PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Dive Sites

jaldrich
01-02-2008, 08:29
I didn't want to totally hijack the Bennett Springs thread, but someone posted regulations for that site. In it was a list of other places. I'm curious to see if anyone has been diving at any of these other locations and what the conditions were like...

From the regulations in the other thread...

"Recreational and Stream Diving

Diving in some areas within state park boundaries is restricted to preserve the area's natural state, for public safety, or to prevent conflicts with other users. Diving in the following areas is authorized by the respective park superintendent providing divers follow policy guidelines and specific instructions as given by the superintendent.

State Park Waters
Cuivre River Lake Lincoln
St. Joe Monsanto, Pim, Jo Lee, Apollo lakes
Elephant Rocks All quarries except one next to Braille Trail
Johnson's Shut-Ins Deep pools in shut-ins
Sam A Baker Big Creek
Van Meter Quarry
Bennett Spring Spring and spring branch (December through February 28)"

skdvr
01-02-2008, 08:51
Great minds think alike, I was just coming in here to post the same question...

Phil

cummings66
01-02-2008, 09:00
I can show you what Bennett Springs was like yesterday, but the other places I have not dove and from what I've been told by buddies diving them it's not as good as Bennett Springs is right now.

Look at Diving Photos (http://www.mcmsys.com/~cummings/diving) I've still got a few photo's left to add from yesterday, but nice vis.

I'd say vis was at LEAST 50 feet, probably further but there is only so far you can see before it hits a wall or something.

skdvr
01-02-2008, 09:13
Matt, how far of a drive is that for you??? You sure are a travelin fool for dive'n... Like the pics and the video....

Phil

cummings66
01-02-2008, 11:18
It's 2 hours 35 minutes away, vs 4 hours 30 minutes for Table Rock or 5.5 hours for Beaver. I can dive about 35 minutes away but the lake is solid ice right now and to be honest the vis is not great enough to warrant cutting a hole in and diving.

I wish I lived closer to good diving.

snagel
01-02-2008, 17:23
Matt,

Nice pic's. How cold was it New Years Day? It got real cold around my house (Warrensburg). I was thinking of you down at Bennett.

BTW - Haven't dove any of the other spots, either.

S. Nagel

snagel
01-02-2008, 17:28
I don't have information on the sites listed previously. But, I have been putting together some information on Local Dives sites with GPS coords and general information.

It's gotten way too big to try and post it here, but if anybody is interested, send me an email and I will be happy to forward it. It is a Word Doc.

My email: nagel1990@charter.net

S. Nagel

texdiveguy
01-02-2008, 17:34
I wish I lived closer to good diving.

To bad you don't live in Texas.......lol :)

cummings66
01-02-2008, 18:45
In some ways I think I could get to like Texas, but I'm kind of partial to Missouri for some reason I can't think of.

As to temps, I think it was around 23 degrees when we left, not too bad all things considered but it was cold enough to turn the water on the drysuit into ice pretty fast, and with the wind gusts hitting 40 mph it did feel a mite cold to bare skin. Pitty the guy in the wetsuit...

texdiveguy
01-02-2008, 20:16
In some ways I think I could get to like Texas, but I'm kind of partial to Missouri for some reason I can't think of.

As to temps, I think it was around 23 degrees when we left, not too bad all things considered but it was cold enough to turn the water on the drysuit into ice pretty fast, and with the wind gusts hitting 40 mph it did feel a mite cold to bare skin. Pitty the guy in the wetsuit...

That is mighty chilly anyway you cut it!

SteveC
01-02-2008, 20:31
State Park Waters
Cuivre River Lake Lincoln
St. Joe Monsanto, Pim, Jo Lee, Apollo lakes
Elephant Rocks All quarries except one next to Braille Trail
Johnson's Shut-Ins Deep pools in shut-ins
Sam A Baker Big Creek
Van Meter Quarry
Bennett Spring Spring and spring branch (December through February 2)

I have been wondering about this list also. Obviously Bennett Springs is nice. Johnson’s Shut-Ins use to have a nice deep pool at the bottom, but it’s hard to say what it would be like now since the big flood. Also, it never was very big and snorkeling was all that was actually needed for it.
The Big Creek at Sam A Baker state park is really nice and very clear, but also very shallow. I have had a great time snorkeling it, but scuba would not be very practical, because of its remote location and shallowness.
I have serious doubts about the rest, but I would love to hear a report from someone that has dove them. My guess would be that the vis would be very low in most of them.

jaldrich
01-02-2008, 20:53
I've been out to Cuivre River State Park to hunt a couple of geocaches and walked around the lake - was never terribly busy on the days I went out. Saw some folks swimming, fishing and floating on tubes and such.
No info on depths, but the state park webpage said it is a 55 acre man-made lake. The landscape is pretty unique with bluffs, hills and such, considering how flat the surrounding territory is. All-told, it's worth a visit just to hike around.
I would imagine vis is low here as well. I wouldn't mind checking it out sometime since it is close by. Might make a good weekend barbecue adventure, with enough stuff to keep non-diving family busy for a day or even a campout.

SteveC
01-04-2008, 19:50
I’m going to do a reconnaissance mission to Elephant Rocks state park tomorrow. I’m not bringing gear, but will take some topside pictures.

snagel
01-04-2008, 20:09
Cooooll. I'll diving dry - hopefully. Let me know how the trip goes. I'll call you on the way home to let you know how the class went.

S. Nagel

SteveC
01-05-2008, 18:41
We made it to Elephant Rocks state park today. The quarry was very beautiful and not bad to get to, but the vis did not look very good. It is kinda hard to say since there was a layer of ice on top, but it doesn’t look worth diving unless we can get a better update on the vis. Possibly latter in the year.
We went by Johnson Shut-Inns, but they are closed and we could not get a look at the water.
We did get to see the Black river at Lesterville and the water was crystal clear, so it looks like the Black river is back to it’s old self.

Here is a line to the Elephant Rocks quarry pictures.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/Muck_Divers/Elephant%20Rocks%20Jan%202008/?albumview=slideshow

beperkins
10-14-2008, 13:19
I went to elephant rocks about 10/5/2008 and had a look at the quarry, it did not look any better than your average pond. Does anyone know if there might be tools or anything interesting to see that would make it worth braving the low viz?

SteveC
10-14-2008, 20:43
Actualy I just found out that diving is not allowed at Elephant rocks anymore. Probably isn't worth it anyway.

beperkins
10-17-2008, 08:30
Glad I did not get in the water. I just walked around and looked, I was hoping to catch a park Ranger and talk to him about it, but did not see one. It was a beautiful day and I almost got my suit on and snorkeled it just to see if the viz was any better than it looked from the surface. Glad I did not.