PDA

View Full Version : IQ700 went wonky..

kancho
12-30-2007, 20:38
Went diving this morning.. Surface temp 33~34F Once I went in the water when the temperature reached 33F on my computer it went wonky,, It wouldn't record the dive at all. Anyone know if that is too cold for it to work or is it defective?

berick
12-31-2007, 10:08
Are you sure the sensors didn't freeze up? I've never dove these in cold water, but, all 3 of my IQ-700s read 2-3 degrees F warmer than my Aeris and other peoples computers in the tropics. While I don't know this extends to the cold temperatures, that would put you below freezing in fresh water. Just a thought.

kancho
12-31-2007, 10:19
Hmm I am not sure if you can have negative temps, it would be ice right.. My Dive buddy also read 1C.. Then his computer was acting strangely as well.. Is there a computer made for cold water diving? Maybe the sensors did freeze or stunned by someone who would go in at that tmeps haha

No Misses
12-31-2007, 11:05
There a few things that can happen to electronics in cold temps.

1. Condensation. If there is any moisure in the case when you submerse it in freezing water, condensation will form. This can short out components in the device.

2. Metal shrinks when cold. Solder joints that are not properly made may pull apart when cold. Contact is usually restored when the temp is increased.

3. The battery works via chemical reaction. If you can get it cold enough, you can halt/slow the chemical reaction. I dont know what the tempurature limits are for your type of battery. You should be able to find the spec on the net.

What computer model are you using?

P.S. my buddy had a wrist watch style sunto. At the end of a day when he dug down deep in the cooler for a beer the DC went belly up. It has not worked since.

kancho
12-31-2007, 11:39
It was logging the dive and then it didn't log it anymore. I will take it to the pool to see if it still logs dive. If it doesn't time for warranty service.. It is a Tusa 343 Console so IQ700 computer. Usually 1 C isn't enough to do anything. My MP3 player still works in -10C weather.