PDA

View Full Version : PADI 5 Star

CPTOZZY
12-31-2007, 16:41
What does "PADI 5 Star" Actually mean??
What does a facility need to do to qualify? I've never seen a PADI 4 Star Facility.........is it just a marketing ploy?

Thanks

NitroWill
12-31-2007, 16:51
PADI 5 Star Dive Centers (http://www.padi.com/english/common/irra/fivestar.asp)

I'll be good and won't comment on PADI.. :)

CPTOZZY
12-31-2007, 17:01

So the DiveCenter Pays PADI and puts up the sign??? ....... Kinda like "Worlds best Cup of Coffee Here"

in_cavediver
01-01-2008, 09:48

So the DiveCenter Pays PADI and puts up the sign??? ....... Kinda like "Worlds best Cup of Coffee Here"

And agrees not to sell a competing product to boot.....

wheelman
01-01-2008, 11:56
Surely there has to be more to it then just paying a membership.

cummings66
01-02-2008, 19:01
Didn't you people read the padi page? It says nothing like what you guys posted above. I know from talking to some Padi 5 star dive shops that they are better than the average shop, and they didn't pay to get the name and rating.

A dive shop who's turning out Darwin award candidates isn't going to get the 5 star award is what I'm saying.

CompuDude
01-02-2008, 19:14
There are two basic kinds of shops: Shops that teach PADI, and shops that teach the ENTIRE spectrum of PADI. The latter shops get the 5 star rating. The former do not. There is no one, two, three or four star rating.

cummings66
01-02-2008, 20:14
As far as I know that applies to everything else to. Ever see a 2 star Chrysler dealership?

Soonerwink
01-02-2008, 20:34
There is a PADI 5 star dive center, 5 star insructor developement center, 5 star resort center, National Geographic center, Gold palm center. That is just a few I remember seeing. I think the rating is dependent on what instruction the center offers.

Tom A
01-02-2008, 20:36
is padi taking over the diving world

BuzzGA
01-02-2008, 21:34

Resistance is futile. You Will Be Assimilated

mike_s
01-03-2008, 10:50
Surely there has to be more to it then just paying a membership.

well it's mostly just paying more to add the 5 star to thier name.

They do have a few requirements. Like you have to teach the full spectrum of PADI courses and several speciality courses.

The shop also has to agree to be a "PADI Only" shop. Meaning they can't teach NAUI, SDI/TDI, etc there.

But what it boils down to is that the shop can teach these PADI courses without being a 5 star shop and it's just a marketing ploy by PADI to make it seem like a higher level shop that only teaches PADI.

A shop being PADI 5 star doesn't make it better than any other shop. Or does it mean you'll get better instruction.

Remember what PADI stand for. Put Another Dollar In.

Also remember that it's the instructor and the knowledge they can transfer/teach that makes the class worthwhile, not the agencies or gold palms or stars.

in_cavediver
01-03-2008, 11:30
Didn't you people read the padi page? It says nothing like what you guys posted above. I know from talking to some Padi 5 star dive shops that they are better than the average shop, and they didn't pay to get the name and rating.

A dive shop who's turning out Darwin award candidates isn't going to get the 5 star award is what I'm saying.

As has been mentioned before, 5 star means is PADI only. IE you can't do PADI OW, nitrox and offer IANTD or NAUI OW and nitrox. IANTD Cave is OK though since there is not a current PADI equivalent course. It has no bearing on qaulity of the instruction, only what's offered.

I'd offer it may be a indicator of potentially lower quality advanced training as I personally believe some agencies classes offer more than others. For instance the NAUI master diver is quite different than the PADI master diver class but in a 5 star shop, you can get only the PADI class. 5 stars means its the PADI way only.

Still, in the end, its the instructor who actually teaches the class that determines its quality.

Kingpatzer
01-03-2008, 12:17

No more than McDonald's is taking over the restaurant world.

A PADI shop can be excellent at what they do, turning out the best recreational, non-technical divers in an area, but they're hardly all that the diving world offers, and they never will be.

mike_s
01-03-2008, 14:12

A PADI shop can be excellent at what they do, turning out the best recreational, non-technical divers in an area, but they're hardly all that the diving world offers, and they never will be.

Just because it's PADI doesn't make it the best at recreational diving instruction. (Nor does if it's NAUI, YMCA, etc.)

terrillja
01-03-2008, 14:54
Interesting that it has to be PADI only, since one of the shops near me is a 5 star IDC center, and also teaches TDI courses.

Kingpatzer
01-03-2008, 15:44

Just because it's PADI doesn't make it the best at recreational diving instruction. (Nor does if it's NAUI, YMCA, etc.)

I didn't say it did. I said "can be excellent" not "will be excellent."

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 16:11
Interesting that it has to be PADI only, since one of the shops near me is a 5 star IDC center, and also teaches TDI courses.

TDI courses are tech courses, so there's not necessarily an overlap with PADI's recreational offerings. If they're teaching SDI open water courses, however, PADI is come come after them big time if they find out.

terrillja
01-03-2008, 16:21

TDI courses are tech courses, so there's not necessarily an overlap with PADI's recreational offerings. If they're teaching SDI open water courses, however, PADI is come come after them big time if they find out.

True, although PADI is now starting to push the DSAT TecRec courses, from what I have heard, so it may be a matter of time until they force that on shops as well.

DSAT:
DSAT TecRec Courses (http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/tecrec/Default.aspx)

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 17:00

True, although PADI is now starting to push the DSAT TecRec courses, from what I have heard, so it may be a matter of time until they force that on shops as well.

DSAT:
DSAT TecRec Courses (http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/tecrec/Default.aspx)

Yes, I'm well aware of the DSAT offerings (such as they are), but at the moment, I think it's outside the scope of the discussion.

We can only hope it doesn't go there. Not that it would affect me. I could care less if a shop has the 5-star rating or not, since I know the marketing reasons for and against it.

aggie99
01-03-2008, 17:05

I was talking with a dive operator in the Bahamas and he was saying that PADI are going to change their OW certification so that you take the exam portion online prior to going to the pool classes. His concern is that these people will have paid the fees and taken the exam before he ever meets them. If he feels in any way that they aren't physically or mentally able to dive he is going to have some really p.o. customers! He has turned people away before because he wasn't compfortable certifying them in their condition but at least they hadn't taken the exam!

mike_s
01-03-2008, 17:16
[quote=aggie99;114849he was saying that PADI are going to change their OW certification so that you take the exam portion online prior to going to the pool classes.

[/quote]

what's to keep a friend from taking the exam for the student online this way also?

aggie99
01-03-2008, 17:20
he was saying that PADI are going to change their OW certification so that you take the exam portion online prior to going to the pool classes.

what's to keep a friend from taking the exam for the student online this way also?

Nothing at all!

Puffer Fish
01-03-2008, 17:54
he was saying that PADI are going to change their OW certification so that you take the exam portion online prior to going to the pool classes.

Nothing at all!
For a small fee, I would be happy to take the test of anyone...all I need is some small, but important amount of cash and to know how many questions you want right, and I think I know several people that would be happy (for the right amount of money) to stand in for the pool work...making the perfect cyber diver certificaition...all that is then needed is a computer game where they can get their initial "dives" in.

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 18:05

I was talking with a dive operator in the Bahamas and he was saying that PADI are going to change their OW certification so that you take the exam portion online prior to going to the pool classes. His concern is that these people will have paid the fees and taken the exam before he ever meets them. If he feels in any way that they aren't physically or mentally able to dive he is going to have some really p.o. customers! He has turned people away before because he wasn't compfortable certifying them in their condition but at least they hadn't taken the exam!

PADI offers online courses now, but does not make them mandatory. They have a silly pricing structure, too. I can't see the incentive. (And frankly, the online course is lousy, per the instructors I've spoken to who have seen it. They greatly preferred SDI's online course. And I was pretty unimpressed with SDI's online course. So I shudder to think about PADI's.)

kancho
01-08-2008, 22:43
You know I see many LDS saying they are Naui instructor cert. though it is mainly a PADI shop. I am sure if you want to learn the NAUI way they would teach you.

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 23:24
You know I see many LDS saying they are Naui instructor cert. though it is mainly a PADI shop. I am sure if you want to learn the NAUI way they would teach you.

There is little difference at the open water level. It's more about how good the instructor is than the sequence in which they teach the same skills to you.