PDA

View Full Version : Are some regs engineering superior to others ?

kauai diver
12-30-2007, 16:08
Do some regulators, first and second stages have a much better engineered design that others for function and durability. Atomic Aquatics with their reviews and 2 year service interval is obviously one.
? Are there any other reg manufacturers that have a 2-year interval ?
Zeagle, Scubapro, and some others claim they have a superior internal design relating to durability.
? Is this just sales hype or are some regs clearly superior in design ?
? What are some really well engineered makes and models in the under $400 price range ?

fireflock
12-30-2007, 16:24
There are differences, but pretty much every reg made by a major name is just fine for recreational diving. Each has something they market that sets them apart, but really they are minor differences that the average diver probably would not notice.

I think aqualung has some regs with a 2 yr interval recommended.

The Zeagle Envoy would be one of the well engineered in the under $400 category, IMO.

You might want to check out the reg tests at scubadiving.com (choose GEAR-->Regs). They have some objective and some subjective tests for a lot of popular regs. The only downside is that you might have to look through a few of the tests to find the model you're interested in. Zeagle Envoy get high marks, BTW, as do all the Atomics.

Rich

awap
12-30-2007, 16:39
The 2-year service interval is a function of marketing, not engineering.

CompuDude
12-30-2007, 16:55
I'd give Atomics the edge on engineering, but others aren't far behind. There are some legitimate reasons behind the two year interval, vs. the one year for nearly everyone else, and those reasons are directly related to some engineering advancements.

Of course, you can look at engineering in more ways than one. Sherwood regs are nearly bullet-proof because of their incredible simplicity. Those aren't exactly engineering "advances", however, and they don't make the regs easier to breathe or increase the service interval, they just make them easier to service.

Byte Me
12-30-2007, 17:44
I just picked up a reg set and from what 3 people at Scuba Toys said the Oceanic Delta 4 and FDX10 is the best of the "category" that it's in. Between the DVT, sealed 1st stage, ease of breathing, swivel on the 2nd stage for comfort it's got all kinds of great features. I asked specifically about it vs a couple of the others mentioned in this thread and they were very high on this reg. So, that's what I bought.

Price wise I got what I feel was a VERY good deal on it because I bought it with a computer so although list is over $400 I'd call ST and see what they can do for you.

awap
12-30-2007, 18:01
There are some legitimate reasons behind the two year interval, vs. the one year for nearly everyone else, and those reasons are directly related to some engineering advancements.

I sorta doubt that but am open to hearing about the specifics.

mitsuguy
12-30-2007, 18:12
There are some legitimate reasons behind the two year interval, vs. the one year for nearly everyone else, and those reasons are directly related to some engineering advancements.

I sorta doubt that but am open to hearing about the specifics.

as am I...

if you read some of the long term tests, after a year, some regs breathe almost as good as new, or within a very unnoticeable difference of range, while others started to get harder or wetter to breathe, and a standard service returned them to like new usability... the only problem with the test I read was that the results seemed entirely random and the results weren't necessarily related to brand or model, but more to luck of the draw...

basics behind it - all modern regs are pretty reliable and pretty bulletproof, some have some cool metals and such, but when it really comes down to the actual workings of it, they are all extremely simple mechanically, and wear depending on use...

as far as the service interval being longer on certain regs, well, it's kinda like GM claiming the coolant in their cars is good for 100k miles... sure, it might work for some, but I've seen car engines all but ruined due to not doing maintenance more often... it is more times than not, as mentioned, a function of marketing...

fireflock
12-30-2007, 18:34
read about the Atomic seat saving orifice. It's just a small piece, but it helps keep the 2nd stage in tune longer. In the case of Atomics, corrosion resistant materials are supposed to help too (not just overpriced Titanium, across the line).

in_cavediver
12-30-2007, 18:56
There are only a few true designs out there for first stages. Some mfgs tweak the orifices and channel routing or have different environmental kits, but for most rec divers, you'd never see a difference in first stages. The material used is really not an issue. Titanium and other exotics might sound cool but is really not needed. As a matter of fact, those exotics make them unsuitable for high O2 concentrations and thus limit the regs usefulness.

2nd stages on the other hand can and do have unique differences in the design. For instance, Apeks has an overbalanced 2nd stage for ease of breathing. Posieden uses a servo valve and a side exhaust. Many others offer difference shapes of the mouthpiece and exhaust tee. Some have a predive/dive switch and adjustment knobs. Some have heat fins. What's best is really diver dependent and in some cases is nothing more than personal preference.

As for the 1yr vs 2yr service life, I call it marketing and liability rather than engineering. For the record, Dive Rite is a 2 year company as well.

fisheater
12-30-2007, 19:34
As for the 1yr vs 2yr service life, I call it marketing and liability rather than engineering. For the record, Dive Rite is a 2 year company as well.

Zeagle is kind of half-way. Every other year is an inspection, the other year being a service.

kauai diver
12-31-2007, 21:29
A BIG Thank You for the great technical replies, I learned a lot !
HAPPY NEW YEARS !

Aussie
01-01-2008, 06:00
The question to ask is how many dives per service not years. I have been told that most companies base their annual sevicing on consumers doing 20-30 dives a year.
Therefore if you have a week liveaboard trip and do your 30 dives, thats the same as one year to them. Or if your in the diving industry and diving everyday your "yearly" serivce comes up once a month.

Something to think about,

Aussie

scubamikey
01-15-2008, 18:02
What do you think of an apex xtx50 cold water reg ? It has a yearly service interval but all parts are free for life .

ChuckWagon
01-17-2008, 08:31
From the Atomic site:

2 year/300 Dive service interval: Corrosion resistant materials and maintenance saving designs extend the customary annual service period to 2 years.
Limited lifetime warranty not contingent upon annual servicing.

MSilvia
01-17-2008, 09:42
What do you think of an apex xtx50 cold water reg ? It has a yearly service interval but all parts are free for life .
I got my TX50 without a warranty, and get it serviced every two years. It's rock solid.

BSea
01-17-2008, 10:13
I'm pretty sure the specs say that the parts are only changed out evey 2 years, but it is cleaned every year. I think that's how they can justify the "Free Parts" thing. So I think it boils down to a 2 year service interval is fine if you don't have or want the warranty parts.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-17-2008, 11:52
So, what are the differences among an XTX50, an ATX50, and a TX50. I assume they are basically the same reg with some minor differences.

scubamikey
01-17-2008, 18:16
Thanks for the info. I sure wish I would have found this site before I bought my regs .I bought two sets ,one for my son and me. I bought these regs because of the free warranty on the parts .thinking I would save in the long run .Thats how they get newbees to buy .I was going to buy the atomics but figured maintance was going to be higher since Im paying for two .

BSea
01-18-2008, 08:28
Thanks for the info. I sure wish I would have found this site before I bought my regs .I bought two sets ,one for my son and me. I bought these regs because of the free warranty on the parts .thinking I would save in the long run .Thats how they get newbees to buy .I was going to buy the atomics but figured maintance was going to be higher since Im paying for two .
Don't get me wrong. If you have your gear maintained according to the manufacturer, the free parts thing does come into play. Last year I bought an Apeks over an Atomic partly because of the free parts, and the fact that the atomic requires up to 2 ounces of Christolube when its serviced. So, most (if not all) brands that offer the free parts are name brand regs, and that includes the Apeks.

scubamikey
01-29-2008, 15:29
what is cristolube and is it expensive. How much are the parts worth to change on apex / How much is the charge usually for servicing both.

scubamikey
01-29-2008, 15:32
SO would you say apex is a good set of regs ? The only thing I can say is the mouthpiece keeps breaking .THanks for all your help.

Puffer Fish
01-29-2008, 16:58
what is cristolube and is it expensive. How much are the parts worth to change on apex / How much is the charge usually for servicing both.
Last I checked cristolube (an O2 safe lubricant) was around $35.00 for 2 oz...but it gets cheaper, the more you buy.

cummings66
01-30-2008, 12:35
I think Apeks is a great regulator, far superior to my Sherwoods for example.

Never had any problems at all with them. As to the the differences, there can't be much because the same service kits are used on them.

scubamikey
02-01-2008, 12:47
thanks for info. guys This is a great site. I will be telling others.

NorthwoodsDiver
02-01-2008, 16:41
Been doing recreational diving with the same reg since 1988 and it has never let me down. Cold water, salt water, 130' deep water. Seems to breathe just fine for me and I have never had a freeflow. So do all these fancy marketing-driven technological advances really make a difference....gotta wonder. Been tempted to upgrade many times but always end up asking myself why. Now if I was a tech or public safety diver it might be a different story.

in_cavediver
02-01-2008, 19:47
Been doing recreational diving with the same reg since 1988 and it has never let me down. Cold water, salt water, 130' deep water. Seems to breathe just fine for me and I have never had a freeflow. So do all these fancy marketing-driven technological advances really make a difference....gotta wonder. Been tempted to upgrade many times but always end up asking myself why. Now if I was a tech or public safety diver it might be a different story.

I don't know, a reliable good performing reg seems to meet a lot of the requirements for tec diving. I personally care more about reliability that absolute performance. I know good regs such as most Zeagles or Dive Rites will perform adequately to 200' and all have been extremely reliable (and user servicable to boot)