PDA

View Full Version : Ok shaving question

BuzzF117
01-01-2008, 20:36
Ok this isn't what you may think. I have a problem that when I shave and go into salt water I get an irritation or stinging sensation. I am asking for help here because I figure the ladies have more shaved skin surface i.e. legs so what do you do stop the stinging. I have tried not shaving on the days I am in the ocean but that doesn't always work. The stinging is on my neck and chin area.

Little help please
Buzz

Queen
01-01-2008, 20:56
I've never felt a stinging sensation after shaving my legs and going into salt water, I think it may be a face and neck thing. BTW - putting a razor near my face every morning would result in much scarring and ER visits. :D

Navy OnStar
01-01-2008, 21:01
I use a braun electric (one of the ones with 2 shaving bars) and don't have any problems with stinging.

DollFin
01-01-2008, 21:10
Salt water can irritate freshly shaved skin on ANY part of the body. Try using moisturizer on your skin right after you shave. Do NOT use any after shave or product containing alcohol as that would increase irritation.

bperrybap
01-01-2008, 22:34
Sounds like a case of razor burn. I have to shave my face every morning
before diving to keep my mask from leaking.
The key for me to avoiding razor burn is a good razor and a gel shaving creme.
I use Edge for sensitive skin, (orange cap) and Schick Extreme III or
Gillette GoodNews Plus (non swivel) razors.
I also soak my face with a hot wash cloth prior to shaving.

If I try to use the cheaper dual blade disposables or a cheap foam cream,
or skip the hot wash cloth step,
I get razor burn. Usually it is mild but it will burn when diving.

While I do normally use moisturizer every morning after shaving,
I do not do this when diving. It gets in the mask and burns my eyes.
I'll use it night if my skin is feeling dry.

--- bill

ScubaJenn81
01-02-2008, 15:57
I agree with the moisturizer. If you shave in the morning and then put on some lotion, it will all absorb by the time you get in the water and it stops the burn.

comet24
01-02-2008, 16:42
I get the same thing sometime. Mostly on my neck. Solutions are to shave less when on vacation. Shave just before bed and use a good aftershave without alcohol. Shaving in the morning an hour or so before a dive is the worst.

dallasdivergirl
01-02-2008, 17:02
I would say use a heavy duty sensative skin gel & a good sharp blade (I always carry extra on vacation since I will be in a swimsuit every day & shaving a lot).

I used to get the burning sensation but since I have changed my cheap razor ways I haven't had a problem :)

Goober
01-02-2008, 17:13
Ok this isn't what you may think. I have a problem that when I shave and go into salt water I get an irritation or stinging sensation. I am asking for help here because I figure the ladies have more shaved skin surface i.e. legs so what do you do stop the stinging. I have tried not shaving on the days I am in the ocean but that doesn't always work. The stinging is on my neck and chin area.

Little help please
Buzz

I sure hope chuck doesn't read this:smilie39:

azdiver
01-02-2008, 17:53
don't shave your face.... you're on a dive vacation!!

Malbec
01-02-2008, 19:29
DH has the same problem with shaving irritation (or did, before he grew a beard!)

One thing that helps me with the same problem on my legs is moisturizer like everyone suggested- I would try a product that has no artificial fragrances (something like Clinique products, I guess, I love their Deep Comfort Body Butter) to irritate you further.

If that doesn't work, try olive oil or vaseline ;) Never know, just might work! And you'll be so shiny.

Chocoholic
01-05-2008, 14:20
Try shaving with the direction of hair growth instead of against it... that seems to keep away ingrown hairs too.

ian
01-06-2008, 11:33
I used to have the same problem.

Two tips:

1) get a mirror in your shower and shave in the shower at the end of your shower, after your beard has had chance to soak up the hot water.

2) NEVER use shaving cream, gel, goop. They have built in irritants to make your beard stand up! Use cream rinse/hair conditioner. It provides enough lubrication to allow the blade to slide easily and has nothing (or virtually noting) to irritate your skin.

Yes, I shave...there's a lot to shave with a goatee. Not shaving even one day makes it look really messy...

Cheers...

Ian

Tableleg
01-07-2008, 17:10
Go read up on wet shaving. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/) Since I did about a year ago, my face (along with my check book now that we're past that initial 'equipment purchase') has thanked me ever since! I just cringe when I see people scraping their face with dull disposable razors...

thor
01-07-2008, 17:59
I used to get that. Try using some type of sensative skin shaving cream like Aveena. Or just shave with clam shells.

navyhmc
01-07-2008, 23:54
I agree, I'm on vacation, I don't shave.

If it's cold, I don't dive until I have a full bread anyway. I find that it keeps "The Cold Circle" on your face warmer.

Airborne!
01-08-2008, 01:56
There is a product line called Bump Fighter. Try shaving with these products. They allow you to shave at the skin surface unlike most razors that shave below the skin surface and can cause irritation. Trust me they work as advertised. Below is for an example of the products and not an endorsement of the site. I get mine at the local AAFES or Walmart.

Bump Fighter Razors (http://www.greatrazors.com/index.asp?Category=5&PageAction=VIEWCATS)

Grizbear98
01-09-2008, 22:36
using a thick gel shaving cream that is soft on the skin and a good sharp razor usual work for me when I'm shaving my legs. I find that using the 2 bladed disposables give me far more razor burn on sensitive areas than ones that have 3 or 4. Baby powder helps with burn, but I don't think you'd want to put that on your face, light non-scented creams work well too. Any product with alcohol in it is going to hurt like the dickens.

shari75202
01-10-2008, 23:18
I use hair conditioner. It's better than any shaving cream or gel I've ever found. If you use it to shave then also apply more after you've shaved and rinse right before exiting the shower, it will keep you smooth and bump free. Also be sure and change your razor regularly.

scubajane
01-13-2008, 18:53
I hate the way shave cream smells...I use conditioner and lots of it.. no stinging. also stop wrapping jellyfish around your neck they should stay in the ocean.

Grizbear98
01-13-2008, 19:12
mine smells like melons, I love scented shave gels

setesh
01-13-2008, 19:36
I used to have the same problem.

Two tips:

1) get a mirror in your shower and shave in the shower at the end of your shower, after your beard has had chance to soak up the hot water.

2) NEVER use shaving cream, gel, goop. They have built in irritants to make your beard stand up! Use cream rinse/hair conditioner. It provides enough lubrication to allow the blade to slide easily and has nothing (or virtually noting) to irritate your skin.

Yes, I shave...there's a lot to shave with a goatee. Not shaving even one day makes it look really messy...

Cheers...

Ian

This is what has worked best for me as well with one addition, the Gillette Fusion. I used a Mach3 for a little while, but it kept eating my face. I switched to the Fusion and I have not had razor burn again, and that switch was made a year ago.

Also, normal shaving gel really irritates my neck and chin, but the Sensitive Skin kind doesn't have all the irritants in it, and makes for a nice, razor burn free shave.

Good luck!

ian
01-13-2008, 19:45
This is what has worked best for me as well with one addition, the Gillette Fusion.

:smiley20:

Me too! I thought it was all hype, but I really like the Fusion...

Ian

cyclone3565
01-14-2008, 15:57
I began using women's Skintastic Shaving Gel, due to the alcohols in Men's stuff. Skintastic is great, it does not irritate at all and I no longer burn upon diving.