PDA

View Full Version : Knife Placement

creggur
07-26-2007, 08:49
I got a Remora dive knike and am considering mounting it to my HP hose. I clip my console via a retractor to the d-ring on my right shoulder so that it crosses my chest.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If I mount the knife to that hose it will be right in front of me while diving. My question is there any cons to mounting it to the hose? I'm really not ready to start poking holes in my new Brigade..</DIV>

TAH 73
07-26-2007, 08:59
I got a Remora dive knike and am considering mounting it to my HP hose. I clip my console via a retractor to the d-ring on my right shoulder so that it crosses my chest.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If I mount the knife to that hose it will be right in front of me while diving. My question is there any cons to mounting it to the hose? I'm really not ready to start poking holes in my new Brigade..</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My knife is on the BC hose, no real issues, keeps the hose weighted down right where I can find it real quick.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

paintballindivr
07-29-2007, 16:02
i have my knife custom gromets through my bc pocket that is mounted to my knife and it is nowhere near the bladder (flat tipped) so no worries about punctures

Venio
07-29-2007, 16:05
I have mine on the BC hose as well. Pretty convenient I'll say.

TxHockeyGuy
07-29-2007, 16:38
I zip tied my knife to my right shoulder BCD strap. It's out of the way, easily accessible, and if I were ever to get in a situation where I couldn't help myself my buddy would be easily able to see where the knife is. Oh, and it's easy to get to when the gear is off in case I need it for whatever I'm cooking up on the grill, got to remember important stuff like that.

deepdiver47
08-02-2007, 08:44
Have a pocket in your BCD? Put your knife there. What is the point of having it on your leg or on a hose, to make you look cool? A better question here is this: Have you ever really used to cut anything?

Can't get there guys....

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 09:40
Have a pocket in your BCD? Put your knife there. What is the point of having it on your leg or on a hose, to make you look cool? A better question here is this: Have you ever really used to cut anything?

Can't get there guys....

Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

The point of having it wherever one decides to put it is accessibility and comfort to the diver who puts it there.

For the OP, my suggestion is to place it where you will be able to get to it with either hand in a variety of positions. Might also consider carrying a pair of EMT shears or a Z-knife as a backup.

gunnarman
08-02-2007, 21:36
i have the little one on the back of my guages,it came with the computer. its conveinient, out of the way, and yes i have used it to release a little fishie caught in some line.

Doug B
08-02-2007, 22:09
<DIV></DIV>

I was thinking the same thing... mounting my remora to my hose... but I was worried that I would lose the knife during a giant stride. The retaining mechanism in the knife sheath isn't all that great.

I put the knife in my BC pocket, with a lanyard.

I have cut something with my knife... my thumb!...when I was using the knife to push a weight belt through a well used weight. It was very sharp!

WaterRat
08-02-2007, 22:37
Like Wolfie2012 said, try and mount it where you can reach it with either hand. It's unlikely in open water to get an arm in a position that you can't get it out of, but why chance it?

Ron

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 23:08

Can't get there guys....

Yes, I have. Frequently. It's a critical tool... in some dive locations. Don't forget, people dive in all kinds of differing local conditions.

Hex92
08-03-2007, 09:11
I carry two. Both are Remoras. One on my long hose. So it ends up being mid-chest on my left side. The other is on my waist.

tbush
08-03-2007, 10:00
Im set up same as Paintballindiver- i have my knife custom gromets through my bc pocket that is mounted to my knife and it is nowhere near the bladder (flat tipped) so no worries about punctures