PDA

View Full Version : Removing corrosion on power inflator

68raggtop
01-03-2008, 06:12
I bought a used BCD and the previous owner didn't clean the salt water out of the power inflator valve which has of course left a corrosion build up inside the valve. The valve I think is chrome plated brass. Is there anything that will dissolve this, like vinegar? I want to keep this as a spare if I can get it clean. Thanks,
Dave

ScubaToys Larry
01-03-2008, 06:17
You can try... but the problem with brass corrosion, is that the metal actually gets eaten away, and then the o-rings don't seal, seats don't seat... etc. Since you can buy a spare inflater end for 25 bucks... I'm not sure I'd go through all the work of cleaning, opening up, finding seats, o-rings, etc, unless it's something you want to keep for antique reasons... and then it doesn't have to work.. just look nice.

I think what you'll find is anything that will start to clean it - brass cleaner, vinegar, etc... will dissolve some of the corroded brass, and make even more chrome flake off - leaving it even more susceptible to future corrosion.

Good luck!

68raggtop
01-03-2008, 06:34
Larry, I tried to search ST for a inflator end, but didn't find one. Do you have them? I am only trying to clean the one on it now as a spare, and because I like to take things apart and see how they were made:smiley36:
Dave

awap
01-03-2008, 09:19
Unless you just don't want to bother, it might still be a good experience to try to clean it up. It is surprising how resiliant most of this gear is. I've taken older regulators jhat looked more green than chrome and got them working fine again. Ugly but working. A 50/50 vinegar/water solution will work for a 5 minute soak (repeat if you really have to) but a sonic cleaner is better. I've had some piston first stages with corrosion that compromised the o-ring seal in the ambient chamber (usually a killer) that I managed to restore with a little careful polishing with a light metal polish. It may never be as good as new (or even pretty) but you might be surprised how well it functions once it is cleaned up.

And if it doesn't work, you will have or develop a slow leak - not a major problem. Then it may be time to retire it (or play with it some more).

But be warned - I'm still driving a 20 year old pickup truck so I'm probably not typical.

68raggtop
01-03-2008, 10:10
. A 50/50 vinegar/water solution will work for a 5 minute soak (repeat if you really have to) but a sonic cleaner is better.
Thanks awap. I don't have access to a sonic cleaner, but I wasn't sure if vinegar should be diluted or not. I will give it a try. Nothing to loose but time anyways.:smiley20:

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 13:05
Sonic cleaners are like $25-50 at Harbor Freight.

WaScubaDude
01-03-2008, 15:30
I bought a used BCD and the previous owner didn't clean the salt water out of the power inflator valve which has of course left a corrosion build up inside the valve. The valve I think is chrome plated brass. Is there anything that will dissolve this, like vinegar? I want to keep this as a spare if I can get it clean. Thanks,
Dave

you can also use a SonicCare toothbrush with the 50/50 mix. Not as good as a sonic soak bath, but it does help to get the corrosion out. Plus the wife will get to wonder about the green stain on her toothbrush head. lol!

Foo2
01-03-2008, 15:51
Larry, I tried to search ST for a inflator end, but didn't find one. Do you have them? I am only trying to clean the one on it now as a spare, and because I like to take things apart and see how they were made:smiley36:
Dave

Hey Dave,
ST does sale inflators. I bought a Zeagle inflator several months back and I believe they were $20-$25. They don't have them listed on the website, but if you PM or call Joe, he'll hook you up.

ScubaToys Larry
01-03-2008, 16:07
Foo2 is right... we don't list all the parts like that - but just give us a shout and we'll get you set.

68raggtop
01-03-2008, 20:05
Thanks everyone, for all the info! I just about cracked up with the Sonicare toothbrush one because that is what we use :smiley36:. I guess it's time to PM Larry and order one..... oh look.... I just hit 10 posts. :smilie39: