PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Maui Pictures

Zenagirl
01-03-2008, 11:20
Okay, I tried to add photos to the gallery....but have failed twice. Here's a link where you can see them on-line.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0GYuWLdi3YvXg&emid=sharshar&linkid=link4

kenmendes
01-04-2008, 12:14
Those are some really cool pictures

hychang
01-04-2008, 14:27
Awesome pics. I especially like the Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle one. The turtle looks like he/she is giving you some attitude! Thanks for sharing!:smiley20:

WV Diver
01-04-2008, 14:47
Thanks for sharing these, we are planning a Hawaii trip for next year. Great pics.

divingchef
01-04-2008, 15:44
looks like the vis was pretty good! I really dig the frogfish! Nice job.

Zenagirl
01-04-2008, 17:53
Viz is always excellent at Molokini crater....an average day is 150 feet! ;) Viz at the off shore sites varied from 40-80 feet, so not bad

Thanks for the compliments, my husband does a really nice job. :D

Cheddarchick
01-04-2008, 18:40
So it looks like the vacation was a blast. Great pix Hil...what camera do you use?

RoadRacer1978
01-04-2008, 18:50
Great pics. My wife and I are planing a trip to Hawaii for our 10 year anniversary. I can't wait to do some diving there. Thanks for sharing.

Zenagirl
01-05-2008, 08:51
My husband uses a Sea&Sea DX8000 (discontinued) without a strobe. Has been a great little camera for macro especially.

We're both doing the Digital Photography Specialty when we're on Bonaire this summer, which includes the camera rental with a strobe, so he's looking forward to learning how to properly use a strobe and see what a difference it makes.

DiverBoy100
01-05-2008, 09:35
those pics were great!!!...it look like your trip was a bast

whse56
01-05-2008, 15:29
Fantastic pictures, haven't dove Hawaii in 20 years. I'd forgot how beautiful it is.

thecheeseman
02-02-2008, 18:37
wow! fantastic shot of the Carthaginian! i really wanted to do that on maui. how were the conditions? i love the cathedrial shot, can you email me a jpeg of that for a background?

sounds like you had fun!

Suther2136
02-02-2008, 21:29
Zenagirl, Nice photos! Looking forward to our trip in Spetember.

BuzzGA
02-03-2008, 00:25
The pics are great. Hopefully, we'll get to Maui this summer

MLenyo
02-03-2008, 01:44
what does it cost to dive in maui? looks beautiful!

Zenagirl
02-03-2008, 08:08
Boat diving on Maui isn't cheap.....we pay $129 for a 2-tank charter to Molokini Crater.

Cheeseman, we thought the Carthaginian was an okay dive, and rather leaned toward the boring side when all was said and done. Not much life on her (probably due to her depth), and she's deteriorating really fast. I'd say she's a wreck you can completely explore in 10 minutes, then there's not much to see or do. We realized that quickly and spent 80% of our dive on the crowsnest (near the frog fish) watching the other divers below us. If you PM me your e-mail address, I'd be happy to send you the Cathedrals shot as a jpeg.

setesh
02-03-2008, 10:58
Those pics are great! The vis looks really good! I hope it's that good when we go. Only three days now till we're on the plane:smiley20:

Charles R
02-03-2008, 11:48
beautiful Pic's I am excited we are going to Kona again in March for 10 days. I will post pics when I get back. What type of Camera do you use?

fisheater
02-03-2008, 12:05
Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

They make me anxious to go to Hawaii, myself. I'll be there at the end of March and am hoping to get a lot more diving in (conditions permitting) between now and then so that using a camera isn't so task overloading for me.

Those pictures are inspiring.

Zenagirl
02-03-2008, 18:51
Thanks for everyone's nice compliments. We have a Sea&Sea DX8000 (discontinued) without a strobe and my husband takes all the pictures, I'm just the critter spotter and editor. :D

As to viz, at Molokini it is rarely less than 100', with 150' being more typical. Viz off shore depends on whether or not there's been recent rain.

I hope everyone posts trip reports about their Hawaii adventures, and pictures (or links to them) if you have them.

MLenyo
02-04-2008, 01:54
is it easy to find places to shore dive in hawaii?

Zenagirl
02-04-2008, 06:58
I don't know about the other islands, but shore diving from Maui is very easy. Lots of great sites and many easy entries. Try checking out shorediving.com.....I think they have Hawaii sites on it. You can also pick up (or get from the website) a magazine from Maui Dive Shop that shows many shore diving sites and gives directions.

Suther2136
02-20-2008, 21:17
I don't know about the other islands, but shore diving from Maui is very easy. Lots of great sites and many easy entries. Try checking out shorediving.com.....I think they have Hawaii sites on it. You can also pick up (or get from the website) a magazine from Maui Dive Shop that shows many shore diving sites and gives directions.

Cool site, thanks Zenagirl

scubasamurai
02-20-2008, 22:41
nice pictures, but why do they call those fish frog fish when they look nothing like frogs mmmh

seand
04-13-2008, 03:19
I agree the Carthaginian wasn't so great! Not too much life and it's a quick dive... I did it from a scooter and it was a lot better coming up the shoreline.. We also saw some nice jellies on the way out... I wouldn't waste any money doing the Carthaginian!

Sean

Zenagirl
04-13-2008, 17:24
I agree the Carthaginian wasn't so great! Not too much life and it's a quick dive... I did it from a scooter and it was a lot better coming up the shoreline.. We also saw some nice jellies on the way out... I wouldn't waste any money doing the Carthaginian!

Sean

And to be perfectly acurate, you scootered out (with Tim) to dive with us on the wreck after a great BBQ on Christmas. :D

seand
04-13-2008, 18:15
LOL yes this is true! Samantha is so much bigger now! She took a big fall after you guys left... Boy that was stress!!! Yeah we even saw Mark Drudge on the wreck... he gave us a signal... It was a good day though I really enjoyed the BBQ!! I missed the Frogfish but did see an interesting Filefish on the wreck.. Did you see that? I have that video somehwere.. let me find it!!! here it is:

YouTube - Carthaginian Wreck Dive, Maui, Hawaii (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfXB1KOK3kc)

Are you in the video? :)

Sean

Splitlip
04-13-2008, 18:28
OMG. Sweet.

I was planning a surf safari to HI, but you have turned me!
What'd you use to shoot those pics?

Thanks.
Tim

Daved
04-13-2008, 20:20
Thanks for posting--great shots. Who are you taking the course with on Bonaire? Personal fav is Tim at Fish-eye photo.

Zenagirl
04-14-2008, 07:19
LOL yes this is true! Samantha is so much bigger now! She took a big fall after you guys left... Boy that was stress!!! Yeah we even saw Mark Drudge on the wreck... he gave us a signal... It was a good day though I really enjoyed the BBQ!! I missed the Frogfish but did see an interesting Filefish on the wreck.. Did you see that? I have that video somehwere.. let me find it!!! here it is:

YouTube - Carthaginian Wreck Dive, Maui, Hawaii (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfXB1KOK3kc)

Sean

Great video, Sean! You caught me twice; once coming out of the big hold and a few seconds later above the deck (at about the 4:00 mark). We saw Tim near the mast a few minutes later and got a couple of pictures with him, but don't remember seeing you. I have to tell you that it was rather amusing when we got back on the boat and the crew was a bit curious as to where you guys came from. We quickly explained that you were meeting us there and they were rather surprised you could scooter out there so easily.

Samantha is an amazing little thing, isn't she? After meeting her parents, it's not a surprise that she's so adventurious and friendly. :D Glad to know she's okay from her fall...it's amazing how resiliant babies are....good thing too! We had a great time getting to know you and Tim at the BBQ and would love to see you again. We'll be back on Maui at Christmas again...maybe lunch or a drink? I had thought of PMing you and Tim in November/December to check in. ;)

Mark was a lot of fun to dive with, though we all enjoyed Mala much more than the Carthaginian. He didn't get much time on the wreck due to sucking air, but on Mala got just under a 60 minute dive and was amazed at all the critters we found. Not sure what he thought about going so slow, but we did warn him that my husband had a camera! <LOL>

Zenagirl
04-14-2008, 07:26
Thanks for posting--great shots. Who are you taking the course with on Bonaire? Personal fav is Tim at Fish-eye photo.

Yes, it's all arranged with Tim at Fish-Eye. Since we're staying at Den Laman it seemed to make sense to go with Tim, but I've also heard great things about him and that he runs a really good class. It'll be the first time my husband will use a strobe, so we're looking forward to seeing how that affects his photographs and if he wants to buy one. I'm sure we'll have hundreds of pictures when we return from Bonaire. ;)

seand
04-16-2008, 17:54

Sean

Great video, Sean! You caught me twice; once coming out of the big hold and a few seconds later above the deck (at about the 4:00 mark). We saw Tim near the mast a few minutes later and got a couple of pictures with him, but don't remember seeing you. I have to tell you that it was rather amusing when we got back on the boat and the crew was a bit curious as to where you guys came from. We quickly explained that you were meeting us there and they were rather surprised you could scooter out there so easily.

Samantha is an amazing little thing, isn't she? After meeting her parents, it's not a surprise that she's so adventurious and friendly. :D Glad to know she's okay from her fall...it's amazing how resiliant babies are....good thing too! We had a great time getting to know you and Tim at the BBQ and would love to see you again. We'll be back on Maui at Christmas again...maybe lunch or a drink? I had thought of PMing you and Tim in November/December to check in. ;)

Mark was a lot of fun to dive with, though we all enjoyed Mala much more than the Carthaginian. He didn't get much time on the wreck due to sucking air, but on Mala got just under a 60 minute dive and was amazed at all the critters we found. Not sure what he thought about going so slow, but we did warn him that my husband had a camera! <LOL>

Thanks for the kind words about Samantha!! Mark and I did a Mala Warf night dive on 01/01 and I saw a really cool Pearlfish... here's the photo: It's a little grainy due to a high iso setting by mistake
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t1/scubapost/malawarf01012008/DSC_0077.jpg

We'll definitely have to hook up when you are back over here during Christmas! Maybe we could do a Lanai dive trip or some shore diving?

Send me an email so we can make some plan later in the year!!

I hope you have a great summer! We are off to Indonesia May 03 and we will be back in Sept if everything works out! :)

Take Care,

Sean

mobeeno
04-16-2008, 22:33
Does the Molokini back wall often have divable conditions? What is the best time to go?

Penguino
04-17-2008, 00:14
Its these kind of posts that make me jealous and want to go spend a bunch of money to see the same stuff. Even so, thanks for the share!

seand
04-17-2008, 02:44
Penguino it's pretty fun stuff! You have to be lucky to see the interesting stuff!! The more you dive the more you will see!!

Mobeeno - Conditions are rougher in the winter than in the summer. I'd say it's pretty diveable but the boat operators are pretty cautious due to less experienced divers on the boat. A boat operator like Pro Diver or Ed Robinson are probably more likely to take divers to the backwall since their clients are more advanced divers...It's pretty fun but so is diving anywhere inside Molokini...

Sean

PhD4JC
04-17-2009, 13:20
I will certainly post pics when I return, sometime at the beginning of June.
Hopefully I will have my external strobe with great shots.

Thanks for everyone's nice compliments. We have a Sea&Sea DX8000 (discontinued) without a strobe and my husband takes all the pictures, I'm just the critter spotter and editor. :D

As to viz, at Molokini it is rarely less than 100', with 150' being more typical. Viz off shore depends on whether or not there's been recent rain.

I hope everyone posts trip reports about their Hawaii adventures, and pictures (or links to them) if you have them.