PDA

View Full Version : Boots - Hard or Soft Soles?

divingprinter
07-26-2007, 09:01
I've only had soft soled boots, so I guess the obvious answer is going to be try diving with them and you'll know what you prefer.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The things I am concerned about are that the sole will make the boot too tall for the foot pocket in the fin. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I see Larry and Joe sell a Tilos model on here - I have also seen a Henderson model that gets good reviews that are sold elsewhere. The thing i am not sure of about the Tilos model is that there is no strap protection on the heel if i am looking at them right. Looking for a low 2-3 mil tropical boot and not sure if I should go with hard or soft. Let me know what you guys think!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks - 1st post!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Geoff</DIV>

divingprinter
07-26-2007, 09:02
after I posted, I saw this was in the wrong section - if someone can move- I'd appreciate

picxie
07-26-2007, 14:47
I've not tried either of those specific booties, but I think it will depend on the type of diving you do. If you dive off a boat all the time, soft booties will be sufficient as you'll most likely just be putting them on before you jump in the water. If you are doing a lot of shore dives where you have to walk or climb over rocks etc, then hard soles will be better and give more protection.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I wear soft and do most of my dives off a boat. Some trips require you to be geared up before heading out, and there might be short walks to the beach or wharf, but the soft ones have been fine on the flat surface - at least, fine on my feet, probably not too good on the sole of the boot. But they have only been short walks so nothing major. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I am considering hard sole booties now, but only because I want a warmer pair and the pair I am looking at are hard ones.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

picxie
07-26-2007, 14:48
PS, welcome to the forum!! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

Judestudio
07-27-2007, 00:54
I've heard nice things about the Bare Ice Boots (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BarePremiumBoot), which has a hard sole. Scuba Lab (http://www.scubadiving.com/GR_acc_5mm_dive_boots) named it a Tester's Choice.

There's also the Pinnacle Orca (http://www.pinnacleaquatics.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=34&toplvl=16&catid=16&catprods=16), which is also a hard sole, but slightly thicker than the Bare if you need the extra warmth.

TAH 73
07-27-2007, 06:56
Both my Fiancee and dive in the Bare Ice boots and find them quite comfy, our DM and Instructor were also diving in the same boots as well.

texdiveguy
07-27-2007, 06:59
I dive the BARE Ice Boot---nice!

DirtyWaterIL
07-30-2007, 21:24
I prefer soft soles because I have wide fee and They stretch around my feet. All the hard soled boots I treid on were extremely uncomfortable.

ScubyDoo
07-31-2007, 23:44
Personally, I prefer the hard soled boots. Once you take your fins off, they become your shoes. You may need to walk over all manner of hard/sharp objects on the beach or even on a dive boat. While vacationing in the Caribbean, I prefer the low top hard soled booties. I can wear them aboard the boat instead of worrying about keeping tennis shoes dry...and continue to wear them afterwards as "island shoes". They are basically black neoprene tennis shoes...*S*.

94GTStang
08-04-2007, 17:52
I go with the hard soled boots. If you are out walking to the beach and the ground is rocky, you can't feel it. Nothing beats the protection a hard soled shoe offers

k46tank
08-05-2007, 02:03
I dive with the Henderson hard soled boots. The only downside that I have found is that they seem to be a little positive, especially when snorkeling. Other than that, they are very comfortable.

vel525
08-07-2007, 13:29
i found a great deal on some hard soles so i picked them up. my thought was that they would more comfortable to walk around in and would provide better arch support. well, they fit great and are very comfortable, but they won't fit in either of my fins :D
i have mares volos and SP jets so i just use my soft sole and my hard sole are sitting in my diving bin :D

Doghouse
08-08-2007, 11:32
Last weekend was a perfect answer to this debate. 4 of us went to the local quary for a dive. It was a short hike from the lot to the lake, and we had the gear in a wagon. I was the only one with hard soles on my boots. Well they all beached at least 2 times about sharp rocks or stones in the wrong place. I had no problems what so ever.

It depends on your feet and where you dive. If you are going to walk any distance, get hard soles or don't complain.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-08-2007, 22:40
I got soft right now but they are my first pair so i cant comment and the hard.

namabiru
08-09-2007, 11:34
Heh. You know what I use for booties? I lived in Japan at the time, and called into a sporting goods store and bought a pair of 800 yen (USD $6-7) water shoes. I bought them so they were a half size too small so they fit my foot exactly, then I purchased a $5 pair of neoprene socks from Sports Chalet. I wear the socks, then put on the water shoes so they slide on perfectly. The neoprene sock plus the bootie keeps my feet quite adequately warm. I even wear them at the lake because they have the hard sole. Plus they have a heel lip so my spring strap doesn't come off.

Serious. Try it out. Water shoes are on clearance now, so you can get them for pennies. In fact, I'm going to get another pair for when my first pair, regrettably, wear out.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 13:33
I think I want some hard soled boots, has anyone tried the Tilos hard Soled boots, they look like pretty substantial foot protection.

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 13:36
Last weekend was a perfect answer to this debate. 4 of us went to the local quary for a dive. It was a short hike from the lot to the lake, and we had the gear in a wagon. I was the only one with hard soles on my boots. Well they all beached at least 2 times about sharp rocks or stones in the wrong place. I had no problems what so ever.

It depends on your feet and where you dive. If you are going to walk any distance, get hard soles or don't complain.
Good example, hard soles will do everything soft ones will and more. Versatility is a plus with any gear.

Phestr
08-11-2007, 01:05
I wear felt bottomed, with almost an inch of sole. Around here, the hard boots don't give enough traction on the coral.

namabiru
08-11-2007, 11:33
Felt bottomed? Sorry, I have to ask. What exactly do felt-bottomed boots look like? I haven't ever seen them.

Which island in Okinawa do you reside on, BTW? Okinawa honto?

rfreddo
08-11-2007, 19:26
Sorry for hijacking, but . . . when fitting hard sole booties, should I be thinking shoe with a half inch or so room in in the toe box or water sock with a snug fit all around?

Phestr
08-11-2007, 20:55
Felt bottomed? Sorry, I have to ask. What exactly do felt-bottomed boots look like? I haven't ever seen them.

Which island in Okinawa do you reside on, BTW? Okinawa honto?

They are pretty much neoprene booties with a thick felt bottom. They work great, have goot traction, and are negatively bouyant (once soaked).

I'm not sure if Okinawa-honto is the name of the island, most of us just refer to it as Okinawa. I think it's like Hawaii. We live on the Big Island.

Phestr
08-11-2007, 20:56
Sorry for hijacking, but . . . when fitting hard sole booties, should I be thinking shoe with a half inch or so room in in the toe box or water sock with a snug fit all around?

I like mine snug all around, since they expand a bit when submerged.

namabiru
08-12-2007, 11:04
Yeah, I've found the same thing with booties--I, too, prefer a snug fit. I have a pair which aren't so snugly-fitting, and I feel like I don't have as much control over my fins since there is room in the bootie.

Yeah, it's usually just 'Okinawa' in conversation, but technically the name of the island is Okinawa Honto. I think that's where most foreigners live--the big island, as you say.