as I can. If it is too warm I will dive my 3mm. I think if I need my 5mm I can use my DS. We will see.

jmull
12-31-2007, 17:24
I am lets say a large man I have a henderson Hyperstretch suit and now wonder why anyone would ever buy a different type of suit. It is amazingly easy to slip on just like a suit and jacket. I myself will never own another suit. and with about 200 cold water lake and salt water combined dives Thumbs up to henderson.5/3mil

mpd525
12-31-2007, 22:32
i've decided to go with a 5/4mm bare, for alot of reasons, but thanks everybody.

Defman
01-01-2008, 08:22
I haven't seen anybody mention it, but I think brand name should be secondary to buying what fits you best. Buy what fits right and worry about the label later....

dannybot
01-16-2008, 15:51
I haven't seen anybody mention it, but I think brand name should be secondary to buying what fits you best. Buy what fits right and worry about the label later....

I agree, one of my instructors turned his nose up at the notion of a "cheap" Bodyglove suit, he asked how well it would hold up. I told him I had been jetskiing in it for eight years. He then admitted he only gets a few years out of his Henderson suits before the zippers and seams fail.