PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic and Aeris recalls on 1st stages, should these brands be avoided?

kauai diver
12-30-2007, 16:47
I liked the Aeris and Oceanic regs pretty well and they are in the running for an upcoming purchase. I am a bit concerned that the recall I believe was reguarding inferior metals used in the seats that could cause a catastrophic failure, spread over a rather extensive model lines.

? these were bad enough to fail, how many regs may have shortened servicable lifespans due to inferior metals?

With recent toys with lead paint, and poison dog food coming into our country, plus my own experience with the inferior metals used in some China built tractors. I am a plumber and the brass/bronze and workmanship of China made valves and steel pipe are inferior to U.S. made ones by far. They do not seem to hold life at the same priority that most of U.S. do, quanity over quality etc. Even U.S manufactured products are riddled with parts from China, what is one to do ?

I understand that Aeris and Oceanic have wonderful warranties that will take care of the consumer, but who needs the hastle and inconvenience.

? Do you feel that one recall is an isolated case and the regs are great and have a long serviceable life ?
? Does ST and other reputible internet dealers check the stock they sell to be sure none is included in the recall?
? Are Zeagle regs all U.S. parts ? Atomics yes, any others ?

fireflock
12-30-2007, 16:50
Yes
Yes
Yes

terrillja
12-30-2007, 20:26
I liked the Aeris and Oceanic regs pretty well and they are in the running for an upcoming purchase. I am a bit concerned that the recall I believe was reguarding inferior metals used in the seats that could cause a catastrophic failure, spread over a rather extensive model lines.

They were only installed in the CDX5 and FDX10 from the factory, but the recalled parts were also included in service kits, so the parts were only used originally in 2 model lines, but the service kits were what spread it over the other model lines.

? Do you feel that one recall is an isolated case and the regs are great and have a long serviceable life ?

I feel that this is an isolated incident, with proper care regs can last a long time.

? Does ST and other reputible internet dealers check the stock they sell to be sure none is included in the recall?

yes

? Are Zeagle regs all U.S. parts ? Atomics yes, any others ?

No clue on that one, the recalled oceanic parts are from Taiwan and the US. FWIW, look at the link below, even Atomic and Zeagle have had recalls in the past. I would much rather that a company has a recall rather than just keep their mouth shut, even if the risk is very minimal.
http://www.scuba.com/resources/equiprecall.asp

Flatliner
12-31-2007, 09:09
My thought isn't "does the company have a problem" but rather "what does the company DO when they have a problem". That's how I decide who to deal with.

crosseyed95
12-31-2007, 18:06
My thought isn't "does the company have a problem" but rather "what does the company DO when they have a problem". That's how I decide who to deal with.

I had posted quite a while ago that the wife and I were diving and hit 95' in 36 deg F water when her Aeris regulator free flowed. While I was turning her tank off/on, my regulator cut loose. We had plenty of air (100's with 30's as ponies) so it never turned into an emergency.

LDS contacted Aeris and their response was that the divers must have been breathing heavy, etc, etc but that it wasn't their regulators. I threw mine (and wifes) regulators back at the LDS and bought Apeks. LDS owner felt so bad he gave me full credit on the Aeris. Within the next month, 5 more divers at my LDS had free flows (including a newer diver on her first deeper dive - scary if you think about that). For months, Aeris wouldn't admit the problem. Personally, I was insulted. Not that Aeris had a problem but with the fact that when they received my LDS's call, they "immediately" started blaming me as the diver.

Your comment is right to the point. I'll never buy another Aeris product in my life because of how they handled it. A divers life depends upon their equipment and I won't go into the water with a single piece that I don't totally trust. Aeris broke that trust with me and many divers in my area.

kauai diver
12-31-2007, 21:21
Thank You everyone for the great replies and info.
HAPPY NEW YEAR !