PDA

View Full Version : 72-76 degree Water...What is needed?

skippy11
01-01-2008, 22:00
I am giong to Balmorhea State Park in two weeks. The water temp is supposed to be 72-76 degrees year round. I currently own a 3mil full wetsuit. Will this be warm enough? I am worried about getting cold. We will be there for 3 days of diving and I don't want to ruin it from beginning...if cold is a factor.

Any advice would be appreciated.:smiley1:

FishFood
01-01-2008, 22:05
That'd be fine (for me), if you keep warm for the surface intervals. I wouldn't buy a new wetsuit for those temps, that's for sure. (but im cheap) What are teh air temps like? Is it several dives in a row, or one dive at a time?

Daved
01-01-2008, 22:21
I would think you are fine--if concerned buy a 3mil hoodie

awap
01-02-2008, 08:59
My wife would not be comfortable with anything less than a 5mm for that range. At 76 and with only 2 dives a day, I'd be fine, but if it is really 72 and/or I was going to do 3 or 4 dives a day, I'd be in a 5mm also. In your case, rather than buying a 5mm, you should be able to just add a shortie and hood to stay comfortable.

mwhities
01-02-2008, 09:02
I did a 32F air/45F water dive in a 3mil henderson gold and 3mil henderson shorty. I had hood and gloves on too. As long as I kept swimming, I stayed warm. Plus, you always have your internal "water heater". :)

NitroWill
01-02-2008, 09:29
In the 72F Florida Springs - a 3mil doesn't cut it for me - I added a $20 2Mil Hooded vest and it did the trick - much more warmth

CODMAN
01-03-2008, 13:40
Yup, a 2 or 3mm hooded vest might just be the ticket you need in case your 3mm is too cool. I'd say you're borderline for that 3mm suit...:smilie40: You might be OK... You might not...:smiley13:

skippy11
01-03-2008, 19:58
That'd be fine (for me), if you keep warm for the surface intervals. I wouldn't buy a new wetsuit for those temps, that's for sure. (but im cheap) What are teh air temps like? Is it several dives in a row, or one dive at a time?

Air Temp is anywhere from 63-72. Probably be mid-low 60s w/ my luck. :smiley2:

We plan on doing probably 2 dives in the morn, 1 afternoon, & 1 at night.

I think I am going to purchase a 3mil shorty to wear over my 3mil full. Maybe a little overkill...might not. I will be able to use a short later anyway.

Thanks to All for your help and input!!

Goober
01-03-2008, 21:10
Just gonna depend. I dive a 3mm one piece in the springs no hood no gloves..72 degrees.. and I never have a problem. In fact I have to pull my neck a bit a let a little fresh water in to cool off during most dives and I'm on 75mg of plavix and 325mg asparin daily, so I tend to be cool when most are not.

Last friday I did 3 dives at Ginnie in a 3mm, never even started to get cold. Before you spend any cash, give just a plain ol' 3mm a shot. You may find it is plenty, you may want to do as others have suggested.:smiley2:

skippy11
01-04-2008, 00:42
Goober, thanks for the input. I guess I don't want to take a chance of ruining my vacation b/c I'm cold. We are going to stop by ST on our way out of town, so I may check into a vest/hood vs. one of the shorty's on closeout. I would just rather be safe than sorry and have to sit out and watch. I stayed cold in Cozumel in August; if that tells you anything.:smiley9: My friends tease me about being cold blooded.:smiley36:

Thanks again

Zenagirl
01-04-2008, 07:39
We just spent a week diving every morning on Maui and I wore a 3mm vest under a 5mm full suit in 74 degree water. It's much easier to cool off when warm than warm up when cold.

cheebaweebie
01-04-2008, 08:35
I wear a 5/4/3 in around 75 surface temp. If it drops any lower I wear a core warmer vest or switch to my 7 MM if below 68

skippy11
01-04-2008, 13:31
Thanks for all your help. I will let you all know how it goes next weekend.

Goober
01-04-2008, 14:53
Goober, thanks for the input. I guess I don't want to take a chance of ruining my vacation b/c I'm cold. We are going to stop by ST on our way out of town, so I may check into a vest/hood vs. one of the shorty's on closeout. I would just rather be safe than sorry and have to sit out and watch. I stayed cold in Cozumel in August; if that tells you anything.:smiley9: My friends tease me about being cold blooded.:smiley36:

Thanks again

You are most welcome! Lets us know how it went when you het home!:smiley20:

WV Diver
01-04-2008, 15:04
A 3mm jump suit should be fine for most folks. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and are concerned you will get cold, a 3mm hooded vest will definitely keep you from getting cold and they are not super expensive. You'll likely end up getting one sooner or later anyway.

divingchef
01-04-2008, 15:09
72F...I dive 5mm, sometimes with hood depending on how I feel and what the air temp is.....I prefer to be slightly on the warm side, than slightly on the cool side.....I see no bravado in diving 3mm shorty in 72F.....also with a 5mm long, thermoclines, water changes, etc affect me different...its personal preference.....but I cool quickly....or maybe Im just a wuss....

CaptainRon
01-04-2008, 22:51
There is a little dive shop across the road that rents wetsuits and other gear. If the 3mm isn't enough, could always rent something from them.

cummings66
01-05-2008, 07:43
For me personally I'd want something a bit more than a 3mm for the dives you're going to be doing. It's not that I couldn't do the dive in a 3mm, but rather that multiple dives will make you uncomfortable. You could easily do one I think, but by the time you finish up you've probably lost some heat and will now be cold. I'd suggest a 5mm for starters, it's easier to start warm and end warm that way.