PDA

View Full Version : Pony Reg set up

DarinMartell
01-02-2008, 11:12
From reading all of the different "Pony vs Spare Air" and "What size pony" threads I can see that a pony is most popular.

I have read a-lot of comments on how and where to sling your pony, but have not seen anything on Reg set up.

Right now I have a Spare Air and my reg placement is as follows:

Primary 2nd stage in my mouth (hopefully :smiley36:)
Octo 2nd stage on a necklace
Spare air with built in 2nd stage slung so the top of the holster is in the lower right side of the "golden triangle"

When you set up a pony where does the 3rd 2nd stage reg go? With an extra hose is there more issues of tangles?

NitroWill
01-02-2008, 11:20
If mounted to the BC, I would clip the 2nd stage to the same side chest ring or bungied to the tank depending on your current setup. If mounted and routed properly, there should be no added safety risk.

No Misses
01-02-2008, 11:31
I bungie the hose to my pony bottle. To deploy just pull it out of the bungie. I have a bolt snap attached at the second stage. If I deploy the pony reg during the dive and do not want to keep the reg in my mouth, I can clip it to my chest D-ring.

skdvr
01-02-2008, 12:10
I have a 40 inch hose from the 1st to 2nd stage and then keep the second stage up near the neck of the tank with two bungee cords around the tank that hold down the hose, so when you pull on the second stage the hose comes right out of the bungees. I keep the hose bungeed to the side of the tank closest to me. Oh by the way I have my pony slung, not sure how to do it if it is back mounted...

Phil

CompuDude
01-02-2008, 12:27
DIR-diver.com - Reg config stages/deco (http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/reg_config_stages.html)

terrillja
01-02-2008, 13:41
I personally have my pony attached using the zeagle pony mounts, since they are cheap and work well:
Zeagle Pony Bottle Attachment, Scuba Tanks, Zeagle, Zeagle Pony Bottle Attachment (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeaglePonyBottleAttachment)
I then have my octo attached to my pony first stage, and a small pressure gauge on the first stage as well. I can understand some guys liking the slung bottles, but to me they get in the way and are an annoyance. I tried slinging the bottle and decided it wasn't worth the annoyance.

Having said that, if you are doing deco and need to see the MOD and such of the bottle before you breathe it, I could see having it in front of you. otherwise, I would keep the pony behind me, out of the way.

charlesml3
01-03-2008, 10:26
I use the same setup as terrillja here. The Zeagle pony attachment. It's mounted on the right side of my tank. I tuck the hose between the bladder and vest. Like this, but on the other side:

http://www.zeagle.com/clientuploads/Jim_Fox_Photos/accessories/Redundant_System/Redundant-System-Installed-.gif

DarinMartell
01-03-2008, 15:02
So do some of you not have an Octo off of the main tank? I guess that doesn't make sense to me, wouldn't you want a safe second on the largest air source, then the redundant air source plan "C"?

terrillja
01-03-2008, 15:06
So do some of you not have an Octo off of the main tank? I guess that doesn't make sense to me, wouldn't you want a safe second on the largest air source, then the redundant air source plan "C"?
I'd have too many hoses, and 30CF is a lot of air, between my buddy and I we have 60CF in ponies, almost as much as full AL80. IMO the less hoses the better. I'd considered getting a combo octo inflator, so I would have an octo off the back air as well as the pony, but haven't yet.

Hollywood703
01-05-2008, 06:49
I dont follow DIR exactly....When Diving redundancy, i have an octo inflator i will place in place of my standard octo, and then place my Pony reg to my right lower side. This way, if I need other Air besides my primary, I have an option from either side, and either hand.