PDA

View Full Version : Pedometer? (I believe its called)

easyrider003
12-31-2007, 10:30
Just wondering if anyone has ever used a pedometer? Its used to wear on your belt and measures how far you have walked. Just wondering if anyone has ever used and and how accurate are they?

snagel
12-31-2007, 10:44
I think the basic concept is good. These were very popular a few years back. Even McDonalds was promoting this. Here are my thoughts. It's based on the value that walking so many steps equates to burning calories. I can't remember exactly how many steps equal how many calories. But, those that have used them have told me that it depends on where on the belt the device is attached. Here is my thought. Walking is good, so if this gets you out walking it's a good thing. It's kinda cool to see how many steps you have taken and if this motivates you to walk go for it. I'm not an expert here, but in my opinion, there is a factor of getting your heart beat up. The higher your heart rate is the more calories you are burning. So, if you take 5,000 steps in a day walking around the office on short strolls; I don't think is the same as taking 5,000 steps walking around a track where your heart rate is higher.

Have I used one - no. But, everybody in my office was about 2 years ago. They stopped after about a week.

Are they accurate? I think it depends on where they are placed on the belt. Have to measure the hip bounce.

Are they accurate as far as burning calories? Depends, IMHO, if you are also getting your heart rate up.

Bottom line, if this motivates you to walk - great.

S. Nagel

navyhmc
12-31-2007, 10:50
They can be fairly accurate on flat ground. That is as long as you have you stride entered correctly. When you get to uneven ground or stairs, it is not as accurate. I've used one a few times, on city walks, it was fine. When i got to trails and wilderness, not quite as good. It was usually a few miles ahead by the time I was done.

Mtrewyn
12-31-2007, 11:04
I think for general use they would be better than trying to count your steps on your own, but for figuring distance...I would not bet on them.

snagel
12-31-2007, 11:12
I think I missed the question of the original poster. I was thinking accurate in terms of burning calories (obviously). If you are trying to measure distance, no I don't think they are very accurate.

S. Nagel

Kingpatzer
12-31-2007, 11:23
The better pedometers, when used properly, are accurate to within 50 steps for every 1000 steps walked -- that is, they have roughly a 5% error rate.

They are not accurate for measuring either linear distance or caloric burn in most cases. Indeed, most devices for measuring caloric burn are not accurate at all. The most obvious example being the silly calorie counters on gym bikes and treadmills, which are notoriously inaccurate. Pedometers can be used for measuring distance if you know your average stride and you're walking at a normal pace on flat, even terrain. In such limited cases, you can obtain a good approximation of distance. However, add even a small grade, and all bets are off!

However, that's not their point. The point of pedometers is to motivate one to move and walk. Movement has health benefits beyond mere weight loss. Now, should you also happen to lose weight while walking, and you're consuming a balanced, healthy diet, great. But that's not the purpose of a pedometer.

It does exactly what it says it does -- it meters steps.

torrey
01-07-2008, 11:53
Something my wife got for Christmas (and hasn't used yet) is an ipod module that you can put in your shoe that's supposed to communicate with your ipod nano to give you your walking/running stats. Nike makes certain shoes called Nike + that have a place under the insole to put the thing, but I think you can use it with any shoe if you find another way. It's supposed to be able to keep up with distance, speed, calories burned, etc. and has a voice that comes over your music telling you whatever you want to know.

BuzzGA
01-07-2008, 20:16
Let us know how the iPod shoe thing works. I've seen them in the store and been intrigued but have wondered how well they really work.

Jaymeany
01-07-2008, 20:31
I love mine. I've used all the different models and thats the one I use now. I used the Nike Elite DM/HRM when I was running pro/semi pro and loved in for serious running. Ipod sync is nice for casual running.

Airborne!
01-08-2008, 01:44
Try a small GPS if you can afford it and are not too technically challenged. You can get the small hand held non-map models for under $100 and they are very accurate. Stick it in your fanny/back pouch and off you go.

torrey
01-08-2008, 08:30
Let us know how the iPod shoe thing works. I've seen them in the store and been intrigued but have wondered how well they really work.

Here's a link (http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/) to the Nike + site. It has video on how it works. Seems pretty neat...my wife will be using it tonight when we go walking.

kancho
01-08-2008, 08:59
I would rather time my self instead of measuring how many steps i have taken. The pedometer counts the number of times it has been moved up and down. Some of the cheaper ones aren't too accurate. I had one. Also Our steps are necessarily the same distance each time. Pick 2 landmarks and walk it and measure the time. Nothing to buy and enjoy the walk

Mr Momz
01-08-2008, 09:06
I love my Nike + with the I Pod Nano it is a lot of fun to see how many miles you have gone. It keeps track of all your activity online. You can use the Nike plus sensor on any shoe, with the help of a lace lid it is a small plastic device that laces in your shoe and holds the sensor.

beperkins
10-16-2008, 13:08
I do not think they would be very accurate in measuring distance, but they are still fun to wear all day and see how many steps you have taken- it is usually pretty amazing. The human body is an extraordinary piece of equipment.