PDA

View Full Version : 76 in the keys--- and nothing to wear!

Malbec
12-30-2007, 18:25
Welcome to my first post! I'm new to your website but I've been reading lots of posts in the wetsuit forum trying to find out the best answer to my question. Now that I have some ideas, I'd like to ask you directly. I'm really excited to be a member of this community!

Myself (almost AOW) and DH (brand new diver) are going on our first dive oriented vacation in April, to the Keys. My diving has so far taken place in Australia and the Caribbean, where I either wore my 1.5mm or rented a thicker one. Now, we're interested in buying some suits and I'm very interested in the Henderson Hyperstretch- or was, until I started hearing about BARE and Tilos Superstretch. Now I'm just even more confused. Unfortunately, the area we live in doesn't have a great abundance of dive shops to try things on, and the one I'm comfortable and familiar with pretty much only sells Henderson so I can't get an objective opinion.

1. Henderson HyperStretch vs Tilos SuperStretch... does BARE have anything along these lines? I'm willing to trade some durability and some warmth (just get a thicker one) for some very comfortable diving. From the looks of it the Henderson is all over superstretchy where the Tilos is only in parts (???)

2. What thickness? I want to stay completely covered with long sleeves and legs- do I want a 3mm? a 5mm? Something else? What about DH? He is a bit warmer natured as well a bit stockier- I am particularly worried about the fit of his suit since he is not particularly tall but IS very thick through the chest/shoulders/arms (and waist but don't tell him I said so!)

Thanks- Sorry if this is an inane question, I did some research on here before asking but I can't seem to make a final decision and my local shop isn't lots of help!

NitroWill
12-30-2007, 18:30
Henderson hyperstretch are very nice suits - I don't think you would have second doubts with one of those. As for thickness. I dive year round in florida with either a skin (1mil), 3mil for most, and a 3mil w/ a 2mil hooded vest for the springs (72F) this system works very well for me.

If you will be diving colder areas or are more cold prone, a 5mil might suit you better, or you can always layer a hooded vest under a 3mil. However - for most Florida diving a 3mil is just fine and a 3mil w/ a hooded vest does it all.

FishFood
12-30-2007, 18:47
The HyperStretch is nice. What price difference are you looking at for the Bare? I believe those are a good sum cheaper. I could be wrong though.

3 mill is plenty.

These new ultra-stretchy wetsuit are good for "thick" people. ;)

Malbec
12-30-2007, 18:52
If I bought the Hyperstretch I'd be wearing it with 1.5mm gloves (don't like thick gloves), a 3mm vest, and yet-to-be-purchased 7mm booties. DH would be vestless, gloveless, and bootie-less :smiley36: I am trying to decide if 3mm is enough since I've read lots that says Hyperstretch is less warm than others.

I haven't priced out BARE vs Henderson just because I am afraid if I do I'll just let price be the mitigating factor.

Malbec
12-30-2007, 19:02
Is the BARE as stretchy as Henderson hyperstretch? Nowhere here to check it out.

jwdizney
12-30-2007, 20:38
I haven't worn a henderson, although I have a NeoSport shorty, but I have a Bare progressive stretch 3mil and comparing it to the Oneil I wore in my OW i have to say it's a LOT easier to don and doff than the oneil. i've tried on the 5/4/3 Mares and didn't like the fit. i wear a rash guard shirt underneath, and really like the fit and ease...

without a doubt, Henderson is a great product and probably my next wetsuit, but the Bare is a great suit for the money!:smiley20:

Damselfish
12-30-2007, 21:01
Since you're going to the keys you might want to shop for wetsuits there, since you say you don't have many places to try them on near home. There is no shortage of dive shops in the keys.

Athena2c
12-30-2007, 22:36
I love Henderson! I find them the easiest and truest fit for me and am loyal to them :smiley20:

CODMAN
12-31-2007, 08:33
The Bare Velocity line uses different thickness in different places (ex: the lower back) to produce maximum flexibility and fit. Mine fits like a glove and I like it a lot. And up here, it was way cheaper than other brands such as Henderson. Also, bare has a zillion sizes (BARE Canada / USA Currency Selection (http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/main_dive.aspx)). If you take your time doing the measurements correctly, you should end up with a good fit. For the price, Bare suits are hard to beat.

Obviously, trying them on is the real test if you can.

Good luck!:smiley20:

ScubaJW
12-31-2007, 09:03
I remember diving in March in the Keys. I get cold quite easily. I wore 3mm full wetsuit at that time, but I did wish that I wore my 5mm full wetsuit. I just rather to be warm than being cold! Either 3mm or 5mm should be fine for you. Can't help you with choices of wetsuits - it is important to try them out and see what fits you good.

Malbec
12-31-2007, 09:31
Wow! So many answers- thanks.

Shopping for a suit in the keys is a great idea- however, we're going to start diving the day after we arrive and that doesn't give us a lot of time to shop! And I don't want to waste any more $ renting suits.

It sounds like the general consensus is "it depends", which makes sense. I thought about getting a hyperstretch 5/3 but then I realized that I don't think they make them so that's probabably out.

ScubaJW- when you were diving in the keys in March do you happen to remember what the temps were? I called the dive shop we're hoping to go with to ask them and they said around 76 for the latter part of April. This makes me worried about the thermocline...

I will keep you guys posted with the resolution of this drama. Thanks for the advice!

CODMAN
12-31-2007, 13:06
Malbec, I was diving the Turks and Caicos (78F) in my 3/2mm Bare, and was fine. But I don't get chilled easily!!!!! If you are the kind of person who gets chilly easily, go for a bit thicker. In the Bare lineup (sorry, I mention the ones I know a bit about, which doesn't mean you need to buy one:smiley20:!), maybe the 5/4mm Velocity? The thinner neoprene over the arms and legs will make it a bit more comfortable vs a full 5mm suit.

In Roatan (85F), I was toasty warm in my 3/2mm. If you are the chilly type, I'd go for a bit warmer.

Good luck!:smiley20:

Wow! So many answers- thanks.

Shopping for a suit in the keys is a great idea- however, we're going to start diving the day after we arrive and that doesn't give us a lot of time to shop! And I don't want to waste any more $ renting suits.

It sounds like the general consensus is "it depends", which makes sense. I thought about getting a hyperstretch 5/3 but then I realized that I don't think they make them so that's probabably out.

ScubaJW- when you were diving in the keys in March do you happen to remember what the temps were? I called the dive shop we're hoping to go with to ask them and they said around 76 for the latter part of April. This makes me worried about the thermocline...

I will keep you guys posted with the resolution of this drama. Thanks for the advice!

skippy11
01-01-2008, 21:52
I have a 3mil Bare Progressive Stretch. It seemed to have more give vs. some of the other brands I tried. And, the price was much cheaper.

Malbec
02-03-2008, 19:21
I want to thank everyone for their good advice!

We ended up going with the following:

DH: Bare Progressive Stretch 3 mil full suite from ST- hasn't arrived yet!
Myself: Henderson Hyperstretch 5 mil from LDS- just got it today. Can't wait to test it out!

jeepbrew
02-25-2008, 10:09
Sounds good. I am sure your husband will be just fine down there, and I would tend to think that you will be on the "toasty" side. I, personally, would wear a 2mm shorty in 76 degree water, but most people think I am crazy. I guess 76 seems really damn warm when compared to the 44 deg bottom temp we get here this time of year.