PDA

View Full Version : Next two weeks in Australia?

JugglingMonkeys
12-31-2007, 16:03
Hey, I'm in Oz right now - at the lower end of the GBR.

But the weather is bad. Gale force winds, etc. etc.

I was hoping to do Yongala but probably can't now.

Is there anywhere in Oz, where the diving is good over the next 2 weeks?
Anywhere?

Thanks

texdiveguy
12-31-2007, 17:23
Maybe you can get some info. from this web site...???

www.diveoz.com.au - The Biggest Site for Australian Scuba Diving Info (http://www.diveoz.com.au/)

Aussie
01-03-2008, 02:36
Hey, I'm in Oz right now - at the lower end of the GBR.

But the weather is bad. Gale force winds, etc. etc.

I was hoping to do Yongala but probably can't now.

Is there anywhere in Oz, where the diving is good over the next 2 weeks?
Anywhere?

Thanks

Gale force winds to reduce by Sunday the 6th as well as the 4-6m swell hitting most of the East coast. Sun Dive (Dive Australia Scuba Diving with Sun Dive Byron Bay (http://www.sundive.com.au)) at Byron Bay (Northern NSW, 2 hours south of Brsibane) got out today for a dive in the huge swell. The report from them was 25m Vis and 24c water temp. Diving should be back on early next week and it should be great. The huge E and SE winds bring in warm clear water from the EAC (Eastern Australian Current).

Aussie

JugglingMonkeys
01-03-2008, 04:07
Sadly I leave here on Saturday. Basically got no diving in all week. :smiley21:

Back to Brisbane.

You think Brisbane area will be ok next week, then?

I might try Bryon Bay OR the HMAS Brisbane off Mooloolaba...

Thanks mate!

Aussie
01-03-2008, 04:55
Sadly I leave here on Saturday. Basically got no diving in all week. :smiley21:

Back to Brisbane.

You think Brisbane area will be ok next week, then?

I might try Bryon Bay OR the HMAS Brisbane off Mooloolaba...

Thanks mate!

It looks like the forecast is going to be good for next week (monday on). The whole east coast has been out of action for the whole week.

I did the ex Hmas Brisbane 2-3 weeks ago (some pics of the wreck in the forum wreck section). I can wait till I can dive again at Byron Bay (my home dive site) as it should be warm and clear and hopefully some leopard sharks about. Just need the wind to die down.

All the best

Aussie

OTGav
01-04-2008, 00:54
Am in Brissy - all looks OK for next weekend at the moment.

Aussie
01-05-2008, 06:17
I heard that the Vis at Byron has dropped with all the rain and flooding in the area. We had alot of rain. Wind has dropped and hopefully the seas will drop over the next couple of days. Fingers crossed that diving should be good by the end of the week.

Aussie

JugglingMonkeys
01-05-2008, 14:19
Sun Dive's site says vis was 5-8m yesteray, saturday.
you think it will get worse?

i was thinking of heading to byron bay tomorrow, monday - but may not...

thanks

OTGav
01-06-2008, 01:55
Rain has been pouring down this weekend in South QLD and North NSW - it's all run off round here at the moment.

For the next couple of days I wouldn't aim for anywhere other than tyhe pub - should be cleaned up by the weekend though.

Aussie
01-06-2008, 04:24
Sun Dive's site says vis was 5-8m yesteray, saturday.
you think it will get worse?

i was thinking of heading to byron bay tomorrow, monday - but may not...

thanks

Had some friends dive today at Julian Rocks which is Byron Bays major site. They said that there was green dirty water on the top but clear warm water at the bottom. I had a look at Sundives condition report and they said the same thing but with 25m vis on the bottom. Friends say it was more like 10-12m. I am getting a dive in tuesday and wednesday hopefully this week.
Hopefully leopard sharks are around too.

Good Luck,

Aussie

OTGav
01-06-2008, 22:56
If your not back in Bris already - or even if you are - you should have a think about Wolf Rock, just above Noosa, so on your trip down from the GBR - is very nice.

Also Bargra is on the way down too - just by Bundy - nice wreck/reef to play on.

Oh yeah, and I'll say it again - Morton Bay is likely to be great by the weekend.

JugglingMonkeys
01-07-2008, 02:11
Yes back in Brisbane now.
Lined up to dive the HMAS Brisbane tomorrow!
I trust the weather cooperates.

What do you recommend for Moreton Bay?
Which operators and locations?

thanks!

Aussie
01-07-2008, 05:26
Yes back in Brisbane now.
Lined up to dive the HMAS Brisbane tomorrow!
I trust the weather cooperates.

What do you recommend for Moreton Bay?
Which operators and locations?

thanks!

I am diving Byron all week and there are leopard sharks around. Been told the vis is about 20m which is great after all the rain and flooding we have had.

Hope you get a good dive on the HMAS Brisbane.

Aussie

OTGav
01-07-2008, 06:39
Depends how long you have - a weekend on Big Cat Reality is fun.

Morton bay has Pro Dive, Deep, Nautilus, Always, Blue Zone - all pretty good, Blue Zone is probably booked already, Deep is good for Big Cat trips, nautilus is good for interesting one dayers - and Pro Dive is a nice silver service option if that's your bag.

Or head out to stradbroke island and go with Manta Lodge - lots of good stuff in the shallow around Straddy, wobby, leapord, bamboo sharks + asoted other stuff ldepending on season, trying to remember if the manta will be there yet.

For a one dayer I'd go Nautilus as they tend to go out to the less visited stuff (henderson's rock is a big Yay if you can get to it - Gray Nurse fun), but as you're not local nothing will be too familiar, so just check who has what spaces free.

Wolf Rock is at Rainbow beach - a good whack from the city - but like Julian Rocks, you won't be disapointed.

Auscuba
01-07-2008, 21:31
I'm going diving up in Cairns in about 3 weeks, is this weather going to sort itself out or am I going to be diving in between tropical cyclones (AGAIN! - our Cairns trip in 2006 was.. rough seas :smiley11::smiley36:)

Can anyone shed any light on this weather we're having here in Eastern Australia?! This is not summer! :smiley5:

OTGav
01-08-2008, 01:28
Unfortunately it is - Summer in our lovely tropical North is also known as the Wet Season.

Should really be known as the "too bloody hot and wet season" - humidity is through the roof at the moment.

JugglingMonkeys
01-08-2008, 03:53
I did 2 dives on the HMAS Brisbane today.
Vis was not great - about 2 metres.
Not many fish.
And the seas were choppy in the boat. :smiley11:

But the second dive was roaming around inside - that was great!
And it was great to be diving again.
:smiley20:

JugglingMonkeys
01-08-2008, 04:46
Depends how long you have - a weekend on Big Cat Reality is fun.

Morton bay has Pro Dive, Deep, Nautilus, Always, Blue Zone - all pretty good, Blue Zone is probably booked already, Deep is good for Big Cat trips, nautilus is good for interesting one dayers - and Pro Dive is a nice silver service option if that's your bag.

Or head out to stradbroke island and go with Manta Lodge - lots of good stuff in the shallow around Straddy, wobby, leapord, bamboo sharks + asoted other stuff ldepending on season, trying to remember if the manta will be there yet.

For a one dayer I'd go Nautilus as they tend to go out to the less visited stuff (henderson's rock is a big Yay if you can get to it - Gray Nurse fun), but as you're not local nothing will be too familiar, so just check who has what spaces free.

Wolf Rock is at Rainbow beach - a good whack from the city - but like Julian Rocks, you won't be disapointed.

Thanks mate! great stuff

I'm pretty much limited to one dayers - so you'd recommend Nautilus as the best?

OTGav
01-08-2008, 17:38
Nautilus often go to interesting sites, but I would recomend giving a few of them a ring and asking what they have planned.

Good sites to visit in the bay, right near Brisbane:-

Henderson's Rock / Cherubs cave - top notch, Gray Nurse habitat, a long trip on the boat though, so less visitied.

Gotham - deepish @ 30-40m, a bit open so prone to being too choppy, often good palegics.

Flinders "outside horse shoe" - mostly shallow @ 6-20m, very resistant to bad conditions. Reef is as good as much of GBR, life outstanding - how many turtles did you want to see? People get bored of it as they dive there so much on OW and Adv, but they are fools, it can stand up to 50 dives easily - especialy if a night dive is available.

Inside the horse shoe - very prone to bad conditions but is amazing if water is flat, life and rock/reef just incredible. Few end up going there as it's a bit more difficult for the bigger boats, and some of the experienced guys turn their nose up and stop listening when they hear "Flinders".

Stradbroke - Flat Rock, Shag Rock, Manta Bommie etc. All well worth a visit, viz often less than perfect but made up for by insane seasonal life. Humpbacks, dolphin, manta, eagle rays, turtles, wobby, bamboo, lepard sharks.

Try a few one dayers in the bay, it's the East coast's 2nd best kept secret. Wolf rock being the one we don't tell anyone about ;o)

OTGav
01-09-2008, 06:51
The way things are looking this weekend might be a write off around Brisbane - I guess we could get lucky and it clears, but 20-30 on the predicted winds is not good for the bay.

Reg
01-10-2008, 07:07
If you can hire a car, I'd do a day trip down to Byron..

Aussie
01-12-2008, 05:28
I dived the with Chris from Dive Quest Mullaway yesterday. Dive Quest (http://www.divequest.com.au/)
Mullaway is about 2 half hours south of Byron Bay on the way to Coffs Harbour.

40m Vis is what we got. Not as much life as Byron but the water was 25c and gin clear.

Byron still has good vis. Its strange tho. The top 5m is a brown 2-3m muck and once your below it goes to 12-15m vis. Heaps of life and Leopard Sharks, Mantas, and lots of cool stuff.

The boat ride is only 10 minutes from the shore. So you dont get sea sick as much.

Aussie

JugglingMonkeys
01-14-2008, 19:40
Thanks mate

I'm heading down to Byron Bay tomorrow, Wed. - do a couple dives with SunDive.

Hoping for the best regarding the weather and viz!

Reg
01-15-2008, 03:29
Aussie, thanks for sharing. 40m Viz, thats excellent..I need to look this place up.

Aussie
01-15-2008, 06:33
Aussie, thanks for sharing. 40m Viz, thats excellent..I need to look this place up.

No worries. After all this rain and floods on the east coast everyone needs a heads up of somewhere great to dive.

I spoke to guy last friday when I was diving the Solitarys and he said he got great vis at South West Rocks (South West Rocks Dive Centre (http://www.southwestrocksdive.com.au/)).

The lads there are really nice blokes and they have cheap accomodation upstairs too.

My Grey Nurse shots in my gallery are taken at Fish Rock Cave off SWR.

Aussie

Anne Eastwell
01-15-2008, 14:54
Sydney weather is fantastic at the moment. All the huge sea swells due to the cyclone in Qld have dropped off, so anywhere in Sydney would be good to dive.

The guys I dive with are Pro Dive, Manly (north side of the city). They run boat dives every weekend.

Aussie
01-16-2008, 05:59
It was nice meeting you Jugglingmonkeys. Sorry to hear that the conditions you recieved were bad. Its still the old story you should have been here last week.

Regards Aussie

JugglingMonkeys
01-16-2008, 08:25
The second dive was pretty good.
Less surge and a little more viz.

Great to meet you, mate!

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
01-16-2008, 08:29
The second dive was pretty good.
Less surge and a little more viz.

Great to meet you, mate!

Hey M-

You'll owe us all a dive report when you get back!!

JugglingMonkeys
01-16-2008, 21:40
The "formerly" 45 year old newbie?
does that mean you're getting older??
:smiley36:

hey, the diving at Bryon Bay was ok - the conditions were lousy.
but i could certainly tell how good it WOULD BE - at the right time.

we need to try to find that wreck in lake michigan again sometime!

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
01-16-2008, 21:54
The "formerly" 45 year old newbie?
does that mean you're getting older??
:smiley36:

hey, the diving at Bryon Bay was ok - the conditions were lousy.
but i could certainly tell how good it WOULD BE - at the right time.

we need to try to find that wreck in lake michigan again sometime!

Planning on it. I will have a proper GPS, so all we need is some warmer weather!!

Travelnsj
01-22-2008, 19:59
Sorry I came in on this thread a little late. One of my favorite spots is north of Brisbane. I would suggest go up to Gladstone head out to Heron Island....Good to a few Excellent dives...the Island is one of the most beautiful spots I've seen anywhere.

Krakenn
01-24-2008, 03:42
Well lads Im off to Broome for a new Job in Western Australia.

So ill be a little quiet for a while if any of you are in the area drop me an email.

Kraks