PDA

View Full Version : Maui trip report (longish)

Zenagirl
12-31-2007, 09:14
I had intended to post just about everyday about our trip, but the internet connection at our resort was spotty, so I wasn't able to.

Suffice it to say we had a great time! We dove everyday and definitely had some great experiences with lots of different critters. We dove with Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures (ERDA) 5 days, did 1 shore dive, and dove with Lahaina Divers (LD) for one charter.

The LD charter was to the Carthaginian wreck and Mala Wharf (also a wreck), and although we found the Carthaginian to be rather dull (not much to see), we always enjoy Mala so didn't complain. ;) We were pleased that LD didn't lead the dives this time, but instead gave us a "back on board" time for Mala. That gave us the freedom to really explore the pilings and find lots of Nudibranchs and a fairly large White Tip Shark....among other critters. Because Mala is a shallow dive (30' or so), we were back on board the boat with over 1100psi even after a 50 minute dive.

ERDA always delivers for us, so we were pleased each day diving with them. We were treated to sharks, Eagle Rays, lots of turtles, a Devil Scorpionfish, many nudibranchs, quite a few FrogFish, Leaf Scorpionfish, Hawaiian Green Lionfish, whale song, etc., etc., etc. We basically dove sites at Molokini Crater and S. Maui. We never did the backwall as the ocean wasn't cooperative, but did make the (rough) crossing to Lanai one day.

Although we've dove the Cathedrals of Lanai before, we had never been in them when they were silted out by other divers. This time we were first in the water, and everyone in our dive group had great buoyancy control, so no silting happened. It was the first time we saw the huge black coral at Second Cathedral, and wow, what a sight!!

ERDA has discontinued the Lanai run, and frankly we totally saw why. Our crossing was with average ocean conditions and it was a miserable trip. Heck, they handed out raincoats since we were getting wet! We quickly decided that any future Lanai charter would be done with LD and their big 46' Newton dive boats. Anything smaller just wasn't on our radar for that crossing anymore.

The weather was very nice all week, with partly sunny skies and temperatures around 85 each day. Water temperatures seemed a little colder than normal, around 74 degrees. Brr... Mid-week I wound up wearing my 3mm vest with my 5mm full suit, and by the end of the week found myself getting chilled at the end of the second dive. Next year I'll start with my vest so my core doesn't have any chance to drop so early. My husband wore his 3mm full with his 3mm vest, and was chilly almost from the start. His 3mm is more like a microprene now, after nearly 150 dives on it, so we'll be buying him a new 5mm full for next year. He can use his 3mm for summer Caribbean diving when all you really need is a skin anyway. ;)

Oh yeah, and my husband was finally about to dive his new Zeagle Ranger LTD and absolutely loved it. He was thrilled with its performance and the huge difference he felt between it and his old Seaquest BC.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about our trip or Maui in general. I'll be working on labeling and editing photos all week, and will post a link to them as soon as I have them uploaded.

Jay_SMART_Diver
12-31-2007, 09:21
Cool report thanks for posting, look forward to the pictures!!

hychang
12-31-2007, 11:31
Thank you for your report. I'm also looking forward to seeing your trip pics!! Have a Happy New Year!!:smiley20:

FailedExistence
04-22-2008, 11:50
Thanks for the report ... my wife and I are traveling to Maui this summer and so this really helped with dive sites and companies to look into.

CompuDude
04-22-2008, 13:13
Great! What nudis did you see?

PhD4JC
04-17-2009, 12:07
Maui next month...
and counting down ;-)