PDA

View Full Version : Zip Seals for Pinnacle Suits

kancho
12-30-2007, 20:44
Anyone know if you can install a zip seal or something of that type on pinnacle drysuits. The dry gloves I have are Scitech and someone told me they suck.. I should get rid of it, if I can. (if came with my suit as a package). ANy thoughts

fireflock
12-30-2007, 21:03
Your question does not make any sense to me. Are you talking about different ring systems? ZipSeals are only available on DUI suits, so you can't get those on a Pinnacle.

Maybe you can try the SiTech system first and see how it works for you?

cummings66
01-02-2008, 18:32
Trust me, the SiTech rings suck. Every buddy I've ever had has had them leak on him. The Viking bayonet rings can be fitted and will never leak on you, odd because they're made by, get this, SiTech.

You don't want the SiTech rings.

CompuDude
01-02-2008, 19:11
The Diving Concepts rings, however, are a great alternative to the SiTeks (or the Vikings). Highly recommended.

Zip Seals are a DUI patent. No one else will have them for another 15 years or so (I think they've been around about 5 years, and patents last what, 20 years?). DUI used to be willing to install them on other company's suits, but they have long since quit playing nice. DUI Zip Seals are now only for DUI suits.

cummings66
01-02-2008, 20:19
To clarify the Viking ring system, there are two types. Pull the glove over the ring, and the other uses a lug bayonet. I promise you, you will rip the arm off the suit before you pull a glove from it using the bayonet, and if you're the insecure type you can pin the thing together, there's a place to physically lock them.

It was used for diving in things where you can not risk having even a drop of fluid enter the suit, and it's reliable. They will not leak, nor can they come off.

Matt P
01-03-2008, 05:09
Does anyone at your LDS know how to modify dry suits? I know at mine they're always ripping them apart, modifying & reattaching. Perhaps you have someone in your area that can do it as a custom job. The wrist seals would probably be reasonably easy for some with the right skill set. the neck seal may be a different story

cummings66
01-03-2008, 11:35
I think the problem is DUI won't sell the part you need on the drysuit to the public, not that you couldn't do it. It's that you can't get the part you need to do it.

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 13:24
I think the problem is DUI won't sell the part you need on the drysuit to the public, not that you couldn't do it. It's that you can't get the part you need to do it.

Correct.

I've heard tell of some people buying trashed DUI suits from eBay/Craigslist for cheap, just so they could cut out the suit-side part of the zip seals. Then, if you know how to replace a seal, you can attach them yourself to whatever suit you want, and buy regular zipseal replacements as usual.

Pretty expensive/and/or risky way to do it, however. I suspect with the total amount needed to go that route (if starting from scratch) it would probably be cheaper, and certainly easier, to simply buy a DUI suit to begin with.

kancho
01-07-2008, 21:02
I just attached my scitech dry gloves. I was reluctant since my LDS it wasn't good but I installed it. It works perfectly. No leaks and no mess. I guess he was trying to sell me the 180 dollar ones..