PDA

View Full Version : Bare HD Tech Boots ?

Shellback
01-01-2008, 09:55
First time drysuit diver and ordered a Bare HD Tech suit that needs to have the Boot changed out due to size. SInce it needs to be done I am on the fence as to go with the standard attached boot or with the Tek Boot system any opinions on which works better overall ?

mainly my concern is the ease of fin kicks and the durability issue

Dives will most like be split 50/50 between boat and shore with most shore entries being on sandy beach (not many rocks)

CompuDude
01-02-2008, 01:51
Ease of fin kicks is fairly irrelevant, although you may have more (or less) flexibility in the ankles, depending on the exact attached boot or shoe you go with.

Durability also has the most to with the precise combination in question... there are many.

Attached boots are certainly the most convenient, as there is less to do once you put on your suit, but a hole in your boot (which does not have the benefit of an extra layer in terms of wear damage, either) is a hole in your entire suit, and more importantly, since they must be large enough to slide your foot all the way in, they tend to be bigger than other designs and thus trap more air, which is the nemesis of drysuit divers, so there is definitely a tradeoff to the convenience.

If you're not doing many rocky beach entries, one fairly popular method is to use the soft drysuit socks and ordinary wetsuit booties instead of heavy (and large) rock boots. Then you could use rock boots (or even Converse) for those rare rocky beach entries... your choice.

In the end, it's your choice. As a new drysuit diver, frankly, it's going to be hard to make a real educated choice in the matter, and since both are definitely viable options, it all boils down to personal choice. You can make either work, is the good news, so it's hard to make an enormous mistake here. Best you can do is read some opinions and try to decide which your preference might be, and go with it. You can always change your mind again down the road, if you decide you really hate it, and it's only some money to go the other way.

Personally, I started with attached boots in my first drysuit (USIA), and as much as I liked the simplicity, the same style was not an option with my new DUI (and I didn't like the lack of ankle support turbo soles offered), so I went with attached socks plus rock boots to accommodate the rocky entries we deal with on occasion here. I recently added booties to the mix, and now plan to only use rock boots when needed.

Good luck!

MSilvia
01-02-2008, 07:26
I started out with too-large attached vulcanized boots on my Bare drysuit, and swapped out for neoprene socks which I wear Converse All-Stars over. I'm pretty happy with that arrangement.

Shellback
01-02-2008, 07:29
Ease of fin kicks is fairly irrelevant, although you may have more (or less) flexibility in the ankles, depending on the exact attached boot or shoe you go with.

Durability also has the most to with the precise combination in question... there are many.

Attached boots are certainly the most convenient, as there is less to do once you put on your suit, but a hole in your boot (which does not have the benefit of an extra layer in terms of wear damage, either) is a hole in your entire suit, and more importantly, since they must be large enough to slide your foot all the way in, they tend to be bigger than other designs and thus trap more air, which is the nemesis of drysuit divers, so there is definitely a tradeoff to the convenience.

If you're not doing many rocky beach entries, one fairly popular method is to use the soft drysuit socks and ordinary wetsuit booties instead of heavy (and large) rock boots. Then you could use rock boots (or even Converse) for those rare rocky beach entries... your choice.

In the end, it's your choice. As a new drysuit diver, frankly, it's going to be hard to make a real educated choice in the matter, and since both are definitely viable options, it all boils down to personal choice. You can make either work, is the good news, so it's hard to make an enormous mistake here. Best you can do is read some opinions and try to decide which your preference might be, and go with it. You can always change your mind again down the road, if you decide you really hate it, and it's only some money to go the other way.

Personally, I started with attached boots in my first drysuit (USIA), and as much as I liked the simplicity, the same style was not an option with my new DUI (and I didn't like the lack of ankle support turbo soles offered), so I went with attached socks plus rock boots to accommodate the rocky entries we deal with on occasion here. I recently added booties to the mix, and now plan to only use rock boots when needed.

Good luck!
CompuDude, thanks for the advice. I had sort of figured that the attached boots may hinder the ankle movement but never really gave much thought to getting a hole in the boot and having the extra durability with the Rock/Trek boot route. My goal for this year is to do more boat dives though and try to get away from all that beach stuff.

Only money though like you said if a change needs to be done, isn't that the truth, LOL.

terrillja
01-09-2008, 12:13
I have a BARE suit as well, and I have the neoprene socks and trek boots. I decided to go with the trek boots since they are fairly inexpensive versus having the integrated boots replaced once the sole wears out. Don't really have any complaints about them except that the previous year's model had a more rugged outsole, which I would like.

Any of you here who have dived cathedral rocks, cape ann, MA can agree that the rocks are quite slippery, where a more rugged outsole would be nice.

MSilvia
01-09-2008, 14:09
Any of you here who have dived cathedral rocks, cape ann, MA can agree that the rocks are quite slippery, where a more rugged outsole would be nice.
I do like a rugged outsole, and I've found my Chucks to be adequate for diving Cathedral. That's a chunky shore entry if there ever was one.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/150206913_1ca0abd9d5.jpg

terrillja
01-09-2008, 14:46
I do like a rugged outsole, and I've found my Chucks to be adequate for diving Cathedral. That's a chunky shore entry if there ever was one.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/150206913_1ca0abd9d5.jpg
Even more fun at low tide.

rab
06-04-2008, 16:39
I'm looking for new fins now, too. I have sz 12 feet and Bare soft boots on my new Bare Trilam HD suit. My Ares Velocity L/XL fins are just too small and the Mares XL that I've borrows from the store/instructor for the OW dives on Saturday fit a bit loose. (Of course, the rubber heel strap when I'm used to springs is yet another thing to deal with.)

-Rob