PDA

View Full Version : If you could chose any reg ST sells...

DivingCRNA
01-03-2008, 16:42
If you could get any regulator that SCUBAtoys offers what would you get? Especially for doubles, on a long hose, in cold, deep water?

Also consider the ability to fix problems yourself at the dive site, and to service for yourself.

Thanks!

in_cavediver
01-03-2008, 16:54
My choice would be one of the following:

1) Posideon Jetstreams. Actually, my next regs will be this due to the side breathing 2nd's and learning sidemount. Dive Rite is now supplying parts and rebuild manuals along with thier branded version.

2) Dive Rite RG2500 or Hurricane. (Have 3 2500's and a hurricane. Love the open source service manual and parts kits for rebuilds. Oh and they breath great too!)

3) Any Zeagle. Have the flathead 6 and DS4 which used to be my doubles primary regs. Now the DS4 is a stage reg. Also have to envoys and they are good too. Rebuild kits are available from ST but you have to dig for the service manuals. Still, excellent regs. (wish zeagle opened the service manuals up like Dive Rite)

aggie99
01-03-2008, 17:40
Atomic M1's

Puffer Fish
01-03-2008, 17:47
I have Zeagles, Scubapro's and Aqualung high end regs... I would easily pick Posideon Xstreams... just need Larry or Joe have a giant sale on them.

My choice would be one of the following:

1) Posideon Jetstreams. Actually, my next regs will be this due to the side breathing 2nd's and learning sidemount. Dive Rite is now supplying parts and rebuild manuals along with thier branded version.

2) Dive Rite RG2500 or Hurricane. (Have 3 2500's and a hurricane. Love the open source service manual and parts kits for rebuilds. Oh and they breath great too!)

3) Any Zeagle. Have the flathead 6 and DS4 which used to be my doubles primary regs. Now the DS4 is a stage reg. Also have to envoys and they are good too. Rebuild kits are available from ST but you have to dig for the service manuals. Still, excellent regs. (wish zeagle opened the service manuals up like Dive Rite)

BSea
01-03-2008, 17:53
I think I'd get a poseidon just because I've never been able to justify the price.

mitsuguy
01-03-2008, 18:01
I honestly have no idea if they would even be a noticeable improvement, but I would probably do the Poseidon's just because they are the most expensive and seem to have the better reputation and features...

However, there is nothing wrong with lesser expensive, similarly featured regs...

DivingCRNA
01-03-2008, 18:05
I honestly have no idea if they would even be a noticeable improvement, but I would probably do the Poseidon's just because they are the most expensive and seem to have the better reputation and features...

However, there is nothing wrong with lesser expensive, similarly featured regs...

I have had side exhaust regs before (Dacor Vipers) and did not like the air all hitting my left earl Do the Poseidon's do this?

NitroWill
01-03-2008, 18:07
When I first started diving I had a set of poseidons and I loved them - I would love to get my hands on a new model xstream or even jetstream - just cant justify the price - especially for a doubles rig :smiley11:

divingbuddy
01-03-2008, 18:11
The Poseidon X-Stream Deep are a sweet reg - and the excellent routing of hoses makes it a great choice for my doubles.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 18:27
Atomics. Hands down.

I just wish I could buy them over the 'net...

Puffer Fish
01-03-2008, 18:55

I have had side exhaust regs before (Dacor Vipers) and did not like the air all hitting my left earl Do the Poseidon's do this?

I would not compare a Viper to a Poseidon...but I don't know where your ear is in relationship to exhaust. In general, I would say no.

They tend to be sort of love/hate regulators... as they are so different. What you get with one (other than a major hit to your wallet) is the lowest dead air space of any regulator design... meaning less CO2 returning to your lungs and some really amazingly low inhale resistance. But any side exhaust reg will be interesting if you turn your head the wrong way.

fireflock
01-03-2008, 18:56
(wish zeagle opened the service manuals up like Dive Rite)

Are you looking for something other than this?
Zeagle Scuba diving Manuals - Zeagle Service Manuals (http://www.scubatoys.com/servicemanuals/zeagle/zeagle.asp)

Z-naught
01-03-2008, 22:43
For doubles? I'd get a couple of Atomic Aquatics (http://atomicaquatics.com/) M1s. As CompuDude stated, it's too bad you can't buy them over the web (with a factory warranty that is). If you want to order over the web and also have a factory warranty, Poseidon's (http://poseidon.se/) Xstream regs would be an excellent choice.

terrillja
01-04-2008, 00:29
I'd pick up a Mares Proton Ice Extreme, I tried one once and the thing was so easy to breathe off, and is good in cold water, which is a plus for New England and NY diving now that I am diving year round. Oh, and the reg is about the same price as the Poseidon regs. Ouch.

h2odragon1
01-04-2008, 00:43
Hands down Poseidon:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:
Dive rite would be my second choice:smiley20::smiley20:

in_cavediver
01-04-2008, 05:26
(wish zeagle opened the service manuals up like Dive Rite)

Are you looking for something other than this?
Zeagle Scuba diving Manuals - Zeagle Service Manuals (http://www.scubatoys.com/servicemanuals/zeagle/zeagle.asp)

Sweet. I didn't realize Zeagle started allowing that. I had to get my copy through the 'Beg, Borrow or Steal' method.

Clanggedin
01-04-2008, 09:35
I'd pick up a Mares Proton Ice Extreme, I tried one once and the thing was so easy to breathe off, and is good in cold water, which is a plus for New England and NY diving now that I am diving year round. Oh, and the reg is about the same price as the Poseidon regs. Ouch.

Another vote for the Ice Extreme.. Or the Abyss 22

CODMAN
01-04-2008, 13:42
I'd definetly go with a Mares Abyss MR22, for those types of conditions. But since I won't be doing that kind of stuff, I would much rather a V42 Proton metal :smiley20::smiley20:

And since I definetly won't be buying any regs in the near future, I'll be sticking with my V16 Proton XL, which has served me flawlessly so far and is a very smooth breather. I unfortunately can't find any good reasons to need replace it...:smiley19:

Grin
01-04-2008, 14:24
I think the tech diving / cave divers would pick the Apeks. They are crazy about them for the type of use your describing. They can fix them while underwater etc... I have no opinion since I have never dove in cold water or too terribly deep. I like my warm water Zeagles, and the Apeks were derived from Zeagle(or it's the other way around) so I'd probably be picking some sort of sealed 1st stage, cold water, Zeagle. Or follow the crowd and go Apeks if I was really serious in that tech stuff.

rye_a
01-04-2008, 18:07
Poseidon.

RECDiver
01-04-2008, 21:46
Atomic M1s.

Scoobidoo
01-06-2008, 03:55
Zeagle Flathead VI or Atomic ST1