PDA

View Full Version : First Dive

bmp51
07-26-2007, 10:02
Where was your first dive (open water and closed), what was the temp?, & how was it?

- Closed -was in a pool with my Dad @ about 13 or so yrs old, no idea on the temp, and I loved it!! couldnt getenough....

- Open- Lake Mead(@ 25 yrs old) water was 80d withabout 15ft vis, Loved it!! and this time I kept on diving...... great time great fun!!, did my skillz and finished my open water...

- Ocean - St. Maarteen (@26 yrs old) AWESOME!!!!!!! - Clear blue warm water, 8' swells @ surface, fun good dive w\ wrecks, and lots o fishies!!

How about you?

medic001918
07-26-2007, 10:32
8 foot swells sound likea challenging entry and exit. But glad you had a good dive

My closed water dive came in the pool after I signed up for class. It was fun, but the pool got boring rather quickly.

My first open water dive was at Stonington Point in Connecticut. It's a shallow, well protected dive. It was exciting to just dive and be in open water. We did our skills. I think max depth was 18 ft or so. And as I recall the water was in the 50's. Now that water temp wouldn't be so scary to me....I love my drysuit. But when i did it, it was cold. I was just happy to get done with the class so I could start diving.

Shane

loudgonzo
07-26-2007, 10:41
My first open water dives were at Blue Lagoon, first ocean dive was in the Bahamas.

Blue Lagoon in april-water temp about 70F
Bahamas in May-water temp about 82F

TxHockeyGuy
07-26-2007, 11:37
First time I was on scuba was in the backyard pool probably at age 8.

First time in OW was during my OW checkout dive at Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell TX. Vis was probably about 10' and the temp was in the low 70's.

First time in OW outside of certification was in 53 degree water with about 10' of vis at the same park. I really wish I had waited till it warmed up.

WaterRat
07-26-2007, 11:52
First confined dive was in the indoor pool at Aqua Adventures in big Garland, TX.
Open Water dive for that class was North Park at Canyon Lake in South TX. Viz was about 15 feet and the water was a little chilly in the low 60's.
Ocean Dive was in Akumal, 100 foot viz and 80 degree water.</DIV>

Ron

DUnder
07-26-2007, 12:15
First underwater experience was a discover scuba dive in Oahu,Hawaii.
My confined dives were at the YMCA pool in Grand Forks, ND
My open water dives were at Long Lake, MN water temp was in the mid 60's and vis was about 10-15 feet.

Venio
07-26-2007, 13:19
First confined water dive was at ST pool in 5 ft. vis.
First OW was at CSSP, Terrell, TX in the astonishing 20ft. vis.
Blue water dive is yet to happened.

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 00:43
first time with scuba gear, was in the pool in the back yard.. 6ft. deep... for like 30 minutes... then i was like, gotta go get certified.
pool clases, and then first time in ocean, key largo for checkout dives.

Scubling
07-28-2007, 08:37
My first real dive was in Coki beach, St. Thomas when I was 9 during a resort dive.
I did snuba in Belize before that, but that dosn't really count even though there where sharks!

fire diver
07-28-2007, 08:42
First Dive was at Tenkiller Lake in about 5 foot of vis. The last two checkout dives were farther down the lake, with about 15 foot vis.

georoc01
07-28-2007, 09:15
First Dive was in the Grand Caymans, a shore discovery dive. No log book back then, but I'd estimate the water temps aroudn 80.

Splitlip
07-28-2007, 10:15
Off Palm Beach. 60 footer. Water temp mid 80's. Viz top to bottom. Probably 80 to 100 ft. 6 inch seas. Current mild north.

Saw turtles, nurse sharks, couple of morays, large angels, squirrels, tangs spiny lobster, strawberry grouper, gag grouper, grunts, pork fish, and other assorted reef fish.

My original log book is long gone, but I remember it well.

Happily I will still dive that area and it is still the same except the corals are beat up more today partly because there are so many careless divers. I see fewer food fish because there are more hunters and fishermen taking them.

One thing I have noticed, more nurse sharks today. When I first started diving a lot of people would power head them for fun.

plot
07-28-2007, 10:46
beaver lake arkansas... memorial weekend last year. water was cold, vis sucked, but i had a blast. :D

cummings66
07-28-2007, 11:30
Hey, this is one of the missing posts. I had replied here before. My first confined dive was in a salt water pool in Clifton Hill MO, certifed with a LDS in Moberly. The OW dives were at Table Rock lake and we did it in a 3mm. It got pretty cold below the thermocline, visibility was maybe 10 to 15 feet. Average for the lake.

picxie
07-28-2007, 19:20
My first OW dive was a shore dive, just for practice, at only 4m depth. It was in the ocean but just off the beach with nothing to see. My first 'real' OW dive was #3, off a boat @ 17m. I haven't recorded the temperature but given the time of year it would have been around 17C.

Rascal1933
07-28-2007, 19:46
First underwater experience was a discover scuba dive off the West coast of Oahu,Hawaii.(Awesome dives! < What a way to get introduced to diving.)
My confined dives were at a LDS pool in Joplin,Missouri
My open water dives were at Looe Key, Florida.The water temp was in the mid 80's and vis was about 70-80 feet...Excellent!

Moxie
07-28-2007, 21:27
My first dive in 2003 was in the St. Clair River near London Ontario. Viz was about 30 ft which is pretty good for them parts. Temp was about 54 C. My instructor went down and did some drills and then a quick tour of the garbage people have dumped in there through out the years.

fire diver
07-28-2007, 22:10
My first dive in 2003 was in the St. Clair River near London Ontario. Viz was about 30 ft which is pretty good for them parts. Temp was about 54 C. My instructor went down and did some drills and then a quick tour of the garbage people have dumped in there through out the years.

54 C?!?! Holy hot water batman!

FD

Moxie
07-28-2007, 22:13
Oops 54 F.
<------ Blonde.

techgnostic
07-29-2007, 01:49
OW check out dives in Atlantic waters off Colon, Panama. Everything was perfect. Apart from the pools sessions before, which I do not count.

johlar
07-31-2007, 12:43
Kings Beach, Newport RI

Water temp 62

vis 10 ft went to 1 ft after 5 newbies sat on bottom for 5 minutes

depth 20 ft...21 ft if you used a shovel

NucMed Man
07-31-2007, 13:00
Closed water was at local middle school's pool during summer '06 with 15 y.o. daughter. Pool was salt water so got great break-in for Open water buoancy practice. Temp controlled at ~75 degrees.:smiley20:

Open water done at Dive Park on Catalina Island. Temp 70-75 degrees with 80-100 ft visability. Possibly the greatest moment of my life, next to her birth, was doing this with my daughter.:smiley20: We are both now hooked on it and spend more time together learning new skills and planning trips.

Athena2c
07-31-2007, 13:26
Horrible!!

Monterey-Breakwater shore dive
50 degrees
5 foot swells and VERY strong surge at 30 feet. 3 feet visibility.

Dive instructor should have called it off-most of the class could not get in the water and swim out to the buoy due to conditions. All other classes that had shown up that day aborted. 4 of us got out there and he took me and my buddy down-could only take 2 at a time. He had to hold on to us while we did our skills so we didn't tumble with the surge. We could not clear our masks due to the water being pushed back in. We had to hold the anchor line, which got pulled up and we had to surface and he called the dive (finally)
People had gotten hurt and lost gear due to the conditions. :smiley11:
I was petrified and never wanted to get in the water again, except I am pretty stubborn and finished my dives later anyway. More than half the class did not.

I am so happy I continued because I love diving, but that first dive was the worst ever!

torrey
07-31-2007, 16:14
Certification dives in Blue Lagoon near Huntsville, TX around 1997. Probably about 20-30 foot visibility, ~75 degrees, very little to see.

First ocean dive in Cozumel in 2000. No description needed, like night to day.

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 16:21
my fist closed water dive was ina pool at a high school. they suggested i rented a wetsuit fo the class for 5 bucks. I'm cheap so i was cold. My first OW dive was at pearl lake IL. Early int he season so they water hadn;t warmed up yet. I was cold again but having a great time so I didn't care.

sidneydiver
07-31-2007, 16:43
My 1st confined was in a hotel swimming pool in Jupiter, FL with kids playing above us.
1st OW was also in Jupiter and was pretty miserable. We did all of our skills and had all swallowed plenty of salt water and it was choppy so we spent much of the day chumming for fish. Jupiter is where I dive most now and it's beautiful!

techgnostic
08-02-2007, 19:47
Horrible!!

Monterey-Breakwater shore dive
50 degrees
5 foot swells and VERY strong surge at 30 feet. 3 feet visibility.

Dive instructor should have called it off-most of the class could not get in the water and swim out to the buoy due to conditions. All other classes that had shown up that day aborted. 4 of us got out there and he took me and my buddy down-could only take 2 at a time. He had to hold on to us while we did our skills so we didn't tumble with the surge. We could not clear our masks due to the water being pushed back in. We had to hold the anchor line, which got pulled up and we had to surface and he called the dive (finally)
People had gotten hurt and lost gear due to the conditions. :smiley11:
I was petrified and never wanted to get in the water again, except I am pretty stubborn and finished my dives later anyway. More than half the class did not.

I am so happy I continued because I love diving, but that first dive was the worst ever!

Talk about a trial by fire. Woots to you for sticking to it and not letting the DM's mistake become your failure.

georoc01
08-02-2007, 20:03

54 C?!?! Holy hot water batman!

FD

Yeah, I thought mine were bad at 96 F. 54C works out to like 130..Although I have been to the Strawberry Hot Springs which I think are that hot. Never in dive gear though.

the gooch
08-02-2007, 20:05
Confined dives were in the shallow end of Weeki Wachee Springs.

First "Open Water" was in Weeki Wachee Springs as well, 72 degrees year round and unlimited vis.

First ocean dive was off of West Bay Beach in Roatan. Temp was around 85 degrees with 70+ foot vis. Good times.

comet24
08-03-2007, 05:13
First dive was in a quarry in PA in November. Water temp was in the 50's and so was the air temp.

First ocean dive was in Key West. Big difference.

Queen
08-03-2007, 05:24
Closed - Local swimming pool

Open fresh - Checkout dives at the local State park. It was March in Central IL = water temps of 36 to 40 and vis of 6-10 inches. Really made for a miserable few days. http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/Deepliquid/BVBrrr.gif

Open salt - Gorgeous reef off of Marathon FL. It was like being inside an aquarium! :clap: