PDA

View Full Version : What is the best?

devildog
12-30-2007, 15:14
What is the best starter computer?:smilie40:

CODMAN
12-31-2007, 08:10
It depends. Just how basic you want to go, knowing you might want to upgrade in a bit because it doesn,t have all the options you need now you've progressed! I think you need to ask yourself a few questions to avoid this.
Will you want to dive Nitrox in the future?
Wrist or console?
Just how conservative do you want the computer to be?
Can I get it easily serviced nearby?

And of course there are other more advanced options you could question yourself about (air integrated or not, etc.), but since you said basic, I'll leave them out.

Food for thought!:smiley20:

texdiveguy
12-31-2007, 08:34
The one that you take the time to learn how to operate it fully and understand its functions....SO many times I see divers who have NO clue as to the operation of their dive computer---GEE!!

I prefer the simple no bells and whistles wrist mount models....Dive Rite,,Oceanic and several companies manufacture these models.

boat
12-31-2007, 17:27
I'll bite . . .

Aeris XR1. You did say "starter".

Duckydiver
12-31-2007, 20:08
I have a Suunto Geeko. I does air and nitrox, is very easy to use, and was in my price range. Comes Console or wrist mount. I don't know which is better. I have console mount and still don't know which I prefer.

Matt P
12-31-2007, 20:24
How do you measure, "best?" Which quality attributes are most important to your definition of best? Idenitfy that and the rest is just leg work

Kingpatzer
12-31-2007, 21:22
I don't have any idea about "best," but my first computer was a Suunto Gecko, and I've never seen a need to upgrade it.

whse56
01-01-2008, 00:13
I started with a Suunto Mosquito and now I'm up to a Cobra2 and the Mosquito is my backup.

SarahBella
01-01-2008, 07:46
I dive a Mares M2...
Mares M2 Nitrox / Air Dive Computer, Computers: Nitrox, Mares, Mares M2 Nitrox / Air Dive Computer (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresM2)

It does Nitrox and is pretty simple-you can even get it in a console if you want. I liked the idea of two AAA batteries-easy to get and easy to change. Oh yeah, its 180+shipping right now as well!

Bigg_Budd
01-01-2008, 07:56
Anything Oceanic.

Defman
01-01-2008, 08:18
I'm gonna have to agree with texdiveguy on this, it's the one you learn how to use. I am guilty of not knowing my new Wisdom very well and I should correct that problem...

I will offer that you probably should buy a Nitrox computer so you don't have to go thru the hassle of swapping it out if/when you do go Nitrox. Some dive shops may offer a free Nitrox class if you buy a Nitrox computer from them, so shop around and see if you can swing such a deal..

azdiver
01-01-2008, 09:38
My first was a suunto sme bought in 1989 and I upgraded to a Geko a few years ago. Only reason I will upgrade in thr future would be to get rid of having to use the console/hose.

ianr33
01-01-2008, 09:48
I bought an Aeris Atmos Pro(a nitrox computer) with my first set of dive gear maybe 12 years ago.It died on me maybe 3 years ago. Aeris replaced it for $100 with a refurbished unit (it was out of production by then)

I still use it on every dive that I do.Am happy using it for "light"deco dives(adding manual deep stops and so on) On stage deco dives it functions as a bottom timer (Just need to bend it first to stop it being a computer)

It lives on my wrist now rather than in a console and is one of the best pieces of gear I ever bought.

I have no desire to ever replace it with an integrated digital heart monitor/compass/substitute brain.

Although I will buy a trimix computer when the right one comes along.

dannybot
01-01-2008, 11:54
I have a Suunto Geeko. I does air and nitrox, is very easy to use, and was in my price range. Comes Console or wrist mount. I don't know which is better. I have console mount and still don't know which I prefer.

Geeko? is that a Gekko for nerds?

I have a Gekko too, like it easy to use. But if you aren't going to move on to nitrox, or dive at night, I would recommend an XR1. It is even easier to use!

If you are going to dive nitrox eventually, or will dive at night, look at the Veo 180, or Gekko.

P.S. Has anyone tried the Zeagle comps?

Tom A
01-01-2008, 14:22
got my wife an oceanic nav con for christmas thinking about getting me one since my unwtec wont mate up to my new oceanic reg

CaptainRon
01-01-2008, 17:43
What is the best starter computer?:smilie40:

It depends. Are you a Cadillac type of person or will any old daily driver do? It's the same with dive computers. Do you need all the bells and whistles or do you just want to track your no deco time on recreational dives?

If you are the latter, the aeris XR-1 is a good basic choice.

devildog
01-27-2008, 08:34
I would like to thank everyone for your advice, it was very helpful.
I purchased a Aeris Atmos 2 from Scuba Toys with my Reg Package.

I do not want to be that guy that does not know how to use it.

So I will read the manual and play in the pool before the big trip.

Thank again everyone.

Devildog.

navyhmc
01-27-2008, 11:14
Well, the Oceanic Geo is a good starter computer: Fairly easy to work, Nitrox capable, PC downloadable, has both O2 CNS and N2 loading bars. Gets my vote-especially since Scuba Toys has them on sale for $350.
:)

fireflock
01-27-2008, 11:32
I upgraded to a Geko a few years ago. Only reason I will upgrade in thr future would be to get rid of having to use the console/hose.

No need to upgrade, just buy one of these:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=48

and move it.

fireflock
01-27-2008, 11:38
P.S. Has anyone tried the Zeagle comps?

There are a ton of them out there, since they are the same as the DiveRite Nitek Duo, Tusa IQ-700, and some Cressi model I think. The computer itself is made by Seiko.

All that said, they seem to be popular. The Zeagle at ST is priced a little better than the others clones and you know Zeagle/ST will stand behind the product. When the products are identical, I tend to make a final decision based on the support of the companies marketing them.

Rich

buddhasummer
02-06-2008, 00:13
fireflock the cressi is called Edy, and yes its made by seiko in Japan.

I would recommend a gekko also I use the mosquito, or did till it died, I have friends who use the Gekko very reliable, nice price, easy to use, user replacable battery good re sale etc but one "down side"(maybe not) is that is has no back light so on night dives youll need to shine ya light on it to see, not a real biggie but for some a pain...good luck

And as fireflock says many of the computers are infact made by the same company with different branding and this can affect price so look carefully before you buy e.g DR nitek is the same as a Tusa model and an aqalung model but youll pay more for the DR branded one and less for the aqualung, aeris is a family company of Oceanic so again they are the same computers save branding and minor cosmetic diffs...good luck

Kingpatzer
02-06-2008, 07:05
My first was a suunto sme bought in 1989 and I upgraded to a Geko a few years ago. Only reason I will upgrade in thr future would be to get rid of having to use the console/hose.

You can take the gekko out of the console and put it in a wrist strap.

cummings66
02-06-2008, 07:30
Anything you can afford, one that includes Nitrox as a starter.

Scoobidoo
02-06-2008, 15:09
Oceanic - it's a reliable brand, comes with free parts for life (if buying from authorized sellers...ST), fairly priced. Geo is a good starter computer.

TX1Chica
02-07-2008, 09:36
Got my Geo for Christmas and dove it a few weeks ago in Cozumel. I Really like it. Its easy to use and I like how small it is (and still easy to read).

MSilvia
02-07-2008, 10:52
What is the best starter computer?
Your brain.

CompuDude
02-07-2008, 12:35
Any of the Oceanic computers is generally my recommendation. I don't like Suunto's overly conservative algorithms.

This assumes you're young and reasonably healthy. For older divers or divers with risk factors, the Suunto's aren't a bad idea. And the higher end Suunto's are popular for tech due to their decent gauge mode. For pure recreational diving, the Gekko is nice, although the lack of a light is a valid issue. Still, since I have a can light on my left and my comp on my right, I rarely use my computer's backlight anyway.

If you're looking at the higher end Oceanics, the ScubaPro/Uwatec computers start to look pretty good also (that's what I use), but I don't think they have anything comparable to Oceanic's lower end "starter" computers.

RoyN
02-07-2008, 13:05
Alot of people have praised the Uwatec Smart series and Oceanic/Aeries. I don't think you can go work with anything. :D

tex2tall
02-07-2008, 18:47
I would recommend getting a air-integrated, So if you get distracted & reach a set pressure it will warn you "BEEP" look at me! I use the Oceanic ProPlus2.

GPC
02-08-2008, 04:50
What is the best starter computer with nitrox? I had a mosquito, but it was stoles. Now, I donīt know which to choose?

CompuDude
02-08-2008, 12:37
What is the best starter computer with nitrox? I had a mosquito, but it was stoles. Now, I donīt know which to choose?

Everything recommended so far in this thread.

cmburch
02-29-2008, 08:28
I have been using Oceanic for about 20 years. They have an excellent upgrade program. I am thinking about going hoseless.

cummings66
02-29-2008, 11:09
Hoseless is kind of neat, I like the way it works. It's not really needed but is very nice for solo dives.

As to the other, I think any computer that includes Nitrox as a gas is good for starting out.

FyVe
02-29-2008, 14:39
im also picking up a new computer
and i went with the zeagle n2ition for a few reasons... it looks like it's user friendly.. the screen is big and clear, and it is backed by zeagle. this computer will grow with me.