PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Delta issues

mmakay
07-10-2007, 09:56
My wife's reg is an Oceanic Delta 3 with piston 1st. It's nearly 4 years old, and we take 2-3 dive vacations each year. It has been serviced twice, ... essentially annually, though it's due for another.

Recently she complained that it is breathing hard and wet when she is in "odd" positions or upside down. The Delta 3 isn't known for these shortcomings. (that I'm aware of, anyway!) Are their specific tune-up or service procedures that can correct this sort of thing? Or should I just buy her an Atomic and be done with it?

adjuster-jd
07-10-2007, 22:14
I havent dived it in a while but my delta 3 breathed a little wet when upside down, but not all that bad. I don't recall it being difficult to breath in any position though.
<DIV></DIV>

racket
07-10-2007, 23:13
My D4 and GT3 and Alpha 8 all breath hard while inverted. I doa lot of vertical work and they all seem to do this.
<DIV></DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-11-2007, 00:09
My D4 and GT3 and Alpha 8 all breath hard while inverted. I doa lot of vertical work and they all seem to do this.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Really any conventional reg will be harder to inhale on when inverted. It's a physics thing, the diaphragm being higher and pointing toward the surface - air is holding it up - and there is less pressure above your mouth than below.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The only regs I've ever used that don't do that are side exhaust regs like the oceanic delta or poseidons.</DIV>

mmakay
07-11-2007, 06:57
We have Seacure mouthpeices on our regs. (...and everybody else should too!!) I will re-mold hers and make sure no water is getting past it. If that doesn't help, I'll let you know.

dk2943
07-12-2007, 00:06
I have an Atomic Z2 reg set. I bought it because of the rave reviews. It is certainly better than the Mares that I got certified with. A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to dive an Oceanic Delta 4. Initially, I was very excited, but by the middle of the second dive, I could not wait to get back to the Atomic!

Judestudio
07-13-2007, 00:17
I have an Atomic Z2 reg set. I bought it because of the rave reviews. It is certainly better than the Mares that I got certified with. A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to dive an Oceanic Delta 4. Initially, I was very excited, but by the middle of the second dive, I could not wait to get back to the Atomic!

But then you're comparing a Toyota to a Ferrarismileys/smiley36.gif
Mind you though, for the price tag on the Delta 4 and the features that come with, it's absolutely one that is worth test driving for.

mmakay
07-13-2007, 09:59

Don't tell my wife that! I dive a Z1. smileys/smiley4.gif

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:11
i think for under 500, you definitely can't beat the d4...