PDA

View Full Version : Is c-card required for purchase?

orangeblood
01-03-2008, 20:54
Lost my c-card, can a dive shop pull up my info, or do I need to have it in hand to make a purchase.

cgvmer
01-03-2008, 20:55
you should only need it to get an air fill

Soonerwink
01-03-2008, 21:19
Dive shops can go online and pull up information.

skippy11
01-04-2008, 00:27
Lost my c-card, can a dive shop pull up my info, or do I need to have it in hand to make a purchase.

I have only had to have mine for Air Fills. One of my classmates lost his c-card. If you know how to get ahold of your instructor he/she could refile it for you. (or that is what my buddy did.)

SarahBella
01-04-2008, 07:12
The only time I needed a C card at the lds was to rent a reg/tank. After I did it once they remembered me so its been in the log book every since.

PlatypusMan
01-04-2008, 08:22

Unless it is in a specific area only available to active-status NAUI members, I couldn't find any way to access certs on-line at their site naui.com. (PADI follows.)

From NAUI:
Q: How do I replace a lost/stolen/broken certification card?
A: To request a replacement card, completely fill out the Replacement Card form (http://naui.com/replace_lost_card.php) and (if possible) send or fax us a clear photocopy of your training logbook pages and/or temporary certification card/ validation form, or a clear photocopy of your existing card. Include these with the replacement request form. You may download the Replacement Card Form in PDF format. The prices on the form are current. You will need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) from Adobe (http://www.adobe.com) to be able to read and print the form. If this option does not work for you, to obtain a form, please contact a local NAUI Dive Center, NAUI office, or NAUI Worldwide directly. In order to fulfill your request, we also need a copy of a photo ID (Driver's License, Passport, etc.) and payment. If the diver who is requesting the card is under 18, we also need the Parent/Guardian's signature. We accept Checks, Money Orders, Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Replacement cards are $30 (US). Extra charges may also be incurred if your request requires research into paper records and rush shipment.
----------

PADI apparently does something similar at Replace Your Certification Card (http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/c-card/default.aspx) with an added instruction on their site:

If you have difficulty downloading and/or printing this form, contact the PADI Dive Center or Resort (http://www.padi.com/padi/common/dcnr_distance/default.aspx) nearest you and they'll be more than happy to help you replace your card.
----------

PADI replacements can apparently be ordered on-line as well.

Hope this helps! :smiley2:

texdiveguy
01-04-2008, 08:22

I saw from your SB bio you are SSI O/W certed:

SSI Certification Card Replacement (http://www.ssiusa.com/diver_lostcard.htm)

cheebaweebie
01-04-2008, 08:33
My LDS put my cert # in the computer so If I ever need it to rent tanks or for whatever they have it on file. I own 5 of my own tanks so I am always geting fills so they never check it anyway as they know me pretty well. As for purchases of gear you do not need a C - Card.

CompuDude
01-04-2008, 18:17
Generally there's only a few things they'll sell where they want to see a card, and once they get to know you and know you are certified, they won't ask for it anymore. The exception is paperwork for courses, liability waivers for charters, etc.

If you're walking cold into a new shop, they may want to verify, but there are several methods by which a shop can do this, including online and 800 numbers. Dive shops in dive destinations have to do this all the time for travellers that forgot their card. I had to have PADI fax my info to a shop in Jamaica once... I had to wait a 1/2 day before I could dive as a result, but it was handled.

cummings66
01-05-2008, 07:19
I've found that few shops require the card, but those that do will be a stickler and not all of them have Internet access. I think they can still call but in my case it was easier to walk than deal with them.

I'd just get the replacement card and be done with it.

DivingCRNA
01-05-2008, 07:29
Some info for all the people who love to bash PADI-if you have a PADI cert and forgot your card a shop can look you up online instantly and you will not miss any dives.

My brother in-laws girlfriend almost missed diving on or trip because se is NAUI and forgot her card. She wound up have to do a mini check out before the dive to show she could do it.

cummings66
01-05-2008, 12:42
Doesn't matter what agency it is, a phone call can be used to verify the status, but often they won't make that call. It costs money and some shops are so tight they ...

Many places are fine with phone calls, many have internet access, but in the sticks that is not always the case and then it's up to the owner as to how they handle it.

When it comes to equipment I've seen some shops that will sell you everything without a card except for tanks, and then some that will sell you tanks but with no air in them. Some don't even care at all. It varies a lot.

navyhmc
01-05-2008, 12:58
It does vary from shop to shop. I have been to some shops that barely let you in the door with out getting carded and others have let folks buy anything up to and including tanks and never ask about a c-card. Most are in the middle-they'll let you get some gear but regulators and tanks have to show a card. The smart shops will let you but the tank and reg without a card if you make a non-refundable payment for an OW class.

Aussie
01-05-2008, 18:49
I have never been asked to provide any details that I am a certified diver when buying any dive gear. Especially online and that means ST also.

Aussie

Firefyter
01-06-2008, 08:21
Some info for all the people who love to bash PADI-if you have a PADI cert and forgot your card a shop can look you up online instantly and you will not miss any dives.

Some info for all the people who kneel and worship PADI - The above is true ONLY if you're diving with a PADI shop and ONLY if they have internet access. Otherwise, it's exactly as cummings66 says in the post previous to this one. Anyone can do it, all it takes is a phone call.

Tom A
01-06-2008, 19:14
most places when you rent a tank or get air fill the check your card

cummings66
01-07-2008, 10:02
Yup, basically Padi will not release your dive card info to somebody who calls up and says I'm Joe Blow. You've got to setup an account with them and anybody can do it, but why would a non padi shop be inclined to do so? That's the real issue and it's also the same one most of the other agencies have. They're not out there to tell everybody who you are, they want to insure they only tell that to the right people, marketers etc...

With sufficient motivation any shop could setup accounts anywhere to do stuff like this, but it costs money and in the end the profit does not always justify it.

cummings66
01-07-2008, 10:04
You know Tom, it's been a very long time since I've been carded for air. Most places I do business with have seen me so often that we're on a first name basis and they know what I can get, ie Nitrox percentages etc. About the only times I get carded are at the DUI and Project Aware events.

BSea
01-07-2008, 10:10
I have never been asked to provide any details that I am a certified diver when buying any dive gear. Especially online and that means ST also.

Aussie
I've had the same experience. The only time I've been carded was for fills or dive charters. I've bought a reg, computer & tanks without being carded. I don't even think I've been asked when it was over the phone. Granted , they probably assumed I was certified because of the questions I asked, or because I knew some features that generally only a diver would be concerned about.

And as for card replacement, I replaced an old card without having to show my old card. They just looked it up. It was NASDS (Now part of SSI).

kancho
01-07-2008, 11:11
I have never used a c card for a fill haha.. Since I guess I have my own tank they think I must be cert. I am but I needed it for a boat dive. I don't think you need anything when buying equipment.

marchand
01-07-2008, 14:03
Now that I think about it I have never shown my card to anyone at this one shop, and I get most of my air fills there. The other shop that I use I got certified at and I'm on a first name basis with them. the only time I'm asked for my card is at some of the springs and when I'm out of town.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-09-2008, 12:26
This plan is almost sure to keep you from having to ever show a card. Go into a shop and buy something. Talk to the people. Come in again and browse. Maybe buy something else. Keep doing this until they know you well. Buy some tanks and insist that they be O2 clean with nitrox wraps.

When you come in for fills they will already know you and not ask to see your card. Using this plan you could avoid adding the costly expense of certification classes to your SCUBA budget. You could save enough on the OW and Nitrox cert to buy some tanks. You could also avoid having to complete the dreaded Mask IV skill (whatever that is).

Yes, this is tongue-in-cheek. But it's based on personal experience. I happened to be certified but the shop never asked me to prove it. It wasn't until I signed up for a class with them that they asked for a copy of my C-card for their records.

I've only been asked when renting gear never when purchasing it.

ScubaJW
01-10-2008, 16:11
Not only getting a LDS to pull up your info, you can call your agency (such as PADI) to get a replacement.

cummings66
01-11-2008, 17:17
But if you're setting at the shop waiting from you need it now and not later.